[Czechlist] More pay stub questions

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2013
      More questions about these pay stubs. So few words and so much research.

      1. I'm seeing an item on these stubs "Pozitek z vyrobku". What's this person getting from the products? I see that he buys them sometimes. There's also "Pozitek Vanocni balicek". Somehow I don't think "pozitek" means "delight" or "pleasure" here.

      2. Are "vyhody" in the sense of "Odmena (vyhody)" actually what Americans would call "benefits"? It seems to me the Czechs used to have some other term for those.

      3. If the British call a holiday a holiday, and they call a vacation a holiday, how do they distinguish between holiday pay and vacation pay on an official document?

      Thanks for your past help and anything you can tell me about this.

    • wustpisk
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2013
        - 'Pozitek' - I think there you can use 'Use of ... ', or even 'enjoyment' - it is also used as a legal term http://www.definitions.net/definition/enjoyment

        - Benefits - why not?

        - On a pay slip it would say 'annual leave' rather than 'holiday'. But what is the difference between 'holiday' and 'vacation'?

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2013
          I don't know why not "benefits". I just seem to remember that when I worked in CZ they used a different term for them in my orbit.

          On my side of the ocean, "holiday" is "svatek" and "vacation" is "dovolena". So those translate very neatly from Czech to American English and back. The only problem comes when we have to distinguish between "holiday" and "holyday".

          And yes, "enjoyment". I've seen that often as a legal term, but I can't imagine an accountant putting it on someone's pay slip. :-)

          Thanks very much, Gerry.

          Jamie

          On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:47 PM, wustpisk wrote:

          > - 'Pozitek' - I think there you can use 'Use of ... ', or even 'enjoyment' - it is also used as a legal term http://www.definitions.net/definition/enjoyment
          >
          > - Benefits - why not?
          >
          > - On a pay slip it would say 'annual leave' rather than 'holiday'. But what is the difference between 'holiday' and 'vacation'?
          >

          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner wrote:
          >>
          >> More questions about these pay stubs. So few words and so much research.
          >>
          >> 1. I'm seeing an item on these stubs "Pozitek z vyrobku". What's this person getting from the products? I see that he buys them sometimes. There's also "Pozitek Vanocni balicek". Somehow I don't think "pozitek" means "delight" or "pleasure" here.
          >>
          >> 2. Are "vyhody" in the sense of "Odmena (vyhody)" actually what Americans would call "benefits"? It seems to me the Czechs used to have some other term for those.
          >>
          >> 3. If the British call a holiday a holiday, and they call a vacation a holiday, how do they distinguish between holiday pay and vacation pay on an official document?
          >>
          >> Thanks for your past help and anything you can tell me about this.
          >>
          >> Jamie

        • Pilucha, Jiri
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 10, 2013
            Hold on, guys

            Pozitek = benefit

            See e.g.
            http://www.ucetni-portal.cz/zamestnanecke-pozitky-employee-benefits-14-h.html

            Jiri

            I don't know why not "benefits". I just seem to remember that when I worked in CZ they used a different term for them in my orbit.

            On my side of the ocean, "holiday" is "svatek" and "vacation" is "dovolena". So those translate very neatly from Czech to American English and back. The only problem comes when we have to distinguish between "holiday" and "holyday".

            And yes, "enjoyment". I've seen that often as a legal term, but I can't imagine an accountant putting it on someone's pay slip. :-)

            Thanks very much, Gerry.

            Jamie

            On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:47 PM, wustpisk wrote:

            > - 'Pozitek' - I think there you can use 'Use of ... ', or even 'enjoyment' - it is also used as a legal term http://www.definitions.net/definition/enjoyment
            >
            > - Benefits - why not?
            >
            > - On a pay slip it would say 'annual leave' rather than 'holiday'. But what is the difference between 'holiday' and 'vacation'?
            >

            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>, James Kirchner wrote:
            >>
            >> More questions about these pay stubs. So few words and so much research.
            >>
            >> 1. I'm seeing an item on these stubs "Pozitek z vyrobku". What's this person getting from the products? I see that he buys them sometimes. There's also "Pozitek Vanocni balicek". Somehow I don't think "pozitek" means "delight" or "pleasure" here.
            >>
            >> 2. Are "vyhody" in the sense of "Odmena (vyhody)" actually what Americans would call "benefits"? It seems to me the Czechs used to have some other term for those.
            >>
            >> 3. If the British call a holiday a holiday, and they call a vacation a holiday, how do they distinguish between holiday pay and vacation pay on an official document?
            >>
            >> Thanks for your past help and anything you can tell me about this.
            >>
            >> Jamie

          • Josef Hlavac
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 10, 2013
              > 1. I'm seeing an item on these stubs "Pozitek z vyrobku". What's this person getting from the products? I see that he buys them sometimes. There's also "Pozitek Vanocni balicek". Somehow I don't think "pozitek" means "delight" or "pleasure" here.

              Could this be actually the "benefits"? Perhaps the person gets the
              company products for free (or for a reduced price) in a limited quantity
              -- but this has to be accounted for (and taxed), hence it makes sense to
              include that on the payslip. But I'm walking on a thin ice here.

              Maybe relevant:
              http://business.center.cz/business/diskuze/zprava.aspx?id=723275

              2. Are "vyhody" in the sense of "Odmena (vyhody)" actually what Americans would call "benefits"? It seems to me the Czechs used to have some other term for those.

