Re: TERM: Vyletni restaurace

  • Milan
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 27, 2013
      Cesi a Nemci jsou v zime, v lete, na vylete. Vyletni neni letni.
      Kdyz je snih funguji restaurace, chaty a bufety i v zime.
      Pred sto lety pouzival J.K.Jerome "restaurant":

      Three Men on the Bummel by Jerome K. Jerome

      CHAPTER VII

      Your German likes the country, but he prefers it as the lady thought she would the noble savage--more dressed. He likes his walk through the wood--to a restaurant. But the pathway must not be too steep, it must have a brick gutter running down one side of it to drain it, and every twenty yards or so it must have its seat on which he can rest and mop his brow; for your German would no more think of sitting on the grass than would an English bishop dream of rolling down One Tree Hill. He likes his view from the summit of the hill, but he likes to find there a stone tablet telling him what to look at, find a table and bench at which he can sit to partake of the frugal beer and "belegte Semmel" he has been careful to bring with him. If, in addition, he can find a police notice posted on a tree, forbidding him to do something or other, that gives him an extra sense of comfort and security.

      At every hundred yards it gently descended down three shallow wooden platforms. For a space on either side the ground had been cleared, and at regular intervals young poplars planted. Each sapling was protected by a shield of wickerwork and bossed by an iron rod. In the course of a couple of years it is the hope of the local council to have "finished" that valley throughout its entire length, and made it fit for a tidy-minded lover of German nature to walk in. There will be a seat every fifty yards, a police notice every hundred, and a restaurant every half-mile.

      CHAPTER XII

      We are grieved at the earthly instincts of the German--A superb view, but no restaurant--Continental opinion of the Englishman--That he does not know enough to come in out of the rain--There comes a weary traveller with a brick--The hurting of the dog--An undesirable family residence--A fruitful region--A merry old soul comes up the hill--George, alarmed at the lateness of the hour, hastens down the other side--Harris follows him, to show him the way--I hate being alone, and follow Harris--Pronunciation specially designed for use of foreigners.

      A thing that vexes much the high-class Anglo-Saxon soul is the earthly instinct prompting the German to fix a restaurant at the goal of every excursion. On mountain summit, in fairy glen, on lonely pass, by waterfall or winding stream, stands ever the busy Wirtschaft. How can one rhapsodise over a view when surrounded by beer-stained tables? How lose one's self in historical reverie amid the odour of roast veal and spinach?

      Atd. Jeste jste necetli o navsteve Prahy, jizde vlakem, atd.?

      Milan

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

      > Okoli Spindlerova Mlyna nabizi v lete pres 180 km turistickych cest. Na kazde z nich se muzete obcerstvit v príjemnem prostredi vyletnich restauraci nebo bufetu.
      >
      > Any inspiration here?
    • Foren - Helga
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 27, 2013
        I asked a british friend, and she suggests "countryside inn" or (as
        already has been mentioned here) wayside inn.
        HTH
        Helga

        Am 27.01.2013 14:45, schrieb Melvyn:

        > Okoli Spindlerova Mlyna nabizi v lete pres 180 km turistickych cest.
        > Na kazde z nich se muzete obcerstvit v pr�jemnem prostredi vyletnich
        > restauraci nebo bufetu.
        >
        > Any inspiration here? I just can't bring anything to mind that sounds
        > convincing. If you go hill-walking in England, of course, you end up
        > standing around in the drizzle with other anoraks sharing flasks of
        > cold tea and comparing soggy sandwiches. Different culture.
        >
        > BR
        >
        > Melvyn
        >

        > =======
        > E-Mail von PC Tools gescannt -- Keine Viren oder Spyware gefunden.
        > (Email Guard: 9.0.0.2308, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.21000)
        > http://www.pctools.com
        > <http://www.pctools.com/?cclick=EmailFooterClean_51>
        > =======

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 27, 2013
          Many thanks for the delightful JKJ passage, Milan.

          > Pred sto lety pouzival J.K.Jerome "restaurant":

          Jerome Klapka Jerome can sometimes sound amazingly modern and relevant IMHO and this might well be a good example.

          Now I am toying with the thought of combining this with Valerie's idea. "Country-pub-style restaurant" gets a surprisingly high number of hits. So does "wayside inn restaurant".

