Re: [Czechlist] Re: TIP: The thematic character of the subject in English

  • Michael Trittipo
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 20, 2012
      On or about Thursday, December 20, 2012, 3:20:10 PM, Charles wrote:
      > We were taught about theme and rheme - never could get a handle on half of
      > those linguistic terms but I think Melvyn is right Jamie
      > On 20 December 2012 20:53, Melvyn <zehrovak@...> wrote:
      >> Run "theme and rheme" through Google and you will find "theme" cropping up
      >> with this meaning on tens of thousands of English-language sites.

      Agreed. Theme/rheme is not limited to Czech or to translation
      studies. Theme/rheme is a core concept for Japanese, for example,
      in which many sentences begin with は (wa), and in overly slavish
      translations might be rendered "As for [state the topic here],
      [state some proposition or make some comment here]." In
      languages like English or French, the task of setting a framework or
      topic can fall to structures like the "As for" noted above, or "Quant
      à" or things like "speaking of" or even, after some more or less
      specific antecedent that's the theme/topic, "à cet égard" and so on.
    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 21, 2012
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Michael Trittipo <tritt002@...> wrote:
        Theme/rheme is a core concept for Japanese, for example,
        > in which many sentences begin with は (wa), and in overly slavish
        > translations might be rendered "As for [state the topic here],
        > [state some proposition or make some comment here]."

        Chinese comes to mind in this regard too.

        As concerns/regards...
        As to/for...
        Concerning...
        Regarding...
        With regard/respect to...
        As relates to...
        In respect of/to/that
        As far as (X) is concerned...
        When it comes to...
        .... Talking of which,...

        Co se tyka/tyce...
        Pokud jde o...
        ...?

        BTW V tomto smyslu sometimes works as "to this end" or "accordingly" in my experience.

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 21, 2012
          This is starting to come back to me. I think in grad school we covered it with regard to pidgin and creole languages. Thanks for jogging my memory, Michael.

          Jamie