Re: "washing-up liquid"- ALDICHAT

  • wustpisk
    Message 1 of 55 , Dec 20, 2012
      It is the same here, however the message is getting through. All shops sell the full range of excellent to utter crap, however Aldi tends to have more in the excellent category. I can't think of anywhere that offers coin-free baskets so that isn't a factor. Plus it is German, so many people, especially those who read the more downmarket organs such as the Daily Mailograph/Sun, etc., have a built-in aversion from birth.
      I fully understand the fear that people experience when they first go into an Aldi or a Lidl; I felt it myself. No branded products and cheap prices - all our lives we have been brainwashed by advertising into thinking 'brand - good, expensive - good, no-brand - bad, cheap - bad', but once you break through that barrier you will never go back to shops that have 50 different versions of basically the same thing on the shelves, all with different prices and all trying to bamboozle the poor shopper with BOGOF offers and the like.
      I like to have a choice of one and be confident that it is not going to make me ill/poor and maybe even taste nicer than the 100% more expensive item in Morrisons next door. I swear by it and save a huge amount every week on shopping.

      > In my city, Aldi seems to locate in neighborhoods that are underserved or completely unserved by the major supermarket chains, usually because the residents engage in too much theft. More well-to-do people appear to resent being forced to shop the German way (pay for the cart, pay for the bag, cash-only transactions), but in neighborhoods where most people can't get credit cards, I guess they don't notice anything odd. They also don't seem to mind the crackhead panhandling at the front door.
      >
      > In a way, paying for the shopping cart is a more dignified approach than that of the independent markets in those areas, where they install concrete posts around the door that are too close together to allow the cart to pass through. However, I wonder if the quarter the shoppers pay stops them from stealing the carts.
      >
      > And the typical German's claim that, "The products at Aldi are of very good quality!" is approximately equivalent to, "Mussolini made the trains run on time." The products run the gamut from very good to terrible.
      >
      > Jamie
      >
      > On Dec 20, 2012, at 7:04 AM, wustpisk wrote:
      >
      > > Au contraire - in our local Aldi it is the Porsches and Range Rovers that are in the car park. It is the new Waitrose (although I got some funny looks when I used an old Aldi bag when I happened to pop into Waitrose recently - that really confused them).
      > > Nowadays it is Non-U to be U.
      > >
      > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jakub Skrebsky <jakub.skrebsky@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> yes, by answering Jamie's question, I unintentionally revealed my socioeconomic background.
      > >> Buying fairy liquid only in Aldi and having never come across any other name for this stuff, I definitely belong to the British underclass:))
      > >>
      > >> Jakub

    • wustpisk
      Message 55 of 55 , Mar 15 6:45 PM
        'I'm very surprised you Brits aren't familiar with it'

        I wouldn't generalise on my behalf :) I like my coffee, but I don't like them doing anything fancy to it.
        I am certain that others living on these isles are far more au fait with the term than I am.