          So does "mountain chalet restaurant". Hmmm everything gets a surprisingly high number of hits tonight. Big computer at Mountain View probably needs a good kick.

          "Wayside refreshments" might work sometimes too.

          Thanks to everybody for your ideas. Have to think this one over carefully.

          > Atd. Jeste jste necetli o navsteve Prahy, jizde vlakem, atd.?

          Oooh spoilers...

          BR

          Melvyn
          From an old blog entry:
          Pozvali jsme sestru, svagra a jedenactiletou neter ze severni Anglie k nam, abychom stravili tyden spolu v horach. Sestra a svagr se vlastne seznamili v britske organizaci turistickych nadsencu a jako jini v me rodine dovedou latinsky identifikovat kazdou hromadu, do ktere na venkove slapnou. A jako hodne skalnych britskych turistu mohou brat svou zalibu puritansky vazne a pokladaji i nejmensi kiosek na vrcholu hor za neodpustitelnou zkazenost a znesveceni prirody, kdyz si clovek muze tak zdrave uzit uprostred huste mlhy na Bene Nevisu s termoskou preslazeneho caje. Takze opravdu zvedli oboci, kdyz uvideli nase hezke ceske mnohopatrove boudy se svymi dorticky se slehackou i ten polsky letajici talir tam na Snezce.
          Musim ale priznat, ze i ja jsem vyjadril znacny udiv, kdyz jsem poprve zahledl, jak se z Ruzove hory k nadherne Snezce tam nahore stoupal nekonecny pruvod a dokonce jsem zaznamenal v sobe podvedome nadeje, ze to bude asi pouze nejake stare zakulisi od prvni epizody Star Trek a ze opravdova Snezka bude jenom pahorek za rohem.
          No, kdyby Snezka stala v Anglii tam bychom vsichni vesele sedeli ve vetru na vrcholu mezi ovcemi a delili se o mokre chlebicky. Letni turisticka kultura je tam proste jina, ale bylo zajimave sledovat jak se pribuzni dali korompovat s tou slehackou a tak, aniz by odporovali vic nez velmi symbolicky.
        • Charles Stanford
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 27, 2013
            Maybe you could just call them "inns" - by definition they are in the
            countryside or for travellers along a "highway". I suppose that the problem
            with that is that inns also traditionally offer accommodation and that does
            not really apply. Maybe "pubs and other wayside watering holes", but maybe
            that sounds a bit too Private Eye. A tricky one...

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 27, 2013
              Quite anumber of restaurace around Spindl, or rather krkonosske boudy -
              if not most of them - do offer accommodation as well...

              Martin

              Dne 28.1.2013 4:29, Charles Stanford napsal(a):

              > Maybe you could just call them "inns" - by definition they are in the
              > countryside or for travellers along a "highway". I suppose that the
              > problem
              > with that is that inns also traditionally offer accommodation and that
              > does
              > not really apply. Maybe "pubs and other wayside watering holes", but maybe
              > that sounds a bit too Private Eye. A tricky one...
              >
              > On 27 January 2013 23:30, Foren - Helga listen@...
              > <mailto:listen%40prague-bt.com>> wrote:
              >
              > > I asked a british friend, and she suggests "countryside inn" or (as
              > > already has been mentioned here) wayside inn.
              > > HTH
              > > Helga
              > >
              > > Am 27.01.2013 14:45, schrieb Melvyn:
              > > >
              > > > Okoli Spindlerova Mlyna nabizi v lete pres 180 km turistickych cest.
              > > > Na kazde z nich se muzete obcerstvit v príjemnem prostredi vyletnich
              > > > restauraci nebo bufetu.
              > > >
              > > > Any inspiration here? I just can't bring anything to mind that sounds
              > > > convincing. If you go hill-walking in England, of course, you end up
              > > > standing around in the drizzle with other anoraks sharing flasks of
              > > > cold tea and comparing soggy sandwiches. Different culture.
              > > >
              > > > BR
              > > >
              > > > Melvyn
              > > >