              When I see "odmena", I would say "bonus" -- as long as this "odmena"
              means what it usually does, that is some extra money in addition to the
              base pay. I'm not sure about the "vyhody" part, though. Maybe some
              overlap with the "benefits", since "zamestnanecke vyhody" may include
              both money and non-monetary things such as extra vacation. Again, thin ice.

              Maybe relevant:
              http://finance.idnes.cz/reknete-si-v-praci-o-maximum-dpb-/spor.aspx?c=A031203_151136_fi_osobni_vra

              Josef

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 10, 2013
                IMHO, 'pozitek' is just one of more or less cumbersome translations of
                'benefits' into Czech. Since the original concept is English, you will
                find various names for the same concept on Czech pay stubs, ranging from
                pozitky and vyhody to benefity.

                Never seen enjoyment it in texts my clients send me to translate,
                definitely not in the HR context.

                As to 'pozitek z vyrobku': My guess would be that workers get
                products/services manufactured/provided by the company for free or at
                discounted rates.

                HTH
                Martin

                Dne 11.1.2013 4:04, James Kirchner napsal(a):

                > I don't know why not "benefits". I just seem to remember that when I
                > worked in CZ they used a different term for them in my orbit.
                >
                > On my side of the ocean, "holiday" is "svatek" and "vacation" is
                > "dovolena". So those translate very neatly from Czech to American
                > English and back. The only problem comes when we have to distinguish
                > between "holiday" and "holyday".
                >
                > And yes, "enjoyment". I've seen that often as a legal term, but I
                > can't imagine an accountant putting it on someone's pay slip. :-)
                >
                > Thanks very much, Gerry.
                >
                > Jamie
                >
                > On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:47 PM, wustpisk wrote:
                >
                > > - 'Pozitek' - I think there you can use 'Use of ... ', or even
                > 'enjoyment' - it is also used as a legal term
                > http://www.definitions.net/definition/enjoyment
                > >
                > > - Benefits - why not?
                > >
                > > - On a pay slip it would say 'annual leave' rather than 'holiday'.
                > But what is the difference between 'holiday' and 'vacation'?
                > >

                > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>, James Kirchner wrote:
                > >>
                > >> More questions about these pay stubs. So few words and so much
                > research.
                > >>
                > >> 1. I'm seeing an item on these stubs "Pozitek z vyrobku". What's
                > this person getting from the products? I see that he buys them
                > sometimes. There's also "Pozitek Vanocni balicek". Somehow I don't
                > think "pozitek" means "delight" or "pleasure" here.
                > >>
                > >> 2. Are "vyhody" in the sense of "Odmena (vyhody)" actually what
                > Americans would call "benefits"? It seems to me the Czechs used to
                > have some other term for those.
                > >>
                > >> 3. If the British call a holiday a holiday, and they call a
                > vacation a holiday, how do they distinguish between holiday pay and
                > vacation pay on an official document?
                > >>
                > >> Thanks for your past help and anything you can tell me about this.
                > >>
                > >> Jamie

              • Pilucha, Jiri
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 10, 2013
                  As I'm helplessly staring at my monitor, 25 minutes have passed and my post has not arrived yet, i.e. if and when it does it will look as I was reinventing the wheel, sorry about it

                  I don't know why not "benefits". I just seem to remember that when I worked in CZ they used a different term for them in my orbit.

                  On my side of the ocean, "holiday" is "svatek" and "vacation" is "dovolena". So those translate very neatly from Czech to American English and back. The only problem comes when we have to distinguish between "holiday" and "holyday".

                  And yes, "enjoyment". I've seen that often as a legal term, but I can't imagine an accountant putting it on someone's pay slip. :-)

                  Thanks very much, Gerry.

                  Jamie

                  On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:47 PM, wustpisk wrote:

                  > - 'Pozitek' - I think there you can use 'Use of ... ', or even 'enjoyment' - it is also used as a legal term http://www.definitions.net/definition/enjoyment
                  >
                  > - Benefits - why not?
                  >
                  > - On a pay slip it would say 'annual leave' rather than 'holiday'. But what is the difference between 'holiday' and 'vacation'?
                  >

                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>, James Kirchner wrote:
                  >>
                  >> More questions about these pay stubs. So few words and so much research.
                  >>
                  >> 1. I'm seeing an item on these stubs "Pozitek z vyrobku". What's this person getting from the products? I see that he buys them sometimes. There's also "Pozitek Vanocni balicek". Somehow I don't think "pozitek" means "delight" or "pleasure" here.
                  >>
                  >> 2. Are "vyhody" in the sense of "Odmena (vyhody)" actually what Americans would call "benefits"? It seems to me the Czechs used to have some other term for those.
                  >>
                  >> 3. If the British call a holiday a holiday, and they call a vacation a holiday, how do they distinguish between holiday pay and vacation pay on an official document?
                  >>
                  >> Thanks for your past help and anything you can tell me about this.
                  >>
                  >> Jamie

                • wustpisk
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 11, 2013
                    Pozitek = benefit: Yes, you're right. Eur-lex backs that up as well.

                    vyhody: benefits in kind, amenity, privilege - all total guesses

                    Holiday: we differentiate between public holidays and bank holidays, but you wouldn't usually see that on a pay slip. Although it is so long since I have seen one that anything is possible ... 'vacation' is 'annual leave', which might be listed to show how many days you have left.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 11, 2013
                      Thanks to everybody for all the help. I appreciate it.

                      Jamie