Re: [Czechlist] "Wet paint" thing

  • Sarka Rubkova
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 31, 2012
      Babrle

      sarka

      -----Original Message-----
      From: czechlist-bounces@... [mailto:czechlist-bounces@...] On Behalf Of James Kirchner
      Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 1:39 AM
      To: czechlist@...
      Subject: [Czechlist]"Wet paint" thing

      In the Czech Republic, when a fresh coat of wet paint is put on something like a park bench, etc., they don't put a sign on it that says "Wet Paint", like they do in the US. They take a stiff wire, twist it around a piece of paper towel or something, so that it looks like a bow tie, and they let the thing stick out from whatever has been painted.

      Is there a name for that little thing?

    • Petr
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
        Ze to jsou "babrlata", uz tu bylo receno.
        Jenom bych dodal, ze ani napisy "Pozor, cerstve natreno" tu nejsou tak uplna exotika.
        Petr Adamek

        > In the Czech Republic, when a fresh coat of wet paint is put on something like a park bench, etc., they don't put a sign on it that says "Wet Paint", like they do in the US. They take a stiff wire, twist it around a piece of paper towel or something, so that it looks like a bow tie, and they let the thing stick out from whatever has been painted.
        >
        > Is there a name for that little thing?

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012

          > In the Czech Republic, when a fresh coat of wet paint is put on something like a park bench, etc., they don't put a sign on it that says "Wet Paint", like they do in the US.

          Not going to argue with this babrle thing for a moment, but you do also see "cerstve natreno".

          http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lavi%C4%8Dka,_pozor_%C4%8Derstv%C4%9B_nat%C5%99eno.jpg

          Some more signs you know and love:

          Pozor - zly pes -- Beware of the dog (though "attention, the evil dog" sounds quite forbidding :-).

          Neklopit! -- This side up

          Zivotu nebezpecno! -- Danger!

          Nepovolanym vstup zakazan -- No admittance except on business

          Pozor schod -- Mind the step

          Pozor na mezeru -- Mind the gap VIZ
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Czechlist/message/5903

        • Diana Krausova
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
            Hi Jamie,

            It certainly could be the LSP. But I completed a couple of jobs for this particular client in the past and they accepted my standard rates both times. Hence my surprise...

            Diana

            CZECHTRANSLATIONS.COM
            tel: +1.248.787.8837
            fax: +1.248.629.6242

            Skype: czechtranslations
            email: diana@...
            dianakrausova@...

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 1, 2012
              Then they're probably being squeezed by the client. The funny thing is that they couldn't easily get a competent monolingual English proofreader for what they want to pay you.

              I've seen in companies where I worked before I was a translator that my colleagues' concept of quality control when right out the window once the project went into translation. At those companies, even if they had an employee who would know how to manage an outsourced translation project, that person usually wasn't put in charge of it. It usually went to an ignorant person who wanted to increase his fabulosity by being associated with something "international". Inevitably, the quality ended up being horrible, but nobody actually cared, because the project had been "successfully completed" at the price they wanted.

              Sometimes all they care about is who ends up with legal liability. At one ad agency they wound up with a brochure that was so garbled that it would have publicly humiliated the enormous, very important corporate client. I kept alerting the account executives and others to this, but the most common response was something like, "The translation house said they'd be liable for that." I'd ask, "But do you knowingly want it to go through that way?" There was no answer.

              Jamie

              On Nov 1, 2012, at 5:12 PM, Diana Krausova wrote:

