Re: [Czechlist] "folie"

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
      Hi all,

      in my feeling film is a thin layer of one material fixed ontop of something else, foil is a thin material alone.
      Am I right or not?

      Honza

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
        A jak se tedy rekne spravne bublinkata folie z plastu (bez kovove vrstvy)?
        A jak rekne to, cemu se v cestine rika film - velmi tenka vrstva nateru?

        Sarka

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
          That's not how I perceive the two words in an industrial and household sense. Here's how I picture the two:

          Film is usually made of plastic, and is often but not always transparent or translucent. (The celluloid they used to make movies with is film, which is why movies are called films. So is the plastic wrap that you stretch over bowls to keep food fresh.) It doesn't have to be on top of anything.

          Foil is usually but not always made of metal or something that looks like metal. It's crunchier. (The aluminum sheets people used to wrap food in before plastic film came out is foil. The silvery material on the back of blister packs holding medications is foil.)

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
            No jak asi - dej si do Googlu bubble foil a uvidís.
            Podle mého práve "film".
            Honza

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
              Are you talking about "bubble wrap"?

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                yes, agreed (or seconded?)

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                  150,000 hits for "bubble foil", a large percentage probably translated from German or some other language. I have never heard it in my life, and I'm suspicious of it.

                  15 million hits for "bubble wrap".

                  We use neither the word "foil" nor "film" when talking about that material.

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                    yes, bubble foil, bubble wrap, or bubble foil wrap

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                      I have never heard the word "foil" used in reference to that product. It sounds like bubble wrap with some kind of foil component in it. It would be silver colored.

                      Jamie

                      On Dec 13, 2012, at 1:50 AM, Jan Culka wrote:

                      > yes, bubble foil, bubble wrap, or bubble foil wrap

                    • Sarka Rubkova
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 13, 2012
                        No, I am talking about industrial insulation made of plastic but that soft as bubble wrap but with bubbles

                        Sarka