Re: TIP: The thematic character of the subject in English

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 21 1:59 AM
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Michael Trittipo <tritt002@...> wrote:
      Theme/rheme is a core concept for Japanese, for example,
      > in which many sentences begin with は (wa), and in overly slavish
      > translations might be rendered "As for [state the topic here],
      > [state some proposition or make some comment here]."

      Chinese comes to mind in this regard too.

      As concerns/regards...
      As to/for...
      Concerning...
      Regarding...
      With regard/respect to...
      As relates to...
      In respect of/to/that
      As far as (X) is concerned...
      When it comes to...
      .... Talking of which,...

      Co se tyka/tyce...
      Pokud jde o...
      ...?

      BTW V tomto smyslu sometimes works as "to this end" or "accordingly" in my experience.

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 21 5:25 AM
        This is starting to come back to me. I think in grad school we covered it with regard to pidgin and creole languages. Thanks for jogging my memory, Michael.

        Jamie