Re: TERM: Vyletni restaurace

  • wustpisk
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
      It goes back to your previous statement:
      "If you go hill-walking in England, of course, you end up standing around in the drizzle with other anoraks sharing flasks of cold tea and comparing soggy sandwiches. Different culture."
      Can you imagine a place of similar category in the UK with a sportovni prostredi? You might be lucky and get a small children's run-around with an entrance fee of £14, whilst the adults stand around the warm bar (or the drizzle, as the case may be) supping real ale, wiping the froth from their beards.
      Czech walkers will, on the other hand, be able to miraculously summon up a fully-equipped volleyball team, plus referee, and will also set up a mini-league with other passing groups of walkers. Different culture.

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

      > Although "inn" has been used as a name for hotel chains, I still feel it can sound very traditional, so perhaps it is suitable for some of your olde-worlde log houses. But then Lucni bouda has a bit too much of the Teutonic grandeur to be a cosy inn IMHO and some of these places have a "sportovni prostredi". :-(
      >
      > :-)
      >
      > Melvyn
      >

      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda wrote:
      > >
      > > Quite anumber of restaurace around Spindl, or rather krkonosske boudy -
      > > if not most of them - do offer accommodation as well...
      > >
      > > Martin
      > >

      > > Dne 28.1.2013 4:29, Charles Stanford napsal(a):
      > > >
      > > > Maybe you could just call them "inns" - by definition they are in the
      > > > countryside or for travellers along a "highway". I suppose that the
      > > > problem
      > > > with that is that inns also traditionally offer accommodation and that
      > > > does
      > > > not really apply. Maybe "pubs and other wayside watering holes", but maybe
      > > > that sounds a bit too Private Eye. A tricky one...
      > > >
      > > > On 27 January 2013 23:30, Foren - Helga listen@

    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "wustpisk" wrote:

        > It goes back to your previous statement:
        > "If you go hill-walking in England, of course, you end up standing around in the drizzle with other anoraks sharing flasks of cold tea and comparing soggy sandwiches. Different culture."
        > Can you imagine a place of similar category in the UK with a sportovni prostredi?

        Darts is a sport, surely. :-) No, you are quite right, so I am trying to think up something novel but evocative. My latest theory is that Americans and Canadians will be more familiar with this kind of thing. Trailside something or other. That might express the outdoorsiness of it all.

        BR

        Melvyn
      • Sarka Rubkova
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
          What do you mean by "sportovn� prost�ed�"?

          sarka

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          Martin Janda wrote:

          > Quite anumber of restaurace around Spindl, or rather krkonosske boudy -
          > if not most of them - do offer accommodation as well...
          >
          > Martin
          >

          > Dne 28.1.2013 4:29, Charles Stanford napsal(a):
          > >
          > > Maybe you could just call them "inns" - by definition they are in the
          > > countryside or for travellers along a "highway". I suppose that the
          > > problem
          > > with that is that inns also traditionally offer accommodation and that
          > > does
          > > not really apply. Maybe "pubs and other wayside watering holes", but
          maybe
          > > that sounds a bit too Private Eye. A tricky one...
          > >
          > > On 27 January 2013 23:30, Foren - Helga listen@...
          > > > wrote:
          > >
          > > > I asked a british friend, and she suggests "countryside inn" or (as
          > > > already has been mentioned here) wayside inn.
          > > > HTH
          > > > Helga

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" wrote:

            > What do you mean by "sportovní prostredí"?

            Po malem obcerstveni ve sportovnim prostredi lesní chaty Na Rovince se vratite pres Krausovy boudy zpatky do Spindlerova Mlyna.

            You're familiar with the place, aren't you? You tell me. :-)

            BR

            Melvyn
          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" wrote:
              > >
              > > What do you mean by "sportovní prostredí"?
              >

              > Po malem obcerstveni ve sportovnim prostredi lesní chaty Na Rovince se vratite pres Krausovy boudy zpatky do Spindlerova Mlyna.
              >
              > You're familiar with the place, aren't you? You tell me. :-)

              And five bonus Czechlist points for a translation. :-)

              BR

              Melvyn
            • Kent Christopher Kasha
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                Hi Melvyn,

                I know that place quite well. We stop there frequently in the summer months.
                Perhaps they mean that the only way to really get there is by hiking or
                cross-country skiing. Otherwise, except for stilts and a trampoline and
                monkey bars for the kids, there is not much to do there in the way of
                sports. Unless they mean speed drinking.

                Kent

                > What do you mean by "sportovn� prostred�"?

                Po malem obcerstveni ve sportovnim prostredi lesn� chaty Na Rovince se

                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                  I don't think I have ever been there but my guess is that they actually
                  mean 'spartanske' not sportovni. I would go for'simple' or 'modest' in
                  English.

                  hth
                  Martin

                • Irena.Steinerova@tiscali.cz
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                    See http://www.turistika.cz/fotogalerie/7017/rovinka
                    (esp. the picture "ucim se na chudach.-))
                    irena

                    Dne 29.1.2013 10:35, Martin Janda napsal(a):

                    > I don't think I have ever been there but my guess is that they actually
                    > mean 'spartanske' not sportovni. I would go for'simple' or 'modest' in
                    > English.
                    >
                    > hth
                    > Martin
                    >
                    > Dne 29.1.2013 10:26, Melvyn napsal(a):
                    > >

                    > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                    > > "Melvyn" wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>