              > Hi Jamie,
              >
              > It certainly could be the LSP. But I completed a couple of jobs for this particular client in the past and they accepted my standard rates both times. Hence my surprise...
              >
              > Diana
              >
              > CZECHTRANSLATIONS.COM
              > tel: +1.248.787.8837
              > fax: +1.248.629.6242
              >
              > Skype: czechtranslations
              > email: diana@...
              > dianakrausova@...
              >
              > On Nov 1, 2012, at 9:20 AM, Czechlist@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              >> 1b. Re: Neodolatelna nabidka
              >> Posted by: "James Kirchner" czechlist@... tomas.cejka
              >> Date: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:36 pm ((PDT))
              >>
              >> How do you know the problem is BP? It could be the LSP.
              >>
              >> This is that wonderful, absurd premise of the "volume discount". I tell students in training sessions and translation classes that volume discounts are nonsensical when it comes to services. A translator can't sell himself cheaper by spreading design and tooling costs over more units. However, people are ignorant of basic economics, so they fall for the trick sometimes.
              >>
              >> Jamie
              >>
              >> On Oct 31, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Diana Krausova wrote:
              >>
              >>> Ahoj ve skupine,
              >>>
              >>> chtela jsem se podelit s lakavou nabidkou, kterou jsem pred chvili obdrzela od klienta:
              >>>
              >>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              >>>
              >>> Dear Diana,
              >>>
              >>> We are currently looking for a linguist to proofread a document for a BP project from English to Czech.
              >>>
              >>> It contains 7155 words and subject matter is E-learning.
              >>> You will receive files on 6th November and the deadline is 7th November.
              >>>
              >>> Regarding a rate, although you've given us USD 25 / 1000 words for proofreading for the profile, would you please agree with USD 16 for this project if you would be interested in?
              >>> I'm aware that this is very cheap rate, but as I mentioned above, this is a project for BP, and we've basically got a very small budget for every BP project.
              >>> But instead, we have frequent and a number of projects.
              >>>
              >>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
              >>>
              >>> Je mi jasne, ze to nekdo nakonec vezme :( To zduvodnovani nizke sazby je nicmene usmevne, korporace BP zrovna zverejnila zisk radove v miliardach americkych dolaru...
              >>>

              >>> Diana
              >>>

              >>> CZECHTRANSLATIONS.COM
              >>> *****************************************
              >>> tel: +1.248.787.8837
              >>> fax: +1.248.629.6242
              >>>
              >>> Skype: czechtranslations
              >>> email: diana@...
              >>> dianakrausova@...

            • Tomas Mosler
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                Spis nez zisky BP (se stejnou logikou byste za praci pro momentalne
                prodelecnou firmu musela jeste platit) me zarazi jina vec:

                Zijete v USA a delate korektury (nedelam si iluze, ze by soucasti nebylo
                porovnani s originalem) za 0.025 USD? (A navzdory tomu se jeste
                pozastavujete nad nabidkou 0.016 USD.)

                A ja doted myslel, ze ceny podsekavaji jen prekladatele v Cesku.
                (Aby nedoslo k nedorozumeni, klidne si je podsekavejte, jen tento
                poznatek povazuji za novy kaminek do mozaiky duvodu maleho odhodlani
                nekterych kolegu v CR se na lacine joby vykaslat.)

                Tomas Mosler

                --- Diana Krausova <diana@...> wrote:

                > Ahoj ve skupine,
                >
                > chtela jsem se podelit s lakavou nabidkou, kterou jsem pred chvili
                obdrzela od klienta:

                > Dear Diana,
                >
                > We are currently looking for a linguist to proofread a document for a
                BP project from English to Czech.

                > It contains 7155 words and subject matter is E-learning.
                > You will receive files on 6th November and the deadline is 7th November.
                >
                > Regarding a rate, although you’ve given us USD 25 / 1000 words for
                proofreading for the profile, would you please agree with USD 16 for
                this project if you would be interested in?
                > I’m aware that this is very cheap rate, but as I mentioned above,
                this is a project for BP, and we’ve basically got a very small budget
                for every BP project.
                > But instead, we have frequent and a number of projects.

                > Je mi jasne, ze to nekdo nakonec vezme :( To zduvodnovani nizke
                sazby je nicmene usmevne, korporace BP zrovna zverejnila zisk radove v
                miliardach americkych dolaru…

                > Diana
              • Tomas Mosler
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                  In regards to the volume discount: While I understand your point Jamie, and I also don't like the trick of "many jobs for little money", I have no problem in offering a discount (though not 40 % as requested by that LSP) for individual jobs over 10k words.

                  My reasons are:
                  - It is easier to focus, to adapt to the specific terminology etc. in case of a 10k job from one client instead of doing this in case of 10x 1k job for 10 different clients (NB I don't consider 10x 1k job for the same client as one 10k job, also because it is not predictable)

                  - Only one communication loop instead of e.g. 10 loops saves my time

                  In other words, it is more efficient.

                  Tomas

                  > How do you know the problem is BP? It could be the LSP.
                  >
                  > This is that wonderful, absurd premise of the "volume discount". I tell students in training sessions and translation classes that volume discounts are nonsensical when it comes to services. A translator can't sell himself cheaper by spreading design and tooling costs over more units. However, people are ignorant of basic economics, so they fall for the trick sometimes.
                  >
                  > Jamie
                • Romana
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                    Milý Tomáši,

                    pro agenturu, která mi dává překlady ke korektuře skoro každý den, považuji USD 25 za 1000 slov absolutně fairní cenu. Já pro takovou agenturu pracuji taky a dostávám 18 GBP (má sídlo v UK), což je asi na stejné úrovni.

