Re: elementary legal expressions

  • Vladimir Vitvar
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2000
      >How do you convey things like the following into English[my
      >guesses/options]?:

      >- zakon c'. ...
      Sb. ["Act ... of Digest"; I see "of Cl." as of "Collection"]
      >- Obchodni
      zakonik ["Business Law", "Commercial Code"]
      >- Stavebni r'ad ["Building
      Code"]
      >- vyhlas'ka c'. ... Sb. ["Public Notice ..."]
      >- sme'rnice
      [decree]

      Hi all,

      This is Vladimir Vitvar. I don't see so much redundancy in English legal documents so I often skip the expression Sb. and the likes. Czech is a rather wordy language (for the most part due to the past practices) and we don't need to convey this drawback into our translations. Any comments welcome.

      My suggestions:

      - Zakonik prace - Labour Code
      - vyhlaska c' - regulation #

      Cheers,