                    > > > Po malem obcerstveni ve sportovnim prostredi lesní chaty Na Rovince
                    > > se vratite pres Krausovy boudy zpatky do Spindlerova Mlyna.
                    > > >
                    > > > You're familiar with the place, aren't you? You tell me. :-)
                    > >
                    > > And five bonus Czechlist points for a translation. :-)
                    > >
                    > > BR
                    > >
                    > > Melvyn

                  • Valerie Talacko
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                      All I can think of are those mobile refreshment caravans etc. you
                      sometimes get, but those are at out-and-out beauty spots i.e. on a
                      tarmac road for one thing. You're right, the culture in the UK is that
                      the walk ends in the pub (not the restaurant, jeez :) ) but for the
                      actual walk you take your own, unless you route it to go through a
                      village with a pub/cafe/ (and now I'm remembering the
                      not-terribly-hardcore Time Out Book of Country Walks near London) -
                      tearoom.

                      I don't think I've ever seen a bufet in a hut at the side of a
                      footpath/on top of a hill in the UK. I don't think you even get them on
                      the well-known long-distance footpaths. Sometimes where footpaths pass
                      through people's yards/close by a farm they'll set up something in
                      summer, though. (We have a footpath running through my parents' yard,
                      but there was never enough traffic to make much of a business
                      opportunity!)

                      Valerie

                      On 28.01.2013 11:55, Melvyn wrote:
                      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "wustpisk" wrote:
                      > >

                      > > It goes back to your previous statement:
                      > > "If you go hill-walking in England, of course, you end up standing
                      > around in the drizzle with other anoraks sharing flasks of cold tea
                      > and comparing soggy sandwiches. Different culture."
                      > > Can you imagine a place of similar category in the UK with a
                      > sportovni prostredi?
                      >
                      > Darts is a sport, surely. :-) No, you are quite right, so I am
                      > trying to think up something novel but evocative. My latest theory is
                      > that Americans and Canadians will be more familiar with this kind of
                      > thing. Trailside something or other. That might express the
                      > outdoorsiness of it all.
                      >
                      > BR
                      >
                      > Melvyn
                      >

                      > Links:
                      > ------
                      > [1]

                      > [2]

                      > [3]

                      > [4]

                      > [5]

                      > [6]

                      > [7] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Jan Culka
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                        Hi all,

                        I like this speed drinking very much! (I mean, speaking of it, not doing
                        it.)
                        I am there several times every winter when cross-country skiing. There is
                        really nothing sporty except us sportsmen, and lots of skis there. This
                        challet is intended for tourists and skiers, that´s it.
                        Honza

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Culka" wrote:

                          > I like this speed drinking very much! (I mean, speaking of it, not doing it.)

                          Slurp.

                          > I am there several times every winter when cross-country skiing. There is
                          > really nothing sporty except us sportsmen, and lots of skis there.

                          Hmmm, I might just use "sporty" and discreetly forget the "prostredi". Nice sporty word, sporty.

                          I believe the place gets very "zapareny" in winter with skiers coming in every couple of minutes. Lots of hustle and bustle.

                          This
                          > chalet is intended for tourists and skiers, that´s it.

                          Yes, bit of a crossroads, isn't it? And when you say tourists you are particularly thinking of ramblers and hikers, I guess. Which is another line of approach for my trailside restaurant. Ramblers' restaurant. Evocative of wholesome outdoor family fun, right? Or recreational restaurant.

                          Thanks to Kent, Valerie, Irena, Martin, Sarka, Gerry, Charlie, Helga and Milan for all input. Even if I do not use your ideas, somebody else might well find them useful for other contexts.

                          BR

                          Melvyn
                        • Melvyn
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

                            > Thanks to Kent, Valerie, Irena, Martin, Sarka, Gerry, Charlie, Helga and Milan for all input. Even if I do not use your ideas, somebody else might well find them useful for other contexts.

                            And thanks to Jarda for refreshments. Ramblers' refreshments has a nice ring to it in some contexts.

                            BR

                            Melvyn
                          • Valerie Talacko
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                              I agree that "ramblers' refreshments" is a good way of getting the
                              concept across. It makes it clear that it includes smaller types of
                              facility, without having to specify whether they are stands or something
                              slightly bigger.

                              Valerie

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                                > I agree that "ramblers' refreshments" is a good way of getting the
                                > concept across. It makes it clear that it includes smaller types of
                                > facility, without having to specify whether they are stands or something
                                > slightly bigger.

                                True. Restaurace is not always restaurant, Jerome K Jerome notwithstanding.

                                BR

                                Melvyn
                              • Sarka Rubkova
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 30, 2013
                                  Jo, zn�m to tam. To je m�sto, kde "kolisti" (kr�sn� slovo, �e? - Mylvyne,
                                  m��e� ho za�adit mezi sv� vybran� slova)) a b��ka�i dostanou svou pol�vku a
                                  vdolky a r�doby b��ka�i a turisk� dok��� prosed�t (a prop�t) cel� den na
                                  tvrd�ch lavic�ch, aby se pak mohli v chat� chlubit sv�mi sportovn�mi
                                  �sp�chy.

                                  Tak to je to sportovn� p�osted�. U� je mi to jasn�.

                                  Sarka

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 30, 2013
                                    "Melvyn" wrote:
                                    And five bonus Czechlist points for a translation. :-)

                                    To nezvladnu!

                                    sarka