Re[2]: [Czechlist] CZ>EN medical "dietni chyba"

  • (no author)
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
      That may be in the general sense, Josefe, but IMHO when the report says
      'neguje dietni chybu' then what you suggest (anything vaguely 'bad' for
      one's health) is too broad... if he was admited with belly/abdominal
      pain and the doctor asked him "did you eat anything bad" the answer
      would greatly depend on what that particular patient thinks is bad and
      would not be very useful for the doctor...

      I think what we have here is a person with a certain condition
      (gastritic ulcers, or gastro-intestinal disease or something like
      that), who has been told specifically what not to eat (what his diet
      should be), who then gets an accute problem, goes to hospital, and when
      asked, tells the doctor no, I haven't eaten any of the stuff I'm not
      supposed to eat, or yes, I have been following my diet..

      Than's my take on it, anyway, the report will probably contain a
      diagnosis, so Kinga can work from there..

      Matej
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
        Well, you might be right Matej, but I'm not convinced. I'm no medical
        expert but I remember that the doctor examining my child used the same
        expression to refer to such a broad meaning that I describe.

        Having said that, I absolutely agree that the report itself should
        provide some guidance.

        Josef

      • Pilucha, Jiri
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
          Besides having eaten something bad, dietni chyba also refers to having drunk too much (alcohol)

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
            Then in English, the doctor would probably ask, "Have you eaten or drunk anything you shouldn't?" Don't know how he'd write it on a report.

            Jamie

            On Jan 23, 2013, at 10:50 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

            > Besides having eaten something bad, dietni chyba also refers to having drunk too much (alcohol)

          • Pilucha, Jiri
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
              An example of a medical context
              http://ose.zshk.cz/vyuka/lekarske-diagnozy.aspx?id=92

              Then in English, the doctor would probably ask, "Have you eaten or drunk anything you shouldn't?" Don't know how he'd write it on a report.

              Jamie

              On Jan 23, 2013, at 10:50 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

              > Besides having eaten something bad, dietni chyba also refers to having drunk too much (alcohol)

            • kingakawecka
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
                The more I read about it, the more confused I am. This seems to be one of those vague terms which is context dependent. For instance, in this Wikipedia entry on Gastroenteritis dietní chyba appears in the Differential Diagnosis section, which would suggest that it is a disease/condition, which needs to be ruled out when making a diagnosis, just like the other two (salmonella infection and intoxication):

                http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroenteritida

                On the other hand, the patient in question was suffering from Crohn's disease, so it is possible that he was following a diet and therefore said that he was compliant with the dietary recommendations.

                I also found a definition here:

                http://lekarske.slovniky.cz/lexikon-pojem/dietni-chyba

                All in all, I think the best option would be some vague expression, maybe something like: Patient does not report dietary non-compliance.

                Thanks everyone for your contributions.
                Best regards
                Kinga Kawecka

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
                  Even more vague would be, "Patient does not report dietary issues."

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
                    Kinga> On the other hand, the patient in question was suffering from
                    Crohn's disease, so it is possible that he was following a diet and
                    therefore said that he was compliant with the dietary recommendations.

                    I am 99.9 percent sure that in this case the doctor asked and the
                    patient replied about a specific diet - I have (had, hopefully, seems
                    to be OK now) Crohn's/UC and the most important thing is diet - in the
                    sense of not eating raw fibres, seeds, nuts, most fruits, etc. Other
                    than that, someone with Crohn's or UC/Ulcerative colitis can eat as
                    much or as badly (as seen from a normal healthy diet's perspective) as
                    they can, in fact it's recommended..

                    Some people even do what's caled 'paleo dieta' (Paleolithic diet?) Only
                    meat and eggs and the like, no sugar (no pasta, no bread), very little
                    veg or fruit, if any.. and it does them good... other people argue
                    that's good for all of us since we only started eating all that other
                    stuff relatively recently (in evolution), that's a bit of a debate, but
                    it's certainly good for you if you have anything like Crohn's/UC..

                    Anyway, as I said this was most probably about a specific diet, so IMHO
                    Jamie's original dietary non-compliance works well here..

                    Matej