[Czechlist] Web shopping terms

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
      I've got a website for electrical switches here that's kind of messy (especially the English in the parts that are already completed).

      Apparently you can "vlozit do kosiku", "vlozit do objednavky" and "vlozit do poptavky". These all seem to be separate, distinct things, particularly since shoppers on the site have a "poptavkovy kosik".

      Can anyone give me an idea of what these separate things might be?

      Thanks for any help.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
        Hi Jamie,

        If someone invents "poptavkovy kosik", you can't be sure but I think
        that "vlozit do kosiku" is adding an item to your shopping cart
        (basket); you knew this one.

        "Vlozit do objedavky" sounds the trickiest of the three to me but it
        could be adding an item to an already checked out, ordered list of
        items, waiting for shipment (if tangible).

        "Vlozit do poptavky" sounds like adding an item to a wish list, perhaps
        with an arrangement of formal availability and date of delivery
        confirmation or only as a tool to avoid having to search for the item
        repeatedly; you figure...

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
          Morning Jamie,

          I would say the stuff I "vlozim do objednavky" is something that is
          ready to buy/be provided. Stuff to be "vlozit do poptavky" is something
          I want but isnot ready. I might not even know a specific provider.
          Something like a call for bids. Not sure about vkladani do kosiku - that
          may be either a pre-step for objednavka. But just guessing. Another
          explanation is that different modules of the website have been designed
          by different web designer who did not communicate much to each other.
          Perhaps you can send usa link?

          My 2 c's
          Martin

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
            Thanks, Jirka and Martin. Much obliged.

            It looks like I might have to make up my own term for "poptavka" here, because, as Jirka says, it sounds like what we call a "wish list". However, because these are not consumer goods, "wish list" would sound odd, so I'll have to make up a term more appropriate for electrical switches.

            I see the site for Grainger industrial supplies calls it a "personal list", but that sounds too personal. I'll have to look around.

            This client makes me slightly nervous, because the last portion of the website I translated came back marked up with the client wanting all kinds of Czenglish, like bullet items starting with "possibility of" and other hruzy. I even got blamed for things some Czech person had written. The parts they have already had translated before me are Czenglish almost to the point of nonsense. Since this client is so ornery, I have to have all my ducks in order.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
              This job is also going to require some "transcreation", because it contains quite a few color names that would be impossible in English. The English-speaking mind would be confused by "vanilla yellow" or "ice green". (Things named "vanilla" in English are always white, and things called "ice" are always white or blue.)

              Jamie

              On Jan 19, 2013, at 3:41 AM, Martin Janda wrote:

              > Morning Jamie,
              >
              > I would say the stuff I "vlozim do objednavky" is something that is
              > ready to buy/be provided. Stuff to be "vlozit do poptavky" is something
              > I want but isnot ready. I might not even know a specific provider.
              > Something like a call for bids. Not sure about vkladani do kosiku - that
              > may be either a pre-step for objednavka. But just guessing. Another
              > explanation is that different modules of the website have been designed
              > by different web designer who did not communicate much to each other.
              > Perhaps you can send usa link?
              >
              > My 2 c's
              > Martin
              >

              > Dne 19.1.2013 2:36, James Kirchner napsal(a):
              >>
              >> I've got a website for electrical switches here that's kind of messy
              >> (especially the English in the parts that are already completed).
              >>
              >> Apparently you can "vlozit do kosiku", "vlozit do objednavky" and
              >> "vlozit do poptavky". These all seem to be separate, distinct things,
              >> particularly since shoppers on the site have a "poptavkovy kosik".
              >>
              >> Can anyone give me an idea of what these separate things might be?
              >>
              >> Thanks for any help.
              >>
              >> Jamie

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner wrote:
                The English-speaking mind would be confused by "vanilla yellow"

                I beg to differ on this point. Pale yellow seems to me an acceptable option here:

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_(color)
                The color vanilla is a rich tint of off-white as well as a medium pale tint of yellow.

                Admittedly, I looked up "vanilla ice cream" images expecting to see lots of light golden stuff and I was surprised to see just how much of it was anaemic white, but I am standing by my opinion here.

                Ugh and that Ben and Jerry's is all lumpy (zmolkovity?) too.

                BR

                Melvyn
              • Melvyn
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner wrote:
                  "ice green".

                  Could be in a creative context or might be this kind of thing:

                  http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Oil/Duo-Aqua/Ice-Green/Ice-Green.html

                  BR

                  Melvyn
                • Sarka Rubkova
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
                    I believe that "vlo��m do popt�vky" means that a potential buyer is looking
                    for something like a budget (if the company offers goods with assembly or
                    transport or some quantity discounts, etc.).

                    Wouldn't it be better to ask your client what it really means?

                    Sarka

                    This job is also going to require some "transcreation", because it contains
                    quite a few color names that would be impossible in English. The
                    English-speaking mind would be confused by "vanilla yellow" or "ice green".
                    (Things named "vanilla" in English are always white, and things called "ice"
                    are always white or blue.)

