Re: [Czechlist] Elementary legal expressions from Czech to English

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5 4:01 PM

      >A classic problem and I believe (or hope) there is a standard solution:

      Hi Jirka,

      You can find a list of the Trade Links series on

      http://www.tradelinks.cz

      I would not want to suggest that these works are some absolute standard but
      they can be a very handy
      guideline. You may have noticed I have quoted them a few times in the past.
      I think all your
      questions are answered in the Trade Links Dictionary of Czech Business Law
      and Economy.

      Usage of legal terms will very often be arguable, of course, because the
      legal systems vary
      so much from one English-speaking country to another - I find the Trade
      Links series terms
      are quite an international mish-mash. For example they use "Mandate" for
      "mandatni
      smlouva" though I found this term rarely occurs outside Canada or South
      Africa. "Agency
      agreement" or "agency contract" is used in similar circumstances elsewhere,
      I believe.

      There is a handy slim volume of Czech-English-German-French legal terms
      published by
      Linde Praha and a rather fat, expensive volume: Ctyrjazycny pravnicky
      slovnik published by
      Codex with some useful appendices on the various judicial systems. The
      author of the
      Czech version, Michal Tomasek CSc etc has also written an interesting work
      on legal
      translation: "Preklad v pravni praxi", Linde Praha, 1998, which gives a
      rather gloomy account
      of all the potential pitfalls and problems and - I felt - tantalizingly few
      solutions. Maybe
      because there aren't any.

      You'll find some very useful glossaries and articles in Uvod do pravnicke
      anglictiny, Marta
      Chroma and Thomas Coats, a two-volume textbook for Charles University Law
      Faculty
      students - Karolinum Nakladatelstvi University Karlovy 1998.

      Some other points:

      The only half-decent translation of any laws that I have seen on the net is
      the recent much-
      reviled Act on the Residence of Aliens on http://www.mvcr.cz

      Others on this list (Paul) have argued in the past for dropping the "Coll."
      and I find that many
      do so in practice - but Trade Links use it consistently.

      I usually use "regulation" for vyhlaska and "decree" for narizeni following
      usage in certain
      lists of secondary legislation which I have. But again opinions will vary.

      (BTW on the subject of proofreading etc - I can only corroborate what others
      have said. I
      usually avoid this kind of work at the best of times - and without an
      original text I find it is an
      especially messy, bitty and awkward way of doing things.)

      BFN

      Melvyn
    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7 6:43 AM

        >I'd be interested in how others handle "v zneni." The sbirka cite uses "in
        >the wording of." But often, I'm inclined to think that "in the . . .
        >version . . . " (choose post- or pre-modification) or "as amended by X
        >thing / through Y date. . . " works better

        Hi Michael,

        Appreciate the detail you go into. I could never hope to argue my case as
        rigorously but I'd go for "as amended by". This is listed in the
        English-Czech Law Dictionary by Marta Chroma, LEDA 1995 and is used in the
        Trade Links translations.

        Hi Jirka,

        To answer another of your questions, British statutes are divided into
        sections, sub-sections, paragraphs and sub-paragraphs. Sections and
        sub-sections are denoted by Arabic numerals, paragraphs by letters in
        alphabetical order and sub-paragraphs by Roman numerals, e.g. Dangerous Dogs
        Act, 1991, s. 115(2)(a)(ii).
        Housing Act, 1961, ss. 31-2

        Long statutes are often divided into parts. The part is not usually
        mentioned in formal citation.

        I believe the Trade Links translations follow this model.

        Regards,

        Melvyn

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8 2:17 AM

          Melvyn Clarke wrote:
          > but I'd go for "as amended by".

          And what about the phrase "ve zne'ni pozde'js'ich pr'edpisu"?

          Jirka Bolech
        • Melvyn Clarke
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8 3:59 AM

            >And what about the phrase "ve zne'ni pozde'js'ich pr'edpisu"?

            - "as subsequently amended" viz Trade Links. Alternatives anybody?

            Melvyn