[Czechlist] "folie"

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
      Translators --

      If you translate a technical document that talks about "folie", please try to find out if it's foil or film and don't just assume it's foil. The next translator is liable to get TM that refers to what is obviously film as foil, and by that time the genie is out of the bottle.

      I know that sometimes it's not possible to find out.

    • Jan Culka
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
        Hi all,

        in my feeling film is a thin layer of one material fixed ontop of something else, foil is a thin material alone.
        Am I right or not?

        Honza

        If you translate a technical document that talks about "folie", please try to find out if it's foil or film and don't just assume it's foil. The next translator is liable to get TM that refers to what is obviously film as foil, and by that time the genie is out of the bottle.

        I know that sometimes it's not possible to find out.

      • Sarka Rubkova
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
          A jak se tedy rekne spravne bublinkata folie z plastu (bez kovove vrstvy)?
          A jak rekne to, cemu se v cestine rika film - velmi tenka vrstva nateru?

          Sarka

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
            That's not how I perceive the two words in an industrial and household sense. Here's how I picture the two:

            Film is usually made of plastic, and is often but not always transparent or translucent. (The celluloid they used to make movies with is film, which is why movies are called films. So is the plastic wrap that you stretch over bowls to keep food fresh.) It doesn't have to be on top of anything.

            Foil is usually but not always made of metal or something that looks like metal. It's crunchier. (The aluminum sheets people used to wrap food in before plastic film came out is foil. The silvery material on the back of blister packs holding medications is foil.)

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
              No jak asi - dej si do Googlu bubble foil a uvidís.
              Podle mého práve "film".
              Honza

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                Are you talking about "bubble wrap"?

                Jamie

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                  yes, agreed (or seconded?)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                    150,000 hits for "bubble foil", a large percentage probably translated from German or some other language. I have never heard it in my life, and I'm suspicious of it.

                    15 million hits for "bubble wrap".

                    We use neither the word "foil" nor "film" when talking about that material.

                    Jamie

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                      yes, bubble foil, bubble wrap, or bubble foil wrap

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                        I have never heard the word "foil" used in reference to that product. It sounds like bubble wrap with some kind of foil component in it. It would be silver colored.

                        Jamie

                        On Dec 13, 2012, at 1:50 AM, Jan Culka wrote:

                        > yes, bubble foil, bubble wrap, or bubble foil wrap

                      • Sarka Rubkova
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 13, 2012
                          No, I am talking about industrial insulation made of plastic but that soft as bubble wrap but with bubbles

                          Sarka