Czechs in Michigan

  • Diana Krausova
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2001
      In a message dated 1/30/01 10:33:23 AM, mgrant@... writes:
      >>You mean you don't have "kolaches" (pr. kola'tchies) up in Michigan?

      In a message dated Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:35:45 EST, JPKIRCHNER@...
      writes>
      >No Czechs, no kolaches.

      Actually, there are quite a few Czech and Slovak immigrants in Michigan,
      especially in Rochester Hills. The local Sokol in Dearborn also
      organizes an annual Czech and Slovak Festival in Wyandotte (I think it's
      sometime in July) where they sell kolace, vepro-knedlo-zelo, halusky,
      Czech and Slovak beer and other Czech specialities.

      Diana

      *** CZECHTRANSLATIONS.COM *********************************************
      your online source for professional Czech & English translations

      http://www.czechtranslations.com//
      ---------------------
      e-mail: diana@...
      ---------------------
      US - tel: (248) 624.6198
      e-fax: (801) 905.5618
      ---------------------
      PRAGUE - tel/fax: (4202) 248.26.913
    • Mila Saskova-Pierce
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2001
        I would love to get the address of the Sokol in Dearborn. We are
        organizing a Spolecnost pro vedy a umeni (SVU) conference, here, in
        Nebraska in Lincoln, and would like to invite them. If you would like to
        get the information, have a look at the attachment. Mila Saskova-Pierce

        ----------

        From: coslzly@...
        Subject: SVU Conference in Nebraska 2001 To: Mila Saskova-Pierce
        <mzs@...> Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 15:42:22 -0600
        UNLNOTES01.UNL.EDU/Servers/UNEBR(Release 5.0.5 |September
        22, 2000) at 12/05/2000 03:42:19 PM,
        Itemize by SMTP Server on UNLNOTES.UNL.EDU/Servers/UNEBR(Release
        5.0.5 |September
        22, 2000) at 12/05/2000 03:38:25 PM,
        Serialize by Router on UNLNOTES.UNL.EDU/Servers/UNEBR(Release 5.0.5
        |September
        22, 2000) at 12/05/2000 03:38:25 PM,
        Serialize complete at 12/05/2000 03:38:25 PM X-MIME-Autoconverted:
        from quoted-printable to 8bit by unlserve.unl.edu id PAA56166 Status:

        I'm on my way -- we'll look at this when I'm there.

        --

        Dear Colleagues:

        Enclosed please find an announcement of the planned conference in Nebraska
        next August. You are all cordially invited to participate. It would be in
        the
        interest of the Society if every SVU Chapter were represented at this
        important event. Please publicize the conference among your members and your
        friends.

        Regards,

        Mila Rechcigl
        SVU President
        --------------

        Czechoslovak Society of Arts and Sciences (SVU)

        announces a Special Conference

        The Czech and Slovak Legacy in the Americas: Preservation of Heritage with
        the Accent on Youth

        Lincoln, NE, August 2-3, 2001

        The University of Nebraska-Lincoln will host the 2001 Conference of the
        Czechoslovak Society of Arts and Sciences. The conference is sponsored by
        the
        University of Nebraska at Lincoln, College of Arts and Sciences, Department
        of Modern Languages, European Studies, and by the following community and
        regional groups: the Czech Language Foundation, Komensky Club, the Nebraska
        Czechs of Lincoln, and the Wilber Czechs.

        The dates of the Conference have been selected to coincide with the 45th
        Czech festival held each year in Wilber, Nebraska during the first weekend
        in
        August (for 2001 those dates are Friday, 3 August through Sunday, 5 August).
        An estimated 40,000 ? 50,000 people from all over the country are expected to
        attend the Wilber festival. The conference will focus on three main issues of
        interest to Czech and Slovak Americans:

        (1) Ethnicity and Preservation of Language and Culture (includes
        presentations on history and genealogy).

        (2) Historical and contemporary settlements of people from the Czech and
        Slovak Republics in the Americas.

        (3) Future relationships between Czechs and Slovaks living in the Americas
        and those in the Czech and Slovak Republics.

        The open format of the conference will allow discussion of other topics of
        interest. The Conference participants will have the opportunity to attend
        various cultural and social programs scheduled during the two-day
        conference,
        as well as attend the Wilber Czech Festival on Saturday and/or Sunday. There
        will be live performances of the Czech and Slovak heritage music, dances and
        other cultural programs as performed by local groups, as well as a Czech
        film. The Grand Opening will take place on Wednesday, August 1 at 7:00 p.m.

        This conference is taking place in Nebraska because this state has a rich
        heritage of political and cultural life organized by the Czechs. The
        University of Nebraska is a natural institution for the sponsorship because
        it is one of the few universities in the United States that offers the Czech
        language, and has been teaching it since 1907. The Czechs at UNL were always
        a very active group, and from its Komensky Club, conceived at the end of
        1903, and officially established in 1904, rose a generation of Nebraska and
        US politicians, including the late Senator Roman Hruska. Nebraska Czechs
        influenced the history of the United States as well as the history of the
        Czech Lands. There are about sixty localities in Nebraska where the majority
        of inhabitants claim Czech ancestry, and it is estimated that between ten to
        twenty percent of Nebraskans claim Czech blood. The Czech ethnic life is
        celebrated during twelve annual Czech festivals in Nebraska. There are
        countless Czech museums and libraries in the state. The most important
        collection of Czech artifacts is the Czech Heritage Collection assembled by
        Joe Svoboda and housed in the Love Library at UNL. The State Historical
        Society has an important collection of microfilms of Czech language
        newspapers published on the American continent. The ethnic Czechs are very
        active in genealogical research and a number of them take part in the Czech
        Elderhostel at the Doane College in Crete.

