[Czechlist] "Zal." and SS.

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
      This should be an easy question, but I want to make sure.

      What does the abbreviation "zal." mean on a Czech employee pay stub? Does it mean "zaloha"? I'm thinking of collocations like "Zaklad dane zal.", "Oprava zal. dane", etc.

      Also, what do the British like to call what the Americans call "Social Security" and the Canadians call "Social Insurance"?

      Thanks for any help.

    • Jakub Skrebsky
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
        I cannot comment on the abbreviation. But "Social Security" is National Insurance in the UK. On a payslip usually worded as "national insurance contributions".
        Jakub

        On 10 Jan 2013, at 15:59, James Kirchner wrote:

        > This should be an easy question, but I want to make sure.
        >
        > What does the abbreviation "zal." mean on a Czech employee pay stub? Does it mean "zaloha"? I'm thinking of collocations like "Zaklad dane zal.", "Oprava zal. dane", etc.
        >
        > Also, what do the British like to call what the Americans call "Social Security" and the Canadians call "Social Insurance"?
        >
        > Thanks for any help.

      • Jan Culka
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
          Yes, it is zaaaloha.

          The other question is not for me.

          Honza

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
            Whoo, boy! That term would be rather opaque outside the UK, I think. I guess I'll split the difference and use the Canadian term, which is more self-explanatory. The job comes from a UK agency but involves a US company, so you don't know who's going to be going over it.

            Thanks very much for the help.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
              Thanks, Honza.

              I wonder why these pay stubs have all the Czech diacritics, but not on "zaloha". Maybe nobody knows.

              Jamie