How I learnt to love long pre-noun inserts

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2013
      A few long pre-noun inserts that I came across in my work this week.

      UnCzech? A translation from German? Or am I just very unlucky? :-)

      V navaznosti na stejnojmennou vystavu vysla bohatym ilustracnim materialem doprovozena rozsahla kolektivni monografie.

      Following on from the exhibition of the same name, an extensive collective monograph has been brought out together with copious illustrative material.

      Notes: I sometimes translate bohaty as extensive, but had to find an alternative here. Not totally happy with it.

      Priznivejsi pudu nachazely nove myslenky u novych, volnejsich a na tehdejsich spolecenskych spickach nezavislejsich pospolitosti, jake predstavovaly pocatkem novoveku akademie.

      New ideas found more fertile soil in the new, freer communities, more independent of the social elites of the time, as represented at the beginning of the early modern period by academies.

      Rozsahly druhy svazek, ktery zaroven zahrnuje v dosavadnim badani relativne nejmene zpracovane obdobi, vyjde jako posledni.

      The extensive second volume, which also covers the period that has been dealt with least in research to date, will be the last to come out.

      Note: relativne strikes me as redundant here.

      Vznikla zrejme z okruhu kolem tehdy v Cechach pusobiciho Ignace Borna,

      It clearly arose from the circle active at that time in Bohemia around Ignac Born.

      While the various opinions from the Czech Studies Institute at Charles University do bring us a long way from claims of faulty grammar and translation from German (and so can only be welcomed), one feels there is still a lack of appreciation in some quarters for the characteristic flexibility which this Czech structure seems in practice to offer. Of course, we could do nothing like this in English.

      I can only urge all Czechlisters to contribute further examples
      of long pre-noun inserts ("revisited") as and when they come across them in order to test our translation skills and perhaps even to help bring round the sceptical to a less dismissive point of view. :-)

      Regards,

      Melvyn

      Jiri wrote:
      "in Czech you don't put a long adjectival phrase in front of the noun."

      "an argument concerning standardized grammar".
    • Sarka Rubkova
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2013
        Ahoj Melvyne,
        V teto vete " Rozsahly druhy svazek, ktery zaroven zahrnuje v dosavadnim badani relativne nejmene zpracovane obdobi, vyjde jako posledni" chapu "relativne" jako "v porovnani s ostatnimi (obdobimi).

        sarka