TERM: armored personal carrier (EN)

  • Liz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2013
      Agree for non-armoured light personnel vehicle - but I imagine a Jeep. It's a light vehicle designated for transporting people. No brneni, no pancerovani.

      - Liz

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Charles Stanford wrote:

      > I won't get stuck in there with the Czech (don't want anyone to have a
      > nasty laughter-related injury) but "non-armoured light personnel vehicle" is
      > not a standard English term and does not Google at all. The first thing
      > that comes to mind (or mine at least) would be something like a military
      > Land Rover.
      >
      > On 8 January 2013 11:01, Hana Jarolímová wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Dekuji a lehce se to komplikuje.
      > >
      > > Mam tady vyrobu dvou prototypu:
      > >
      > > A. armoured personal vehicle (s preklepem) - takze armoured personnel
      > > vehicle - to je ten "obrneny transporter"
      > > B. non-armoured light personnel vehicle - to je, panove, prosim co?
      > > nepancerovana limuzina je asi blbost, muzu pouzit "nepancerovany
      > > transorter"?
      > >
      > > A dotaz: pancerovany je totez co obrneny?
      > >
      > > Hanka

    • (no author)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2013
        The non-armoured vehicle doesn't seem to be a standard expression, but
        a term for it must exist out there, if we assume that it's a somewhat
        less armour-plated affair (but probably still pretty sturdy and far
        from an ordinary vehicle or a Jeep, yes, like those Land Rovers with
        tank visors), then something like lehke obrnene vozidlo/lehky obrneny
        transporter seems to be in order, google for images and you'll see all
        sorts of Hummers and similar, i.e. smaller/lighter, but probably still
        at least partiall armour-plated

        ..

        Or, it could simply be the same thing as armour-plated/OT, but made of
        ordinary, OK, not ordinary - but not and inch thick - sheet metal, it
        would look more or less the same from outside and wouldn't have the
        same resistance to gunfire, obviously, but maybe they make them for
        riot police etc. where heavy machine gun fire is not expected, but the
        personnel inside still has to be protected from angry mobs and Molotov
        cocktails?? Something like "nepancerovana/lehce pancerovana verze"?