                    Můj názor je, že bychom měli podporovat agentury, které tyto dodatečné pracovní stupně dělají a za to platí. Bohužel existují stovky agentur, které tyto služby svým zákazníkům slibují, ale nenechávájí překlady zkontrolovat. To je v mých očích podvod na zákazníku.

                    Existují také agentury, které si prakticky dělají srandu z překladatelů tím, že jim nabízí něco jako tady: Nedávno mi kolegyně z Rakouska psala, ze nějaká nová agentura z Mnichova ji nabídla 0,025 EUR pro slovo za PŘEKLAD ... tak já jsem se u této agentury jen tak pro zajímavost představïla jako potenciální zákazkyně z Austrálie a požádala jsem o cenovou nabídku pro podobný překlad ... a agentura po mně chtěla 0,20 EUR pro slovo – OSMKRÁT tolik! Takové věci by se konečný zákazník měl dozvědět, a překladatelé by je taky měli vědět. Já radím každému, aby si u nových agentur vypátral ceny pro konečné zákazníky. Pokud Vám agentura chce platit méně než polovinu, tak ji zničte.

                    S pozdravem

                    Romana

                    --- Diana Krausova <diana@...> wrote:

                    > Ahoj ve skupine,
                    >
                    > chtela jsem se podelit s lakavou nabidkou, kterou jsem pred chvili
                    obdrzela od klienta:

                    > Dear Diana,
                    >
                    > We are currently looking for a linguist to proofread a document for a
                    BP project from English to Czech.

                    > It contains 7155 words and subject matter is E-learning.
                    > You will receive files on 6th November and the deadline is 7th November.
                    >
                    > Regarding a rate, although you’ve given us USD 25 / 1000 words for
                    proofreading for the profile, would you please agree with USD 16 for
                    this project if you would be interested in?
                    > I’m aware that this is very cheap rate, but as I mentioned above,
                    this is a project for BP, and we’ve basically got a very small budget
                    for every BP project.
                    > But instead, we have frequent and a number of projects.

                    > Je mi jasne, ze to nekdo nakonec vezme :( To zduvodnovani nizke
                    sazby je nicmene usmevne, korporace BP zrovna zverejnila zisk radove v
                    miliardach americkych dolaru…

                    > Diana

                  • Sarka Rubkova
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                      Is it that easier to justify any discount?

                      sarka

                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                        It depends Sarka, butwith large technical project, say 15k +, often it
                        is. Once you finetune your CAT tool and your brain to the text and style
                        - and establish the core terminology - things are much easier with most
                        technical projects I have seen. Plus, you will most likely get hundreds
                        or even thousands of internal match words that get paid at the full
                        rate. (Unless you accept wordcounts from Logoport, for instance.)

                        Sure, I am talking about technical texts such as manual, not literature.

                        The other thing is that clients offering such large projects often
                        expect very deep discounts - often much deeper than what is reasonable
                        and appropriate to the working time saved. You might save 10-20% of time
                        but they require a 50% cut.

                        Martin

                        Dne 2.11.2012 12:55, Sarka Rubkova napsal(a):
                        > Is it that easier to justify any discount?
                        >

                        > sarka

                      • Tomas Mosler
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                          I'm not sure I understand your point, can you elaborate a bit? Thanks.

                          Either way, I didn't write about "any" discount.

                          Tomas

                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" <sarka@...> wrote:

                          > Is it that easier to justify any discount?
                          >

                          > sarka

                        • Diana Krausova
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                            Tomasi,

                            ano, ziju v USA, ale ceny nepodsekavam. Ta sazba, kterou mela agentura v databazi je zhruba 10 let stara, tudiz neplatna. Lacine zakazky rovnez odmitam :)

                            A BP prave vykazala zisk: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/business/global/bp-returns-to-profitability-and-raises-dividend.html

