Re: [Czechlist] Re: elementary legal expressions

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5 12:03 AM
      Vladimir Vitvar wrote:

      > I don't see so much redundancy in English legal documents so I often skip
      the expression Sb. and the likes. Czech is a rather wordy language (for the
      most part due to the past practices) and we don't need to convey this
      drawback into our translations. Any comments welcome.

      Thanks for you views, Vlada. This is a good point, although I met a person
      with the "razitko soudniho znalce" (legal expert stamp) for translations
      between Czech and English who would insist on only one correct translation
      and definitely no omission of the above mentioned abbreviation. Well, this
      was perhaps six, seven years ago.

      Jirka Bolech
    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5 4:23 PM

        >Hi all,
        >
        >This is Vladimir Vitvar. I don't see so much redundancy in English legal
        >documents so I often skip the expression Sb. and the likes. Czech is a
        >rather wordy language (for the most part due to the past practices) and we
        >don't need to convey this drawback into our translations. Any comments
        >welcome.

        Hi Vlada,

        Welcome to the list - do tell us something more about yourself and your
        work. Your point
        interests me because I have tried to address it in my page on translation
        problems (URL below somewhere). I think this wordiness is more
        characteristic of certain "genres" than of the language as a whole.

        I reckon that you also get an amazing amount of redundancy in British
        legalese. For example, there is the tradition of using doublets or even
        triplets of synonyms ("cease and desist", "in my name, place, and stead" or
        "aid and abet" - which
        surely even the strictest of sworn translators would translate with a single
        word - napomahat).

        I solemnly and sincerely affirm and declare that if they ever had Olympics
        in long-windedness, the British legal profession would outwaffle the world
        (though recent government guidelines have started to do away with some of
        the worst excesses).

        Melvyn

      • Vladimir Vitvar
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6 2:43 AM
          Hi Melvyn and thanx for a warm welcome.

          Ain't got much to say about myself. Been a pro translator since 1996, an
          English teacher since 1993. I rarely do any literary stuff, more
          educational, not so much technical, often spiritual.

          I enjoy this list and hope we can really learn from each other.

          Cheers ye all.

          Vlad