[Czechlist] 'u"u"u'

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2013
      All my life until recently, I saw quotation marks inside quotation marks written like this:

      "...'...'..."

      Over the past decade or so, I've seen Brits writing them like this:

      '..."..."...'

      Since I learned to write quotation marks from reading and not from a teacher, and since throughout my childhood at least a third of the books I was forced to or chose to read came from the UK, I think I would have noticed if quotation marks were handled differently on opposite sides of the ocean when I was a teenager and young adult.

      Is this a convention that always was or one that has changed in recent decades? I know that some of the things that surprise me in British pravopis turn out to be rather recent innovations.

      Any insights on this?

    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2013
        I've only ever done it the way you are familiar with. I am aware of the
        other system, however.

        Gerry

        On 28 January 2013 18:16, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > All my life until recently, I saw quotation marks inside quotation marks
        > written like this:
        >
        > "...'...'..."
        >
        > Over the past decade or so, I've seen Brits writing them like this:
        >
        > '..."..."...'
        >
        > Since I learned to write quotation marks from reading and not from a
        > teacher, and since throughout my childhood at least a third of the books I
        > was forced to or chose to read came from the UK, I think I would have
        > noticed if quotation marks were handled differently on opposite sides of
        > the ocean when I was a teenager and young adult.
        >
        > Is this a convention that always was or one that has changed in recent
        > decades? I know that some of the things that surprise me in British
        > pravopis turn out to be rather recent innovations.
        >
        > Any insights on this?

        7 Old Shoreham Road
        Brighton
        Sussex
        BN1 5DQ
        U.K.

        Tel/fax: ++ 44 1273208484

        To see a World in a Grain of Sand
        And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
        Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
        And Eternity in an hour.

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2013
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Turner wrote:

          > I've only ever done it the way you are familiar with. I am aware of the
          > other system, however.

          First sentence applies to me too.

          Some more comments on this topic:
          http://community.write.com/topic/1168-quotes-within-quotes-uk/

          BR

          Melvyn
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2013
            Thanks, Gerry.

            By the way, how do you abbreviate "number"? American style manuals all say it's to be capitalized: "No.", but I get a lot of translation memory from Brits, and they almost always write "no."

            Jamie

            On Jan 28, 2013, at 1:28 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

            > I've only ever done it the way you are familiar with. I am aware of the
            > other system, however.
            >
            > Gerry
            >
            > On 28 January 2013 18:16, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> All my life until recently, I saw quotation marks inside quotation marks
            >> written like this:
            >>
            >> "...'...'..."
            >>
            >> Over the past decade or so, I've seen Brits writing them like this:
            >>
            >> '..."..."...'
            >>
            >> Since I learned to write quotation marks from reading and not from a
            >> teacher, and since throughout my childhood at least a third of the books I
            >> was forced to or chose to read came from the UK, I think I would have
            >> noticed if quotation marks were handled differently on opposite sides of
            >> the ocean when I was a teenager and young adult.
            >>
            >> Is this a convention that always was or one that has changed in recent
            >> decades? I know that some of the things that surprise me in British
            >> pravopis turn out to be rather recent innovations.
            >>
            >> Any insights on this?
            >>
            >> Jamie

            > --
            > 7 Old Shoreham Road
            > Brighton
            > Sussex
            > BN1 5DQ
            > U.K.
            >
            > Tel/fax: ++ 44 1273208484
            >
            > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
            > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
            > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
            > And Eternity in an hour.

          • wustpisk
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 29, 2013
              The EU standard is No

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 29, 2013
                Then the EU standard and the US standard agree. Wonder why I keep getting "no." from multiple translators on the other side of the ocean.

                One thing I have noticed from used TM: Hardly anyone knows how to punctuate. You'd think people who make language their business would learn to. I studied to make sure my Czech punctuation was correct (to the best of my knowledge), but I get English translations with French, German and Czech punctuation all the time.

                Jamie