CHAT: Vyletni restaurace

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2013
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Talacko wrote:

      > All I can think of are those mobile refreshment caravans etc. you
      > sometimes get, but those are at out-and-out beauty spots i.e. on a
      > tarmac road for one thing. You're right, the culture in the UK is that
      > the walk ends in the pub (not the restaurant, jeez :) ) but for the
      > actual walk you take your own, unless you route it to go through a
      > village with a pub/cafe/ (and now I'm remembering the
      > not-terribly-hardcore Time Out Book of Country Walks near London) -
      > tearoom.

      My brother the hill scrambler would not be impressed. :-O

      The Rest and be Thankful Cafe on the Great Orme comes to mind. Sometimes referred to as a halfway house, but that is a special case.
      http://www.restandbethankful.net/
      Still "halfway cafe" gets a good few hits. Worth remembering.

      > I don't think I've ever seen a bufet in a hut at the side of a
      > footpath/on top of a hill in the UK.

      On geography field trips our teacher often insisted there was a cafe on top of the hill we were climbing, but it had always mysteriously disappeared by the time we got there.

      So when I first heard about restaurants on top of mountains I was like yuss.

      > (We have a footpath running through my parents' yard,
      > but there was never enough traffic to make much of a business
      > opportunity!)

      Makes a nice change from surly landowners and paths that peter out in the middle of nowhere. Ukazatele and znacene cesty are your friends. Hot buttered scones and mugs of tea, 1/2 mile ---> Long lines of hikers going "I must obey".

      Now if I call my halfway cafe a trailside restaurant I can just call the vychazkove cesty trails...

      BR

      Melvyn