                            Hezky den,
                            Diana

                            > 1c. Re: Neodolatelna nabidka
                            > Posted by: "Tomas Mosler" tomas.mosler@... tomas_mosler
                            > Date: Fri Nov 2, 2012 3:10 am ((PDT))
                            >
                            > Spis nez zisky BP (se stejnou logikou byste za praci pro momentalne
                            > prodelecnou firmu musela jeste platit) me zarazi jina vec:
                            >
                            > Zijete v USA a delate korektury (nedelam si iluze, ze by soucasti nebylo
                            > porovnani s originalem) za 0.025 USD? (A navzdory tomu se jeste
                            > pozastavujete nad nabidkou 0.016 USD.)
                            >
                            > A ja doted myslel, ze ceny podsekavaji jen prekladatele v Cesku.
                            > (Aby nedoslo k nedorozumeni, klidne si je podsekavejte, jen tento
                            > poznatek povazuji za novy kaminek do mozaiky duvodu maleho odhodlani
                            > nekterych kolegu v CR se na lacine joby vykaslat.)
                            >
                            > Tomas Mosler
                            >

                            > --- Diana Krausova <diana@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Ahoj ve skupine,
                            >>
                            >> chtela jsem se podelit s lakavou nabidkou, kterou jsem pred chvili
                            > obdrzela od klienta:

                            >> Dear Diana,
                            >>
                            >> We are currently looking for a linguist to proofread a document for a
                            > BP project from English to Czech.
                            >>
                            >> It contains 7155 words and subject matter is E-learning.
                            >> You will receive files on 6th November and the deadline is 7th November.
                            >>
                            >> Regarding a rate, although youâ•˙ve given us USD 25 / 1000 words for
                            > proofreading for the profile, would you please agree with USD 16 for
                            > this project if you would be interested in?
                            >> Iâ•˙m aware that this is very cheap rate, but as I mentioned above,
                            > this is a project for BP, and weâ•˙ve basically got a very small budget
                            > for every BP project.
                            >> But instead, we have frequent and a number of projects.

                            >> Je mi jasne, ze to nekdo nakonec vezme :( To zduvodnovani nizke
                            > sazby je nicmene usmevne, korporace BP zrovna zverejnila zisk radove v
                            > miliardach americkych dolaru╜
                            >>

                            >> Diana

                            CZECHTRANSLATIONS.COM
                            tel: +1.248.787.8837
                            fax: +1.248.629.6242

                            Skype: czechtranslations
                            email: diana@...
                            dianakrausova@...
                          • Tomas Mosler
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                              > ano, ziju v USA, ale ceny nepodsekavam. Ta sazba, kterou mela agentura v databazi je zhruba 10 let stara, tudiz neplatna. Lacine zakazky rovnez odmitam :)

                              Vyborne (ono to z toho e-mailu nebylo poznat, puvodni sazbu jste nekomentovala a navic kdyz jste psala, ze jste pro ne neco delala).

                              > A BP prave vykazala zisk

                              Jiste, to jsem nezpochybnoval, pouze nerozumim te logice, ze klient jako by mel platit za jednotku sluzby v zavislosti na vysi sveho zisku... (Napr. Microsoft mel ve druhem ctvrtleti kalendarniho roku 2012 cistou ztratu, presto pro nej asi prekladatele nepracovali zadarmo nebo dokonce tak, ze by za preklad platili.)

                              Tomas

                              > > 1c. Re: Neodolatelna nabidka
                              > > Posted by: "Tomas Mosler" tomas.mosler@... tomas_mosler
                              > > Date: Fri Nov 2, 2012 3:10 am ((PDT))
                              > >
                              > > Spis nez zisky BP (se stejnou logikou byste za praci pro momentalne
                              > > prodelecnou firmu musela jeste platit) me zarazi jina vec:
                              > >
                              > > Zijete v USA a delate korektury (nedelam si iluze, ze by soucasti nebylo
                              > > porovnani s originalem) za 0.025 USD? (A navzdory tomu se jeste
                              > > pozastavujete nad nabidkou 0.016 USD.)
                              > >
                              > > A ja doted myslel, ze ceny podsekavaji jen prekladatele v Cesku.
                              > > (Aby nedoslo k nedorozumeni, klidne si je podsekavejte, jen tento
                              > > poznatek povazuji za novy kaminek do mozaiky duvodu maleho odhodlani
                              > > nekterych kolegu v CR se na lacine joby vykaslat.)
                              > >
                              > > Tomas Mosler
                              > >

                              > > --- Diana Krausova <diana@> wrote:
                              > >>
                              > >> Ahoj ve skupine,
                              > >>
                              > >> chtela jsem se podelit s lakavou nabidkou, kterou jsem pred chvili
                              > > obdrzela od klienta:
                              > >>

