RE: [Czechlist] Re: pro zmenu gastronomicke vyrazy

  • Kent Christopher Kasha
    Message 1 of 62 , Jan 23, 2013
      Hi all,

      My guess is that braced is an incorrect transcription of braised, which fits
      for svickova. I usually translate it as 'beef in cream sauce' since one is
      never sure if true sirloin is being used and it is universally
      understandable. People from German backgrounds or areas where there is a
      strong German presence might understand sauerbraten. Others, myself
      included, would have no idea what sauerbraten might actually be and would be
      no better off than if it had been left in Czech.

      Gastronomy brings gastroenteritis to mind.

      My pet peeve with translating menus is that many restaurants try to be cute
      and have dishes with names that tell nothing of the actual dish in question.
      One menu had entries like: Svejkovy nabojnice, Svejkuv nasup na prkne and,
      worst of all, Sen porucika Marka while the kiddies could order Mikesovo
      paci-paci with vysmate brambory.

      KK

      Message 62 of 62 , Jan 24, 2013
        Poor horse - hasn't it been flogged enough already?

        ---
        (the horse analogy is intended - I'm certain that more than one piece of the noble beast of burden has been served to me in the form of svickova or gulas in the past. BTW my favourite svickova used to be available at the nonstop bufet at Brno hlavni nadrazi (28 Kc) and if that meat had ever been near a cow, let alone a fillet thereof, then I'm a monkey's uncle ... )