Re: [Czechlist] CZ>EN medical "dietni chyba"

  • Josef Hlavac
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
      Well, you might be right Matej, but I'm not convinced. I'm no medical
      expert but I remember that the doctor examining my child used the same
      expression to refer to such a broad meaning that I describe.

      Having said that, I absolutely agree that the report itself should
      provide some guidance.

      Josef

    • Pilucha, Jiri
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
        Besides having eaten something bad, dietni chyba also refers to having drunk too much (alcohol)

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
          Then in English, the doctor would probably ask, "Have you eaten or drunk anything you shouldn't?" Don't know how he'd write it on a report.

          Jamie

          On Jan 23, 2013, at 10:50 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

          > Besides having eaten something bad, dietni chyba also refers to having drunk too much (alcohol)

        • Pilucha, Jiri
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
            An example of a medical context
            http://ose.zshk.cz/vyuka/lekarske-diagnozy.aspx?id=92

            Then in English, the doctor would probably ask, "Have you eaten or drunk anything you shouldn't?" Don't know how he'd write it on a report.

            Jamie

            On Jan 23, 2013, at 10:50 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

            > Besides having eaten something bad, dietni chyba also refers to having drunk too much (alcohol)

          • kingakawecka
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
              The more I read about it, the more confused I am. This seems to be one of those vague terms which is context dependent. For instance, in this Wikipedia entry on Gastroenteritis dietní chyba appears in the Differential Diagnosis section, which would suggest that it is a disease/condition, which needs to be ruled out when making a diagnosis, just like the other two (salmonella infection and intoxication):

              http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroenteritida

              On the other hand, the patient in question was suffering from Crohn's disease, so it is possible that he was following a diet and therefore said that he was compliant with the dietary recommendations.

              I also found a definition here:

              http://lekarske.slovniky.cz/lexikon-pojem/dietni-chyba

              All in all, I think the best option would be some vague expression, maybe something like: Patient does not report dietary non-compliance.

              Thanks everyone for your contributions.
              Best regards
              Kinga Kawecka

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
                Even more vague would be, "Patient does not report dietary issues."

                Jamie

                On Jan 23, 2013, at 11:41 AM, kingakawecka wrote:

                > All in all, I think the best option would be some vague expression, maybe something like: Patient does not report dietary non-compliance.

              • (no author)
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
                  Kinga> On the other hand, the patient in question was suffering from
                  Crohn's disease, so it is possible that he was following a diet and
                  therefore said that he was compliant with the dietary recommendations.

                  I am 99.9 percent sure that in this case the doctor asked and the
                  patient replied about a specific diet - I have (had, hopefully, seems
                  to be OK now) Crohn's/UC and the most important thing is diet - in the
                  sense of not eating raw fibres, seeds, nuts, most fruits, etc. Other
                  than that, someone with Crohn's or UC/Ulcerative colitis can eat as
                  much or as badly (as seen from a normal healthy diet's perspective) as
                  they can, in fact it's recommended..

                  Some people even do what's caled 'paleo dieta' (Paleolithic diet?) Only
                  meat and eggs and the like, no sugar (no pasta, no bread), very little
                  veg or fruit, if any.. and it does them good... other people argue
                  that's good for all of us since we only started eating all that other
                  stuff relatively recently (in evolution), that's a bit of a debate, but
                  it's certainly good for you if you have anything like Crohn's/UC..

                  Anyway, as I said this was most probably about a specific diet, so IMHO
                  Jamie's original dietary non-compliance works well here..

                  Matej