Unclear sentence

  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
      Dear listmates!
      I am translating a text on teeth whitening. It is quite straightforward, but now I have come across a sentence that is completely unclear to me. It says: “Brush-on or wear in your trays four minutes prior to and after whitening your teeth.”
      The term “tray” refers to a special applicator that is filled with the bleaching gel and worn on your teeth for a prescribed period of time every day for about a fortnight.
      That is why the sentence above does not seem to make sense: how can you wear the tray four minutes BEFORE and AFTER whitening? Do they mean that you wear it empty, without the whitening gel? Or how do you understand it?
      Thanks a lot for any clues.
      Best regards,
      Jarda

    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
        Jarda, I can only agree with you that there is something odd about this sentence. Perhaps the author simply got confused. Happens all the time in the texts I deal with for my sins.

        The only explanation that I can come up with is that "wear in" has the sense of rozslapnout nove boty (wear in) or zabehnout nove auto (run in) here. Just as one has to wear in new jeans, tyres and dentures, so perhaps you have to get your new tray to fit comfortably just before and after whitening. Just an idea. Not quite sure how it fits in with "brush-on".

        BR

        Melvyn

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" wrote:

        > Dear listmates!
        > I am translating a text on teeth whitening. It is quite straightforward, but now I have come across a sentence that is completely unclear to me. It says: “Brush-on or wear in your trays four minutes prior to and after whitening your teeth.”
        > The term “tray” refers to a special applicator that is filled with the bleaching gel and worn on your teeth for a prescribed period of time every day for about a fortnight.
        > That is why the sentence above does not seem to make sense: how can you wear the tray four minutes BEFORE and AFTER whitening? Do they mean that you wear it empty, without the whitening gel? Or how do you understand it?
        > Thanks a lot for any clues.
        > Best regards,
        > Jarda

      • Jaroslav Hejzlar
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
          Hello, Melvyn!
          Thank you for your insight about the “wear in” part. Have you any idea what the “brush-on” part could mean (even without taking any context into consideration)?
          Jarda

          --- In mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" wrote:

          > Dear listmates!
          > I am translating a text on teeth whitening. It is quite straightforward, but now I have come across a sentence that is completely unclear to me. It says: “Brush-on or wear in your trays four minutes prior to and after whitening your teeth.”
          > The term “tray” refers to a special applicator that is filled with the bleaching gel and worn on your teeth for a prescribed period of time every day for about a fortnight.
          > That is why the sentence above does not seem to make sense: how can you wear the tray four minutes BEFORE and AFTER whitening? Do they mean that you wear it empty, without the whitening gel? Or how do you understand it?
          > Thanks a lot for any clues.
          > Best regards,
          > Jarda

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" wrote:

            > Hello, Melvyn!
            > Thank you for your insight about the “wear in” part. Have you any idea what the “brush-on” part could mean (even without taking any context into consideration)?

            I can only guess. Perhaps you have a choice between EITHER brushing the bleach on your teeth just as you might brush on toothpaste OR using the tray (which needs to be worn in over time) to apply the bleach to your teeth.

            Gonna need welding goggles to look at yourself in the mirror.

            BR

            Melvyn
          • (no author)
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 16, 2013
              Melvyn> I can only guess. Perhaps you have a choice between EITHER
              brushing the bleach on your teeth just as you might brush on toothpaste
              OR using the tray ...

              That would be my understanding.. , but I think the wear-in part could
              be an attempt at saying somethng like 'wear the gel on your teeth in
              the tray/using the tray' .. a bit clumsy, I know, but that's the only
              thing I can imagine..

              So yes, it's either brush the whitening gel on or put it in the tray
              and "wear" that... as for five minutes before and after *whitening*
              your teeth, I think they were meaning to say before and after
              *brushing* your teeth (with ordinary toothpaste) - that's usually the
              way these things are used, I understand..

              Matej