                    Jamie

                    On Jan 19, 2013, at 3:41 AM, Martin Janda wrote:

                    > Morning Jamie,
                    >
                    > I would say the stuff I "vlozim do objednavky" is something that is
                    > ready to buy/be provided. Stuff to be "vlozit do poptavky" is something
                    > I want but isnot ready. I might not even know a specific provider.
                    > Something like a call for bids. Not sure about vkladani do kosiku - that
                    > may be either a pre-step for objednavka. But just guessing. Another
                    > explanation is that different modules of the website have been designed
                    > by different web designer who did not communicate much to each other.
                    > Perhaps you can send usa link?
                    >
                    > My 2 c's
                    > Martin
                    >

                    > Dne 19.1.2013 2:36, James Kirchner napsal(a):
                    >>
                    >> I've got a website for electrical switches here that's kind of messy
                    >> (especially the English in the parts that are already completed).
                    >>
                    >> Apparently you can "vlozit do kosiku", "vlozit do objednavky" and
                    >> "vlozit do poptavky". These all seem to be separate, distinct things,
                    >> particularly since shoppers on the site have a "poptavkovy kosik".
                    >>
                    >> Can anyone give me an idea of what these separate things might be?
                    >>
                    >> Thanks for any help.
                    >>
                    >> Jamie

                  • Sarka Rubkova
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
                      I also know that marketing "experts" use very strange name for their colours
                      (particularly in automotive industry) probably to be different. It has
                      nothing to do with real colour it is just the name of the paint.

                      sarka

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 20, 2013
                        After finding that my native-Czech-speaking colleagues here were unclear about what the term meant, I sent an e-mail to the project manager asking her to find out from the client what certain things are supposed to mean. So, yes, I agree that it's best to ask the client.

                        That was not the only problem with this project. I also found, in total isolation, the word "program". Czech uses the word "program" for many things that are not called "program" in English, so that needs clarification also.

                        Jamie

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 20, 2013
                          Sure, color terms can be odd, but they usually make some kind of sense in the culture they're used in. Cross cultures, and suddenly the terms won't make sense. This client's "ice green" sounds illogical to the anglophone mind, and the actual color would be called "mint green" in English. The idea of coolness is still there, but our minds don't think of ice as green.

                          Jamie

                          On Jan 20, 2013, at 1:56 AM, Sarka Rubkova wrote:

                          > I believe that "vlolim do poptavky" means that a potential buyer is looking
                          > for something like a budget (if the company offers goods with assembly or
                          > transport or some quantity discounts, etc.).
                          >

                          > Wouldn't it be better to ask your client what it really means?
                          >

                          > Sarka

                        • Pilucha, Jiri
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 22, 2013
                            Speaking of impossible color names, I can’t resist -one last time- pasting in an excerpt from the author whom I quoted here just recently… because it’s so much to the point that was raised here
                            Some may find it funny and entertaining and some may not (special apologies to those who will find it outright stupid)
                            450 words that you may choose to skip

                            This part is about how women (allegedly) like to buy towels of exotic colors (the point being the colors, not women)

                            When did white and blue and black and red become too little too late for most women?
                            When they got a whiff of Acorn and Heather and Persimmon and Pearl.
                            I don’t even know what colors those are supposed to be—I just saw them listed in a bed-and-bath store catalog I stole out of my wife’s office.
                            Get a load of these:
                            Moss.
                            Forest.
                            Celery.
                            Guess what color? Green, goddammit. Green. Moss? What the hell. I don’t even know a GUY named Moss. Why not go with Mold? Or Yeast? Is yeast green? I dunno. All I know about yeast is that women get infections that are named after it AND I think they might use it to make beer.
                            More catalog colors:
                            Mushroom.
                            Ecru.
                            Taupe.
                            Got a guess? Tan. F**king tan. Which is really light brown but let’s not get into that—let’s just accept that light brown is tan. Then—years ago—they came up with beige and burnt sienna.
                            I remember because I was a kid and they added beige and burnt sienna to the Crayola crayons box, so let’s accept that tan is tan and beige is lighter tan and burnt sienna is probably some kind of tan that the Indians came up with but is that enough to base a towel selection on?
                            I guess the f**k not because now we have four more bullshit choices, which we will now unbullshit our way through:
                            Mushroom. Mushrooms are for cheeseburgers, pasta sauces, soup and getting high enough to think that the Grateful Dead were actually a good band when in fact they were just a bunch of spaced-out, balding junkies with two songs they managed to spread out over four hours as a scam to sell tie-dyed T-shirts.
                            Ecru? Sounds like a cough. (Don’t forget—I’m a doctor.)
                            And Taupe? I looked up “taupe” in a dictionary and here’s what it says: “A moderate to dark brownish gray slightly tinged with purple, yellow or green.” Jesus Christ. Could there be a less decisive color? Is Taupe running for President Of All Towels?
                            Orange becomes Tangerine or Pumpkin, red becomes Burgundy, white becomes Alabaster, purple morphs into Plum, Lilac, Aubergine and Mauve.
                            The point is—why.
                            Why do we need these colors why is someone getting paid to create them why are women buying towels and curtains and linens and bedspreads named with them and bringing them home or even worse showing us the choices in the catalog BEFORE they buy them and asking us which one we like better the Pewter or the Periwinkle? The Topaz or the Azule?
                            The Milk or the Butter the Cream or the Honey the Egg or the— I don’t know if I’m still picking out bed and bath wear or ordering f**king breakfast.
                            […]

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 22, 2013
                              Having graduated from art school with a major in painting, I don't even know many of the ordinary names for colors. "Taupe" and "puce" are common color names, but I don't know what they look like.

                              The way my old classmates and I refer to colors is either by the pigments, "phthalocyanine green", "alizarine crimson", "burnt sienna", "raw umber", "cobalt blue", etc., or as some mixture of them. So if you ask me what color something is, I'm liable to say it looks like about 75% titanium white and 25% phthalocyanine green with a slight dab of alizarine crimson added. My X-ray eyes will know that the red added was alizarine crimson and not cadmium red.

                              I might refer to a ceramic color as something like "manganese fired in a reduction kiln".

                              Needless to say, I'm not very good at picturing the colors of towels.

                              One thing I find sad is that Crayola has now switched from labeling their crayon colors with traditional names or pigment names, and now tend more toward food analogies and other names that smack of marketing and sound like the names of candy or shampoo. So by the time I got to art school, I knew most typical color names and many pigment names, but kids growing up now would just know dumb made-up names for the colors.

                              Jamie