Re: [Czechlist] "Zal." and SS.

  • Jakub Skrebsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
      I cannot comment on the abbreviation. But "Social Security" is National Insurance in the UK. On a payslip usually worded as "national insurance contributions".
      Jakub

      On 10 Jan 2013, at 15:59, James Kirchner wrote:

      > This should be an easy question, but I want to make sure.
      >
      > What does the abbreviation "zal." mean on a Czech employee pay stub? Does it mean "zaloha"? I'm thinking of collocations like "Zaklad dane zal.", "Oprava zal. dane", etc.
      >
      > Also, what do the British like to call what the Americans call "Social Security" and the Canadians call "Social Insurance"?
      >
      > Thanks for any help.

    • Jan Culka
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
        Yes, it is zaaaloha.

        The other question is not for me.

        Honza

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
          Whoo, boy! That term would be rather opaque outside the UK, I think. I guess I'll split the difference and use the Canadian term, which is more self-explanatory. The job comes from a UK agency but involves a US company, so you don't know who's going to be going over it.

          Thanks very much for the help.

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
            Thanks, Honza.

            I wonder why these pay stubs have all the Czech diacritics, but not on "zaloha". Maybe nobody knows.

            Jamie