Re: Through (was "via")

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "wustpisk" <gerry.vickers@...> wrote:

      > You're right - I noticed yesterday morning that the Nicine creed states: 'through him all things were made', for example ('Per quem omnia facta sunt') - 'per', rather than 'via'.

      Hmm, now you have got me comparing the New International Version of John 1:3:

      Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

      with the King James Version:
      All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

      Seems to me there is a big potential difference in meaning between "through him" and "by him" here.

      No problems like that in Czech.

      Kralicky 1613
      Vsecky veci skrze ne ucineny jsou, a bez neho nic neni ucineno, coz ucineno jest.

      Ekumenicky 1985
      Vsechno povstalo skrze ne a bez neho nepovstalo nic, co jest.

      > It was the particular use of 'through' in Wigan which exactly mirrors the German sense of 'durch' in the 'by means of' sense, also in the sense of 'because of'

      Do the yonners up there (excuse Manc cosmopolitan chauvinism) say things like "Tha shant get thur any faster through shovin"?

      And do people in Wigan say "ooh, I'm coming over all wigan pier"? :-)

      >which struck me as unusual, and aside from that the Germanic/Viking influence on the language is generally marked in that neck of the woods (but not as much as in Newcastle).

      I read that for several centuries the Book of Common Prayer contained the prayer that God would "…deliver us from the North Man".

      Fortunately, the ninth century fortified settlements along the River Mersey seem to have done their job well, so we in Stretford retain our "grating accent that sounds halfway to Scouse", with none of that ecky thump stuff. :-) (excuse pure groundless speculation).