Re: Tajenka

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2012
      I think acrostics fit this description (?), though in my experience they often reveal a whole phrase or a quote.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrostic_(puzzle)

      Alternative names towards the end of the entry. I would be tempted to spell it out for the reader, e.g. a "reveal the quote" crossword.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2012
        The Swedish-style crossword is the one where the clues are written the the boxes and accompanied by arrows, as opposed to the style common in the US, where the clues are written to the side of the grid.

        An acrostic appears to be what is called a cipher crossword.

        Here's what Wikipedia says a tajenka is:

        "Tajenka je skryty text, ktery se objevi az po doplneni vsech ostatnich slov podle legendy."

        Jamie

        On Nov 6, 2012, at 1:32 PM, Liz wrote:

        > Hi Jamie,
        >
        > Um... the tajenka is the solution, right?
        >
        > Wikipedia calls it a "Swedish-style grid" (and elsewhere - "German-style grid").
        >
        > Liz

        >> Does anyone know what a tajenka is called in English? It's one of those crossword puzzles that reveals a word when it's completed.
        >>
        >> Jamie

      • Kent Christopher Kasha
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2012
          Hi Jamie,

          This applies to word search puzzles, but perhaps it will work here, too.
          When you find all the words in the word search sometimes you have what is
          called a hidden solution (or secret message in some cases) from the words or
          letters left over.

          Kent

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2012
            Later it occurred to me that it's not clear what kind of puzzle the text is talking about. It's for kids 5 to 6 years old, and crossword puzzles may be too complex for them. Maybe they were even talking about the "hangman" or "Wheel of Fortune" type of puzzle. It's not clear.

            Thanks for everyone's help.

            Jamie