        Hotel accommodation for SVU members is available in the University dorms at a
        cost per person, double occupancy, of $16.00 per night. Dorm lodging requires
        that participants purchase a meal plan that is served in the cafeteria
        (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). The cost of this meal plan is $16.00 per
        person per day, bringing the total cost of room and board to $32.00 a day.
        Parking can be arranged on campus near the dorms. Other hotel accommodations
        can be made directly with Lincoln hotels. Hotels in the downtown area are
        within walking distance of the campus.

        SVU Conference in Lincoln, Nebraska, August 2-3, 2001

        Send your application along with your registration fee (made payable to SVU)
        a.s.a.p. to:

        Cathy Oslzly, Department of Psychology, 238 Burnett Hall, UNL, Lincoln, NE
        68588-0308.

        Name: __________________________________

        Institutional Affiliation: ____________________

        Mailing Address: ________________________________________________________

        Telephone and/or FAX: _______________________ e-mail: _____________________

        Title of the proposed talk:

        Speakers are required to send a short abstract (summary) of their paper, not
        to exceed one page, including the title of their paper, their name and
        institutional affiliation (if any), with abbreviated address (exclude the
        street and number).

        We would prefer either a 3.5 inch disk or via email to Cathy Oslzly
        (coslzly1@...)

        Additional comments and /or suggestions including recommendations for
        speakers (use other side if needed):

        Pre-Registration Fee:

        $ 25.00 (SVU Member)

        $ 35.00 (NonMember of SVU)

        $ 20.00 (Spouse)

        $ 15.00 (Students)

        Housing accommodations in the dormitories: Nights of:

        # days _______ x $32.00 = _________
        Aug. 1 ___
        Aug. 2 ___
        Aug. 3 ___
        Aug. 4 ___

        Registration fee = _________

        (see above for appropriate fee)

        Total: $ __________________ made payable to SVU

        We will send out an additional application later for those who would like to
        attend the film or the Czech festival in Wilber this year.

        To facilitate the planning of the event you are urged to preregister as soon
        as possible. Applications after April 15, 2000 cannot be accepted.
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
          In a message dated 2/1/01 5:23:30 AM, mzs@... writes:

          >I would love to get the address of the Sokol in Dearborn.

          Sokol Detroit Cultural Center
          23600 W. Warren Ave.
          Dearborn Heights, MI 48128

          >>In a message dated Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:35:45 EST, JPKIRCHNER@...
          >>writes>
          >>>No Czechs, no kolaches.
          >>
          >>Actually, there are quite a few Czech and Slovak immigrants in Michigan,
          >>especially in Rochester Hills. The local Sokol in Dearborn also
          >>organizes an annual Czech and Slovak Festival in Wyandotte (I think it's
          >>sometime in July) where they sell kolace, vepro-knedlo-zelo, halusky,
          >>Czech and Slovak beer and other Czech specialities.
          >>
          >>Diana

          There are mainly Slovak immigrants, and the Czech and Slovak community is so
          small that locals are barely aware of its existence. Maybe it's not that the
          community is small, but that Czechs and Slovaks assimilate so thoroughly here
          that you don't actually find a community. If someone were to ask in
          Michigan, "Where do most of the Czechs and Slovaks live?" No one would be
          able to tell them, although if asked the same thing about Poles, Arabs or
          Albanians, almost anyone could point to a place where you would find them.
          It's the same thing with the question, "Is there a Czech or Slovak bakery
          around here?" There aren't any. There are plenty of Polish bakeries, a
          couple of Belgian bakeries (run by Macedonians) and a German one or two (also
          run by Macedonians), but there is no place to find Czech or Slovak bread or
          pastry, as far as I know. You have to go to Chicago for that. Plus -- and
          this is the true litmus test of the real presence of an ethnic community here
          -- you cannot find any second- or third-generation Americans here who have a
          Czech or Slovak accent but cannot speak Czech or Slovak.

          Jamie
        • Diana Krausova
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
            Jamie,

            There certainly isn't a "visible" presence in the sense that there is
            with the Polish community in Hamtramck. I never claimed there were Czech
            bakeries in Detroit and to my knowledge you are right, there aren't any.
            Except maybe in the homes of our (many) Czech friends (and Slovak too, as
            they usually party together) who even though quite assimilated, speak
            Czech, make great homemade rohliky in addition to kolace and other
            pastries. Guess I'm lucky I don't have to travel as far as Chicago for
            the good stuff when I'm in Detroit...

            Diana

            *** CZECHTRANSLATIONS.COM *********************************************
            your online source for professional Czech & English translations

            http://www.czechtranslations.com//
            ---------------------
            e-mail: diana@...
            ---------------------
            US - tel: (248) 624.6198
            e-fax: (801) 905.5618
            ---------------------
            PRAGUE - tel/fax: (4202) 248.26.913
          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
              >Plus -- and
              >this is the true litmus test of the real presence of an ethnic community here
              >-- you cannot find any second- or third-generation Americans here who have a
              >Czech or Slovak accent but cannot speak Czech or Slovak.

              All the Texas Czechs (Czexans?) have accents. Texas accents.
              Michael

              Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954