Re: [Czechlist] Web shopping terms

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 20, 2013
      Sure, color terms can be odd, but they usually make some kind of sense in the culture they're used in. Cross cultures, and suddenly the terms won't make sense. This client's "ice green" sounds illogical to the anglophone mind, and the actual color would be called "mint green" in English. The idea of coolness is still there, but our minds don't think of ice as green.

      Jamie

      On Jan 20, 2013, at 1:56 AM, Sarka Rubkova wrote:

      > I believe that "vlolim do poptavky" means that a potential buyer is looking
      > for something like a budget (if the company offers goods with assembly or
      > transport or some quantity discounts, etc.).
      >

      > Wouldn't it be better to ask your client what it really means?
      >

      > Sarka

    • Pilucha, Jiri
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 22, 2013
        Speaking of impossible color names, I can’t resist -one last time- pasting in an excerpt from the author whom I quoted here just recently… because it’s so much to the point that was raised here
        Some may find it funny and entertaining and some may not (special apologies to those who will find it outright stupid)
        450 words that you may choose to skip

        This part is about how women (allegedly) like to buy towels of exotic colors (the point being the colors, not women)

        When did white and blue and black and red become too little too late for most women?
        When they got a whiff of Acorn and Heather and Persimmon and Pearl.
        I don’t even know what colors those are supposed to be—I just saw them listed in a bed-and-bath store catalog I stole out of my wife’s office.
        Get a load of these:
        Moss.
        Forest.
        Celery.
        Guess what color? Green, goddammit. Green. Moss? What the hell. I don’t even know a GUY named Moss. Why not go with Mold? Or Yeast? Is yeast green? I dunno. All I know about yeast is that women get infections that are named after it AND I think they might use it to make beer.
        More catalog colors:
        Mushroom.
        Ecru.
        Taupe.
        Got a guess? Tan. F**king tan. Which is really light brown but let’s not get into that—let’s just accept that light brown is tan. Then—years ago—they came up with beige and burnt sienna.
        I remember because I was a kid and they added beige and burnt sienna to the Crayola crayons box, so let’s accept that tan is tan and beige is lighter tan and burnt sienna is probably some kind of tan that the Indians came up with but is that enough to base a towel selection on?
        I guess the f**k not because now we have four more bullshit choices, which we will now unbullshit our way through:
        Mushroom. Mushrooms are for cheeseburgers, pasta sauces, soup and getting high enough to think that the Grateful Dead were actually a good band when in fact they were just a bunch of spaced-out, balding junkies with two songs they managed to spread out over four hours as a scam to sell tie-dyed T-shirts.
        Ecru? Sounds like a cough. (Don’t forget—I’m a doctor.)
        And Taupe? I looked up “taupe” in a dictionary and here’s what it says: “A moderate to dark brownish gray slightly tinged with purple, yellow or green.” Jesus Christ. Could there be a less decisive color? Is Taupe running for President Of All Towels?
        Orange becomes Tangerine or Pumpkin, red becomes Burgundy, white becomes Alabaster, purple morphs into Plum, Lilac, Aubergine and Mauve.
        The point is—why.
        Why do we need these colors why is someone getting paid to create them why are women buying towels and curtains and linens and bedspreads named with them and bringing them home or even worse showing us the choices in the catalog BEFORE they buy them and asking us which one we like better the Pewter or the Periwinkle? The Topaz or the Azule?
        The Milk or the Butter the Cream or the Honey the Egg or the— I don’t know if I’m still picking out bed and bath wear or ordering f**king breakfast.
        […]

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 22, 2013
          Having graduated from art school with a major in painting, I don't even know many of the ordinary names for colors. "Taupe" and "puce" are common color names, but I don't know what they look like.

          The way my old classmates and I refer to colors is either by the pigments, "phthalocyanine green", "alizarine crimson", "burnt sienna", "raw umber", "cobalt blue", etc., or as some mixture of them. So if you ask me what color something is, I'm liable to say it looks like about 75% titanium white and 25% phthalocyanine green with a slight dab of alizarine crimson added. My X-ray eyes will know that the red added was alizarine crimson and not cadmium red.

          I might refer to a ceramic color as something like "manganese fired in a reduction kiln".

          Needless to say, I'm not very good at picturing the colors of towels.

          One thing I find sad is that Crayola has now switched from labeling their crayon colors with traditional names or pigment names, and now tend more toward food analogies and other names that smack of marketing and sound like the names of candy or shampoo. So by the time I got to art school, I knew most typical color names and many pigment names, but kids growing up now would just know dumb made-up names for the colors.

          Jamie