Re: [Czechlist] Tajenka

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2012
      The Swedish-style crossword is the one where the clues are written the the boxes and accompanied by arrows, as opposed to the style common in the US, where the clues are written to the side of the grid.

      An acrostic appears to be what is called a cipher crossword.

      Here's what Wikipedia says a tajenka is:

      "Tajenka je skryty text, ktery se objevi az po doplneni vsech ostatnich slov podle legendy."

      Jamie

      On Nov 6, 2012, at 1:32 PM, Liz wrote:

      > Hi Jamie,
      >
      > Um... the tajenka is the solution, right?
      >
      > Wikipedia calls it a "Swedish-style grid" (and elsewhere - "German-style grid").
      >
      > Liz

      >> Does anyone know what a tajenka is called in English? It's one of those crossword puzzles that reveals a word when it's completed.
      >>
      >> Jamie

    • Kent Christopher Kasha
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2012
        Hi Jamie,

        This applies to word search puzzles, but perhaps it will work here, too.
        When you find all the words in the word search sometimes you have what is
        called a hidden solution (or secret message in some cases) from the words or
        letters left over.

        Kent

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2012
          Later it occurred to me that it's not clear what kind of puzzle the text is talking about. It's for kids 5 to 6 years old, and crossword puzzles may be too complex for them. Maybe they were even talking about the "hangman" or "Wheel of Fortune" type of puzzle. It's not clear.

          Thanks for everyone's help.

          Jamie