TERM: Program (was: Web shopping terms)

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 20, 2013
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner wrote:
      > That was not the only problem with this project. I also found, in total isolation, the word "program". Czech uses the word "program" for many things that are not called "program" in English, so that needs clarification also.

      One of those shops that sell various nick-nacks down the road used to offer "drateny program" (check it out on Google images...in-trays, soap holders, baskets, you name it), which I translated in my head as a range of wire-mesh (??) products.

      BR

      Melvyn
    • (no author)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 20, 2013
        Drateny program is indeed a weird usage when you think of it from a
        linguistic point of view, Jamie, but it's entirely normal... don't know
        who came up with it in the first place and it does pull my ears
        slightly, but it's a legitimate expression... and yes, a range of XX
        products, or just XX products?? is definitely better than saying 'wire
        mesh program' :)

        Matej

        >> That was not the only problem with this project. I also found, in
        >total isolation, the word "program". Czech uses the word "program" for
        >many things that are not called "program" in English, so that needs
        >clarification also.
        >
        >One of those shops that sell various nick-nacks down the road used to
        >offer "drateny program" (check it out on Google images...in-trays,
        >soap holders, baskets, you name it), which I translated in my head as
        >a range of wire-mesh (??) products.
        >
        >BR
        >
        >Melvyn

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
          Slowly catching up with my correspondence here.

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Matej Klimes" wrote:

          > Drateny program is indeed a weird usage when you think of it from a
          > linguistic point of view, Jamie, but it's entirely normal... don't know
          > who came up with it in the first place and it does pull my ears
          > slightly, but it's a legitimate expression... and yes, a range of XX
          > products, or just XX products?? is definitely better than saying 'wire
          > mesh program' :)

          Doesn't actually strike me as particularly weird. Lots of examples in English where a word has been "borrowed" from another language and then taken on a life of its own, e.g. French friends laugh at English "rendez-vous". "Blitz" referring to aerial bombardment also comes to mind. Evidently the Germans don't use it that way.

          Czech "outlet" is perhaps another example. Seems to refer primarily to shops selling outdated clothes (?)

          BR

          Melvyn

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

            > Doesn't actually strike me as particularly weird.

            I notice das Programm is used this way in German.

            http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&searchLocRelinked=1&search=Programm&trestr=0x1001

            BR

            Melvyn