              > > > =======
              > > > E-Mail von PC Tools gescannt -- Keine Viren oder Spyware gefunden.
              > > > (Email Guard: 9.0.0.2308, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.21000)
              > > > http://www.pctools.com
              > > > http://www.pctools.com/?cclick=EmailFooterClean_51>
              > > > =======

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
                Although "inn" has been used as a name for hotel chains, I still feel it can sound very traditional, so perhaps it is suitable for some of your olde-worlde log houses. But then Lucni bouda has a bit too much of the Teutonic grandeur to be a cosy inn IMHO and some of these places have a "sportovni prostredi". :-(

                :-)

                Melvyn

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda wrote:

                > Quite anumber of restaurace around Spindl, or rather krkonosske boudy -
                > if not most of them - do offer accommodation as well...
                >
                > Martin
                >

                > Dne 28.1.2013 4:29, Charles Stanford napsal(a):
                > >
                > > Maybe you could just call them "inns" - by definition they are in the
                > > countryside or for travellers along a "highway". I suppose that the
                > > problem
                > > with that is that inns also traditionally offer accommodation and that
                > > does
                > > not really apply. Maybe "pubs and other wayside watering holes", but maybe
                > > that sounds a bit too Private Eye. A tricky one...
                > >
                > > On 27 January 2013 23:30, Foren - Helga listen@...
                > > > wrote:
                > >
                > > > I asked a british friend, and she suggests "countryside inn" or (as
                > > > already has been mentioned here) wayside inn.
                > > > HTH
                > > > Helga

              • wustpisk
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
                  It goes back to your previous statement:
                  "If you go hill-walking in England, of course, you end up standing around in the drizzle with other anoraks sharing flasks of cold tea and comparing soggy sandwiches. Different culture."
                  Can you imagine a place of similar category in the UK with a sportovni prostredi? You might be lucky and get a small children's run-around with an entrance fee of £14, whilst the adults stand around the warm bar (or the drizzle, as the case may be) supping real ale, wiping the froth from their beards.
                  Czech walkers will, on the other hand, be able to miraculously summon up a fully-equipped volleyball team, plus referee, and will also set up a mini-league with other passing groups of walkers. Different culture.

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

                  > Although "inn" has been used as a name for hotel chains, I still feel it can sound very traditional, so perhaps it is suitable for some of your olde-worlde log houses. But then Lucni bouda has a bit too much of the Teutonic grandeur to be a cosy inn IMHO and some of these places have a "sportovni prostredi". :-(
                  >
                  > :-)
                  >
                  > Melvyn
                  >

                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Quite anumber of restaurace around Spindl, or rather krkonosske boudy -
                  > > if not most of them - do offer accommodation as well...
                  > >
                  > > Martin
                  > >

                  > > Dne 28.1.2013 4:29, Charles Stanford napsal(a):
                  > > >
                  > > > Maybe you could just call them "inns" - by definition they are in the
                  > > > countryside or for travellers along a "highway". I suppose that the
                  > > > problem
                  > > > with that is that inns also traditionally offer accommodation and that
                  > > > does
                  > > > not really apply. Maybe "pubs and other wayside watering holes", but maybe
                  > > > that sounds a bit too Private Eye. A tricky one...
                  > > >
                  > > > On 27 January 2013 23:30, Foren - Helga listen@

                • Melvyn
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "wustpisk" wrote:

                    > It goes back to your previous statement:
                    > "If you go hill-walking in England, of course, you end up standing around in the drizzle with other anoraks sharing flasks of cold tea and comparing soggy sandwiches. Different culture."
                    > Can you imagine a place of similar category in the UK with a sportovni prostredi?

                    Darts is a sport, surely. :-) No, you are quite right, so I am trying to think up something novel but evocative. My latest theory is that Americans and Canadians will be more familiar with this kind of thing. Trailside something or other. That might express the outdoorsiness of it all.

