RE: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: Vyletni restaurace

  • Sarka Rubkova
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
      What do you mean by "sportovn� prost�ed�"?

      sarka

      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" wrote:

        > What do you mean by "sportovní prostredí"?

        Po malem obcerstveni ve sportovnim prostredi lesní chaty Na Rovince se vratite pres Krausovy boudy zpatky do Spindlerova Mlyna.

        You're familiar with the place, aren't you? You tell me. :-)

        BR

        Melvyn
      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" wrote:
          > >
          > > What do you mean by "sportovní prostredí"?
          >

          > Po malem obcerstveni ve sportovnim prostredi lesní chaty Na Rovince se vratite pres Krausovy boudy zpatky do Spindlerova Mlyna.
          >
          > You're familiar with the place, aren't you? You tell me. :-)

          And five bonus Czechlist points for a translation. :-)

          BR

          Melvyn
        • Kent Christopher Kasha
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
            Hi Melvyn,

            I know that place quite well. We stop there frequently in the summer months.
            Perhaps they mean that the only way to really get there is by hiking or
            cross-country skiing. Otherwise, except for stilts and a trampoline and
            monkey bars for the kids, there is not much to do there in the way of
            sports. Unless they mean speed drinking.

            Kent

            > What do you mean by "sportovn� prostred�"?

            Po malem obcerstveni ve sportovnim prostredi lesn� chaty Na Rovince se

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
              I don't think I have ever been there but my guess is that they actually
              mean 'spartanske' not sportovni. I would go for'simple' or 'modest' in
              English.

              hth
              Martin

            • Irena.Steinerova@tiscali.cz
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                See http://www.turistika.cz/fotogalerie/7017/rovinka
                (esp. the picture "ucim se na chudach.-))
                irena

                Dne 29.1.2013 10:35, Martin Janda napsal(a):

                > I don't think I have ever been there but my guess is that they actually
                > mean 'spartanske' not sportovni. I would go for'simple' or 'modest' in
                > English.
                >
                > hth
                > Martin
                >
                > Dne 29.1.2013 10:26, Melvyn napsal(a):
                > >

                > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                > > "Melvyn" wrote:
                > > >

                > > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>

                > > > Po malem obcerstveni ve sportovnim prostredi lesní chaty Na Rovince
                > > se vratite pres Krausovy boudy zpatky do Spindlerova Mlyna.
                > > >
                > > > You're familiar with the place, aren't you? You tell me. :-)
                > >
                > > And five bonus Czechlist points for a translation. :-)
                > >
                > > BR
                > >
                > > Melvyn

              • Valerie Talacko
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                  All I can think of are those mobile refreshment caravans etc. you
                  sometimes get, but those are at out-and-out beauty spots i.e. on a
                  tarmac road for one thing. You're right, the culture in the UK is that
                  the walk ends in the pub (not the restaurant, jeez :) ) but for the
                  actual walk you take your own, unless you route it to go through a
                  village with a pub/cafe/ (and now I'm remembering the
                  not-terribly-hardcore Time Out Book of Country Walks near London) -
                  tearoom.

                  I don't think I've ever seen a bufet in a hut at the side of a
                  footpath/on top of a hill in the UK. I don't think you even get them on
                  the well-known long-distance footpaths. Sometimes where footpaths pass
                  through people's yards/close by a farm they'll set up something in
                  summer, though. (We have a footpath running through my parents' yard,
                  but there was never enough traffic to make much of a business
                  opportunity!)

                  Valerie

                  On 28.01.2013 11:55, Melvyn wrote:
                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "wustpisk" wrote:
                  > >

                  > > It goes back to your previous statement:
                  > > "If you go hill-walking in England, of course, you end up standing
                  > around in the drizzle with other anoraks sharing flasks of cold tea
                  > and comparing soggy sandwiches. Different culture."
                  > > Can you imagine a place of similar category in the UK with a
                  > sportovni prostredi?
                  >
                  > Darts is a sport, surely. :-) No, you are quite right, so I am
                  > trying to think up something novel but evocative. My latest theory is
                  > that Americans and Canadians will be more familiar with this kind of
                  > thing. Trailside something or other. That might express the
                  > outdoorsiness of it all.
                  >
                  > BR
                  >
                  > Melvyn
                  >

                  > Links:
                  > ------
                  > [1]

                  > [2]

                  > [3]

                  > [4]

                  > [5]

                  > [6]

                  > [7] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Jan Culka
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                    Hi all,

                    I like this speed drinking very much! (I mean, speaking of it, not doing
                    it.)
                    I am there several times every winter when cross-country skiing. There is
                    really nothing sporty except us sportsmen, and lots of skis there. This
                    challet is intended for tourists and skiers, that´s it.
                    Honza

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Culka" wrote:

                      > I like this speed drinking very much! (I mean, speaking of it, not doing it.)

                      Slurp.

                      > I am there several times every winter when cross-country skiing. There is
                      > really nothing sporty except us sportsmen, and lots of skis there.

                      Hmmm, I might just use "sporty" and discreetly forget the "prostredi". Nice sporty word, sporty.

                      I believe the place gets very "zapareny" in winter with skiers coming in every couple of minutes. Lots of hustle and bustle.

                      This
                      > chalet is intended for tourists and skiers, that´s it.

                      Yes, bit of a crossroads, isn't it? And when you say tourists you are particularly thinking of ramblers and hikers, I guess. Which is another line of approach for my trailside restaurant. Ramblers' restaurant. Evocative of wholesome outdoor family fun, right? Or recreational restaurant.

                      Thanks to Kent, Valerie, Irena, Martin, Sarka, Gerry, Charlie, Helga and Milan for all input. Even if I do not use your ideas, somebody else might well find them useful for other contexts.

                      BR

                      Melvyn
                    • Melvyn
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

                        > Thanks to Kent, Valerie, Irena, Martin, Sarka, Gerry, Charlie, Helga and Milan for all input. Even if I do not use your ideas, somebody else might well find them useful for other contexts.

                        And thanks to Jarda for refreshments. Ramblers' refreshments has a nice ring to it in some contexts.

                        BR

                        Melvyn
                      • Valerie Talacko
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                          I agree that "ramblers' refreshments" is a good way of getting the
                          concept across. It makes it clear that it includes smaller types of
                          facility, without having to specify whether they are stands or something
                          slightly bigger.

                          Valerie

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                            > I agree that "ramblers' refreshments" is a good way of getting the
                            > concept across. It makes it clear that it includes smaller types of
                            > facility, without having to specify whether they are stands or something
                            > slightly bigger.

                            True. Restaurace is not always restaurant, Jerome K Jerome notwithstanding.

                            BR

                            Melvyn
                          • Sarka Rubkova
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 30, 2013
                              Jo, zn�m to tam. To je m�sto, kde "kolisti" (kr�sn� slovo, �e? - Mylvyne,
                              m��e� ho za�adit mezi sv� vybran� slova)) a b��ka�i dostanou svou pol�vku a
                              vdolky a r�doby b��ka�i a turisk� dok��� prosed�t (a prop�t) cel� den na
                              tvrd�ch lavic�ch, aby se pak mohli v chat� chlubit sv�mi sportovn�mi
                              �sp�chy.

                              Tak to je to sportovn� p�osted�. U� je mi to jasn�.

                              Sarka

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 30, 2013
                                "Melvyn" wrote:
                                And five bonus Czechlist points for a translation. :-)

                                To nezvladnu!

                                sarka