[Czechlist] "Cut and sew" in fashion

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 21, 2012
      Hello everybody,

      I strongly dislike fashion translations and got couple of pages today (I would rather prefer the Big Apocalyptical End).

      Can anybody experienced in the Czech fashion lingo suggest a translation in the above phrase? here is the whole sentence:

      "This trend blends classic surfwear with sportswear trends from urban Britain resulting in an eclectic mix of cut and sew brights and heavily washed acids."

      I understand what they mean, my working version is "sesivane ustrizky", but surely there's a better phrase for that.

      Also, am I right understanding "heavily washed acids" as sth like "zaprane "kyselinove" barvy" or I'm utterly wrong here?

      Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas :)
      Petr
    • Jakub Skrebsky
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 21, 2012
        nejprve preji krasne vanoce a gratuluji k preziti konce sveta.

        Hledam vyznam zkratkek AC a IC - kontext je mizivy:
        in case of emergency, call the police, the ambulance and then call AC and IC.
        Je to z firemniho bezpecnostniho skoleni americkeho fast-foodoveho retezce.
        Je to nejaka ochranka, zachranka nebo co?

        Diky za pomoc

        Jakub
      • Charles Stanford
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 22, 2012
          Doesn't mean anything to me Jakub - I think it is one of those ones that
          you may have to check with the company. Could be some sort of centre -
          assistance centre/information centre but could just as well be someone's
          initials, bearing in mind that there is no article

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 22, 2012
            My guess is that it's a company guy(s) in charge of accidents, something
            like Health& Safety Officer. Check this - no zachranka usually has a
            personal name:

            https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:mqbIZBRO2n8J:housing.uiowa.edu/rain/forms/How%2520to%2520Deal%2520with%2520Difficult%2520Situations.pdf+&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShjGjFgYY6U-is_3BUOpw8JfnvN4OkFrYxdabZ8MjDAiPC_cK6JlFtq1XDibWZbCFXv70J7PJB5_eCRrSCWQk9xuCHzL9mzgWX2Spgn-iIxS3oe84IP_yfS9ErqSe1XMztP6Sqk&sig=AHIEtbS0mg01qksByGh8C7KZGFIFByBSsw

            HTH
            Martin

            Dne 22.12.2012 9:05, Charles Stanford napsal(a):
            > Doesn't mean anything to me Jakub - I think it is one of those ones that
            > you may have to check with the company. Could be some sort of centre -
            > assistance centre/information centre but could just as well be someone's
            > initials, bearing in mind that there is no article
            >
            > On 21 December 2012 23:46, Jakub Skrebsky <jakub.skrebsky@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> nejprve preji krasne vanoce a gratuluji k preziti konce sveta.
            >>
            >> Hledam vyznam zkratkek AC a IC - kontext je mizivy:
            >> in case of emergency, call the police, the ambulance and then call AC and
            >> IC.
            >> Je to z firemniho bezpecnostniho skoleni americkeho fast-foodoveho retezce.
            >> Je to nejaka ochranka, zachranka nebo co?
            >>
            >> Diky za pomoc
            >>
            >> Jakub

          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 22, 2012
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Petr Veselý <vesely.email@...> wrote:

              > "This trend blends classic surfwear with sportswear trends from urban Britain resulting in an eclectic mix of cut and sew brights and heavily washed acids."
              >

              > I understand what they mean, my working version is "sesivane ustrizky", but surely there's a better phrase for that.

              The main idea behind "cut and sew" is surely that these garments have been custom-designed and that they are not mass-produced. Could you play around with that idea? Zakazkovy? Just brainstorming here.

              >"Cut & Sew" refers to garments that a brand has had made from scratch, a custom design. This is in contrast to "blanks" which are mass produced by large manufacturers and wholesaled to anyone who wants to purchase them
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_and_sew
            • Liz
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 22, 2012
                Hi Petr,

                > "This trend blends classic surfwear with sportswear trends from urban Britain resulting in an eclectic mix of cut and sew brights and heavily washed acids."
                >
                > Also, am I right understanding "heavily washed acids" as sth like "zaprane "kyselinove" barvy" or I'm utterly wrong here?

                They mean fabric that's been stone washed with a bit of bleach. Seprané zesvětlené látky or something like that?

                - Liz