Re: [Czechlist] Re: pro zmenu gastronomicke vyrazy

  • Foren - Helga
    Message 1 of 62 , Jan 22, 2013
      Even though I can?t offer an ENG translation for Svickova, I would like
      to turn your attention to the fact that only VERY few restaurants
      actually use a filet or sirloin cut (which would be the proper meat
      according to the name "Svickova") for this dish.
      Most of the time I had "a good piece of beef" on my plate, when I
      ordered this dish, but never a filet or sirloin cut.
      And when I cook it myself, or when I talk about Svickova with czech
      friends, NO ONE uses extra expensive meat. The average household uses
      "just any part of the back".
      Hope my thoughts are useful...
      Helga

      Am 22.01.2013 22:52, schrieb jenuwefa:

      > No offense, Jamie, but sauerbraten and svickova na smetane, while
      > similar, are not the same. Different meat, sauerbraten is marinated in
      > vinegar before cooking (hence the "sauer"), and the sauerbraten sauce
      > isn't whizzed-up veggies and cream....if I saw sauerbraten on a menu
      > and got svickova na smetane, I'd be a bit confused.
      >
      > Otherwise I agree with your remarks...
      >
      > Eva, if you'd like, I'd be happy to proofread your translation when
      > it's finished.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Jennifer

      > James Kirchner wrote:
      > >
      > > Where I live (which is not in Germany), the English term for
      > svickova na smetane is "sauerbraten". Clients in CZ were always
      > annoyed and incredulous when I wrote that, but that is what we call
      > it. And we call klobasa "kielbasa".
      >

      > > Jamie
      > >
      > > On Jan 22, 2013, at 4:06 AM, Eva Horejsii wrote:
      > >
      > > > Mili kolegove, opet se mi dostal do rukou preklad, tentokrat z CS
      > do EN, je to prezentace nejake akce a bohuzel tam jsou vzory jidelnicku
      > > >
      > > > Napr svickova na smetane . fillet of beef with cream sauce -
      > sirloin of beef with... ?
      > > >
      > > > Co je vystiznejci? vite prosim nekdo, kde bych na internetu nasla
      > gastronomicky CS-EN slovnik?
      > > >
      > > > Diky moc predem za kazdou radu
      > > >
      > > > Zdravi
      > > >
      > > > Eva Horejsi
      >

      > =======
      > E-Mail von PC Tools gescannt -- Keine Viren oder Spyware gefunden.
      > (Email Guard: 9.0.0.2308, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.20990)
      > http://www.pctools.com
      > <http://www.pctools.com/?cclick=EmailFooterClean_51>
      > =======

    • wustpisk
      Message 62 of 62 , Jan 24, 2013
        Poor horse - hasn't it been flogged enough already?

        ---
        (the horse analogy is intended - I'm certain that more than one piece of the noble beast of burden has been served to me in the form of svickova or gulas in the past. BTW my favourite svickova used to be available at the nonstop bufet at Brno hlavni nadrazi (28 Kc) and if that meat had ever been near a cow, let alone a fillet thereof, then I'm a monkey's uncle ... )