Dativ sdilnosti

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
      Here is another wonderful colloquial expressive device in Czech that I am looking for more examples of.

      What do you think of these?

      To ti je hezke - that is really nice (?)

      To ti je hrozne - that is just awful (?)

      Ja ti mam knih! 'I do have lots of books, I tell you!' (I think we can omit the last bit in most contexts - perhaps intonation often does the job in English) (?)

      http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~schulte/Teaching/ESSLLI-06/Referenzen/Sem-Resources/PDT/pdt-tecto-manual.pdf

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Hana Jarolímová
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
        Melvyne, muze to byt jeste horsi. Treba:

        "Byla jsem se synem na lyzich a on si ti mi tam zlomil nohu".

      • Libor Zajíček
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
          Já vám měl kliku!

          --
          Czeskie Słowo Dnia <http://czesko.pl>
          Preklady <http://navolnenoze.cz/prezentace/libor-zajicek/>

        • wustpisk
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
            They do this in German as well, putting 'Du...' at the beginning for emphasis.

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

            > Here is another wonderful colloquial expressive device in Czech that I am looking for more examples of.
            >
            > What do you think of these?
            >
            > To ti je hezke - that is really nice (?)
            >
            > To ti je hrozne - that is just awful (?)
            >
            > Ja ti mam knih! 'I do have lots of books, I tell you!' (I think we can omit the last bit in most contexts - perhaps intonation often does the job in English) (?)
            >
            > http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~schulte/Teaching/ESSLLI-06/Referenzen/Sem-Resources/PDT/pdt-tecto-manual.pdf
            >
            > BR
            >
            > Melvyn

          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "wustpisk" wrote:

              > They do this in German as well, putting 'Du...' at the beginning for emphasis.

              Right, I found this in Hammer's German Grammar and Usage:

              The "ethic dative" shows the speaker's emotional involvement.

              It is only usual in the first person in commands and exclamations.

              Dann soll mir mal so einer vorbeikommen! - Just let me catch one like that coming past!

              Seid mir doch nett! - Be nice, for my sake!

              BR

              Melvyn
            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2013
                Oni nam ti mladi lide nevstupuji do strany. I have been told by several people that this kind of wording was favoured by the Communists. I get the impression there could be something cold, manipulative and sinister about it.

                But that is a different case again, I guess.

                Anyway, belated thanks to Libor and Hana for your fine examples.

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hana Jarolímová wrote:

                > "Byla jsem se synem na lyzich a on si ti mi tam zlomil nohu".

                :-)

                Melvyn
              • Petr
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 6, 2013
                  Ja myslim, ze to jsou ruzna pojeti. "Oni nam ti mladi lide nevstupuji do strany" je podobne, jako "ony nam ty děti nedojidaji obědy", "ona se nam ta mladez porad nekde flaka" apod. Je v tom trochu odsudku, trochu mentorstvi a nadrazenosti. "On si ti mi tam zlomil nohu" je trochu jine, jeto spis jako "a predstav si, ze on si tam zlomil nohu".
                  Mozna, ze me nekdo (po)opravi.
                  S komunismem bych to nespojoval, myslim, ze kdejaky vratny na koleji nebo na ucilisti to bude pouzivat porad stejne.
                  Petr Adamek