Re: [Czechlist] pro zmenu gastronomicke vyrazy

    Message 1 of 62 , Jan 22, 2013
      When my mom made svickova -- the way her Domazlice-born mother made it -- it was marinated in vinegar and was "sauer". So, to me, since childhood, svickova has always been sauer.

      Jamie

      On Jan 22, 2013, at 4:52 PM, jenuwefa wrote:

      > No offense, Jamie, but sauerbraten and svickova na smetane, while similar, are not the same. Different meat, sauerbraten is marinated in vinegar before cooking (hence the "sauer"), and the sauerbraten sauce isn't whizzed-up veggies and cream....if I saw sauerbraten on a menu and got svickova na smetane, I'd be a bit confused.
      >
      > Otherwise I agree with your remarks...
      >
      > Eva, if you'd like, I'd be happy to proofread your translation when it's finished.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Jennifer
      >
      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner wrote:
      >>
      >> Where I live (which is not in Germany), the English term for svickova na smetane is "sauerbraten". Clients in CZ were always annoyed and incredulous when I wrote that, but that is what we call it. And we call klobasa "kielbasa".
      > <snip>
      >>
      >> Jamie
      >>
      >> On Jan 22, 2013, at 4:06 AM, Eva Horejsii wrote:
      >>
      >>> Mili kolegove, opet se mi dostal do rukou preklad, tentokrat z CS do EN, je to prezentace nejake akce a bohuzel tam jsou vzory jidelnicku
      >>>
      >>> Napr svickova na smetane . fillet of beef with cream sauce - sirloin of beef with... ?
      >>>
      >>> Co je vystiznejci? vite prosim nekdo, kde bych na internetu nasla gastronomicky CS-EN slovnik?
      >>>
      >>> Diky moc predem za kazdou radu
      >>>
      >>> Zdravi
      >>>
      >>> Eva Horejsi

    • wustpisk
      Message 62 of 62 , Jan 24, 2013
        Poor horse - hasn't it been flogged enough already?

        ---
        (the horse analogy is intended - I'm certain that more than one piece of the noble beast of burden has been served to me in the form of svickova or gulas in the past. BTW my favourite svickova used to be available at the nonstop bufet at Brno hlavni nadrazi (28 Kc) and if that meat had ever been near a cow, let alone a fillet thereof, then I'm a monkey's uncle ... )