                    BR

                    Melvyn
                  • Sarka Rubkova
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
                      What do you mean by "sportovn� prost�ed�"?

                      sarka

                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                      Martin Janda wrote:

                      > Quite anumber of restaurace around Spindl, or rather krkonosske boudy -
                      > if not most of them - do offer accommodation as well...
                      >
                      > Martin
                      >

                      > Dne 28.1.2013 4:29, Charles Stanford napsal(a):
                      > >
                      > > Maybe you could just call them "inns" - by definition they are in the
                      > > countryside or for travellers along a "highway". I suppose that the
                      > > problem
                      > > with that is that inns also traditionally offer accommodation and that
                      > > does
                      > > not really apply. Maybe "pubs and other wayside watering holes", but
                      maybe
                      > > that sounds a bit too Private Eye. A tricky one...
                      > >
                      > > On 27 January 2013 23:30, Foren - Helga listen@...
                      > > > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > I asked a british friend, and she suggests "countryside inn" or (as
                      > > > already has been mentioned here) wayside inn.
                      > > > HTH
                      > > > Helga

                    • Melvyn
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" wrote:

                        > What do you mean by "sportovní prostredí"?

                        Po malem obcerstveni ve sportovnim prostredi lesní chaty Na Rovince se vratite pres Krausovy boudy zpatky do Spindlerova Mlyna.

                        You're familiar with the place, aren't you? You tell me. :-)

                        BR

                        Melvyn
                      • Melvyn
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

                          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" wrote:
                          > >
                          > > What do you mean by "sportovní prostredí"?
                          >

                          > Po malem obcerstveni ve sportovnim prostredi lesní chaty Na Rovince se vratite pres Krausovy boudy zpatky do Spindlerova Mlyna.
                          >
                          > You're familiar with the place, aren't you? You tell me. :-)

                          And five bonus Czechlist points for a translation. :-)

                          BR

                          Melvyn
                        • Kent Christopher Kasha
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                            Hi Melvyn,

                            I know that place quite well. We stop there frequently in the summer months.
                            Perhaps they mean that the only way to really get there is by hiking or
                            cross-country skiing. Otherwise, except for stilts and a trampoline and
                            monkey bars for the kids, there is not much to do there in the way of
                            sports. Unless they mean speed drinking.

                            Kent

                            > What do you mean by "sportovn� prostred�"?

                            Po malem obcerstveni ve sportovnim prostredi lesn� chaty Na Rovince se

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                              I don't think I have ever been there but my guess is that they actually
                              mean 'spartanske' not sportovni. I would go for'simple' or 'modest' in
                              English.

                              hth
                              Martin

                            • Irena.Steinerova@tiscali.cz
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                                See http://www.turistika.cz/fotogalerie/7017/rovinka
                                (esp. the picture "ucim se na chudach.-))
                                irena

                                Dne 29.1.2013 10:35, Martin Janda napsal(a):

                                > I don't think I have ever been there but my guess is that they actually
                                > mean 'spartanske' not sportovni. I would go for'simple' or 'modest' in
                                > English.
                                >
                                > hth
                                > Martin
                                >
                                > Dne 29.1.2013 10:26, Melvyn napsal(a):
                                > >

                                > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                > > "Melvyn" wrote:
                                > > >

                                > > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>

                                > > > Po malem obcerstveni ve sportovnim prostredi lesní chaty Na Rovince
                                > > se vratite pres Krausovy boudy zpatky do Spindlerova Mlyna.
                                > > >
                                > > > You're familiar with the place, aren't you? You tell me. :-)
                                > >
                                > > And five bonus Czechlist points for a translation. :-)
                                > >
                                > > BR
                                > >
                                > > Melvyn

                              • Valerie Talacko
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                                  All I can think of are those mobile refreshment caravans etc. you
                                  sometimes get, but those are at out-and-out beauty spots i.e. on a
                                  tarmac road for one thing. You're right, the culture in the UK is that
                                  the walk ends in the pub (not the restaurant, jeez :) ) but for the
                                  actual walk you take your own, unless you route it to go through a
                                  village with a pub/cafe/ (and now I'm remembering the
                                  not-terribly-hardcore Time Out Book of Country Walks near London) -
                                  tearoom.

                                  I don't think I've ever seen a bufet in a hut at the side of a
                                  footpath/on top of a hill in the UK. I don't think you even get them on
                                  the well-known long-distance footpaths. Sometimes where footpaths pass
                                  through people's yards/close by a farm they'll set up something in
                                  summer, though. (We have a footpath running through my parents' yard,
                                  but there was never enough traffic to make much of a business
                                  opportunity!)

