Re: [Czechlist] "washing-up liquid"

    Message 1 of 55 , Dec 20, 2012
      This is funny. In Detroit we actually have a chain of stores called The Polish Market, where most of the shoppers are East European, some quite elegantly dressed. Hardly any of the employees speak English properly, and when the stores are looking to hire, they post the ads in Polish only (highly illegal!). These places are known for very high-quality products, especially the baked goods.

      Jamie

      On Dec 20, 2012, at 7:40 AM, Jakub Skrebsky wrote:

      > Interesting. Here in Northern Ireland, Lidl is the most significant sign of recession. Our local Lidl store used to be called "the Polish Community Centre" by locals as most products, customers and staff were eastern European.
      > Recruits were not even required to speak English properly to get a job there. Nowadays, you can see posh local housewives roaming the shop, painstakingly reading the small English stickers on German and Hungarian products.
      > I live close to the border with Ireland. Sainsbury's (not one of the cheapest stores) is now full of fat, tracksuit wearing families from north Dublin who are willing to travel 200 km return journey for a weekly shopping.
      >
      > On 20 Dec 2012, at 12:04, wustpisk wrote:
      >
      >> Au contraire - in our local Aldi it is the Porsches and Range Rovers that are in the car park. It is the new Waitrose (although I got some funny looks when I used an old Aldi bag when I happened to pop into Waitrose recently - that really confused them).
      >> Nowadays it is Non-U to be U.
      >>
      >> --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jakub Skrebsky <jakub.skrebsky@...> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> yes, by answering Jamie's question, I unintentionally revealed my socioeconomic background.
      >>> Buying fairy liquid only in Aldi and having never come across any other name for this stuff, I definitely belong to the British underclass:))
      >>>
      >>> Jakub

    • wustpisk
      Message 55 of 55 , Mar 15, 2013
        'I'm very surprised you Brits aren't familiar with it'

        I wouldn't generalise on my behalf :) I like my coffee, but I don't like them doing anything fancy to it.
        I am certain that others living on these isles are far more au fait with the term than I am.