                                  Valerie

                                  On 28.01.2013 11:55, Melvyn wrote:
                                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "wustpisk" wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > It goes back to your previous statement:
                                  > > "If you go hill-walking in England, of course, you end up standing
                                  > around in the drizzle with other anoraks sharing flasks of cold tea
                                  > and comparing soggy sandwiches. Different culture."
                                  > > Can you imagine a place of similar category in the UK with a
                                  > sportovni prostredi?
                                  >
                                  > Darts is a sport, surely. :-) No, you are quite right, so I am
                                  > trying to think up something novel but evocative. My latest theory is
                                  > that Americans and Canadians will be more familiar with this kind of
                                  > thing. Trailside something or other. That might express the
                                  > outdoorsiness of it all.
                                  >
                                  > BR
                                  >
                                  > Melvyn
                                  >

                                  > Links:
                                  > ------
                                  > [1]

                                  > [2]

                                  > [3]

                                  > [4]

                                  > [5]

                                  > [6]

                                  > [7] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                • Jan Culka
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                                    Hi all,

                                    I like this speed drinking very much! (I mean, speaking of it, not doing
                                    it.)
                                    I am there several times every winter when cross-country skiing. There is
                                    really nothing sporty except us sportsmen, and lots of skis there. This
                                    challet is intended for tourists and skiers, that´s it.
                                    Honza

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Culka" wrote:

                                      > I like this speed drinking very much! (I mean, speaking of it, not doing it.)

                                      Slurp.

                                      > I am there several times every winter when cross-country skiing. There is
                                      > really nothing sporty except us sportsmen, and lots of skis there.

                                      Hmmm, I might just use "sporty" and discreetly forget the "prostredi". Nice sporty word, sporty.

                                      I believe the place gets very "zapareny" in winter with skiers coming in every couple of minutes. Lots of hustle and bustle.

                                      This
                                      > chalet is intended for tourists and skiers, that´s it.

                                      Yes, bit of a crossroads, isn't it? And when you say tourists you are particularly thinking of ramblers and hikers, I guess. Which is another line of approach for my trailside restaurant. Ramblers' restaurant. Evocative of wholesome outdoor family fun, right? Or recreational restaurant.

                                      Thanks to Kent, Valerie, Irena, Martin, Sarka, Gerry, Charlie, Helga and Milan for all input. Even if I do not use your ideas, somebody else might well find them useful for other contexts.

                                      BR

                                      Melvyn
                                    • Melvyn
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

                                        > Thanks to Kent, Valerie, Irena, Martin, Sarka, Gerry, Charlie, Helga and Milan for all input. Even if I do not use your ideas, somebody else might well find them useful for other contexts.

                                        And thanks to Jarda for refreshments. Ramblers' refreshments has a nice ring to it in some contexts.

                                        BR

                                        Melvyn
                                      • Valerie Talacko
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                                          I agree that "ramblers' refreshments" is a good way of getting the
                                          concept across. It makes it clear that it includes smaller types of
                                          facility, without having to specify whether they are stands or something
                                          slightly bigger.

                                          Valerie

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                                            > I agree that "ramblers' refreshments" is a good way of getting the
                                            > concept across. It makes it clear that it includes smaller types of
                                            > facility, without having to specify whether they are stands or something
                                            > slightly bigger.

                                            True. Restaurace is not always restaurant, Jerome K Jerome notwithstanding.

                                            BR

                                            Melvyn
                                          • Sarka Rubkova
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 30, 2013
                                              Jo, zn�m to tam. To je m�sto, kde "kolisti" (kr�sn� slovo, �e? - Mylvyne,
                                              m��e� ho za�adit mezi sv� vybran� slova)) a b��ka�i dostanou svou pol�vku a
                                              vdolky a r�doby b��ka�i a turisk� dok��� prosed�t (a prop�t) cel� den na
                                              tvrd�ch lavic�ch, aby se pak mohli v chat� chlubit sv�mi sportovn�mi
                                              �sp�chy.

                                              Tak to je to sportovn� p�osted�. U� je mi to jasn�.

                                              Sarka

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 30, 2013
                                                "Melvyn" wrote:
                                                And five bonus Czechlist points for a translation. :-)

                                                To nezvladnu!

                                                sarka