                              > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              > >>
                              > >> Dear Diana,
                              > >>
                              > >> We are currently looking for a linguist to proofread a document for a
                              > > BP project from English to Czech.
                              > >>
                              > >> It contains 7155 words and subject matter is E-learning.
                              > >> You will receive files on 6th November and the deadline is 7th November.
                              > >>
                              > >> Regarding a rate, although youâ•˙ve given us USD 25 / 1000 words for
                              > > proofreading for the profile, would you please agree with USD 16 for
                              > > this project if you would be interested in?
                              > >> Iâ•˙m aware that this is very cheap rate, but as I mentioned above,
                              > > this is a project for BP, and weâ•˙ve basically got a very small budget
                              > > for every BP project.
                              > >> But instead, we have frequent and a number of projects.

                              > >> Je mi jasne, ze to nekdo nakonec vezme :( To zduvodnovani nizke
                              > > sazby je nicmene usmevne, korporace BP zrovna zverejnila zisk radove v
                              > > miliardach americkych dolaruâ•Å"
                              > >>

                              > >> Diana
                              > >

                              > CZECHTRANSLATIONS.COM
                              > tel: +1.248.787.8837
                              > fax: +1.248.629.6242
                              >
                              > Skype: czechtranslations
                              > email: diana@...
                              > dianakrausova@...

                            • Tomas Mosler
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 2, 2012
                                Romano, Vasi predstavu o "fairni" cene Vam neberu. Je-li x % prekladatelu spokojeno s Vami uvadenou sazbou, aspon nevznika konkurencni pretlak u skupiny dalsich x % prekladatelu, kteri za korekturu uctuji treba dvojnasobek, atd.

                                Ale uplne nerozumim Vasemu nazoru o "nasi podpore agentur". To je snad prece vec te agentury, co a za kolik zadava a co slibuje, proc by to mel byt duvod k obhajobe levnych korektur (misto zadnych korektur), na coz doplati jen prekladatel?

                                Krome toho, stejne tak lze prece agentury poctive zajistujici korektury podporovat (provedenim te korektury) i treba za nasobek sazby.

                                Stejne tak nerozumim, proc se starate o niceni agentur (ale pritom ochotne nicite sebe, pokud pominu moznost, ze z nejakeho duvodu opravdu radeji pracujete za nizsi sazby nez za vyssi) - marze jsou jejich vec, pokud prekladatele za nejakou sazbu nebudou ochotni pracovat, je po problemu.

                                Tomas

                              • ferstl@volny.cz
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 3, 2012
                                  Martine, zrovna jsem mela rozepsan mail s naprosto stejnou myslenkou. Nase
                                  profese je v tom naprosto jedinecna. Kdyz si vezmu svou vlastní zkusenost -
                                  nedavno jsem pocitala, ze pouhych 5 % sve práce prodavam ceskym klientum, a
                                  to jen z urcite slabosti a diky dlouholetym vztahum. Jako prekladatele se
                                  nemusime se nikam premistovat, a pokud bychom tu potrebu meli, pak bych to
                                  videla na nejaky romanticky domecek na plazi - jako nekolik mych znamych
                                  prekladatelu, kterym odrostly deti.
                                  Hezky sobotni podvecer
                                  Lenka

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 4, 2012
                                    Jeste bych chtela v této souvislosti zminit jeden aspekt prace v Cechach a
                                    pro zahranicni klienty.
                                    Pokud vezmeme v uvahu preklady "velkych" jazyku, jako je anglictina, nemcina
                                    atd., konkurence v Cechach je velika, v ruzne kvalite, zamereni atd.
                                    Jestlize vsak takovy prekladatel pracuje pro zahranicniho klienta, razem se
                                    z nej stava prekladatel "exotickeho" jazyka, coz ma dle meho také vliv na
                                    vysledne sazby.
                                    Hezkou nedeli preji
                                    Lenka

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 4, 2012
                                      Lenko, v zasade souhlasim. Asi pred 6 lety jsem nahodou zjistil, ze pokud umim prekladat z anglictiny a ziju v Cechach, neni to nic zvlastniho. Pokud se stejnou kvalifikaci ziju v UK, jsem automaticky povazovan za specialistu. To mi tehdy dodalo odvahu vydat se na volnou nohu.
                                      Jenze agentury i primi klienti uz davno zjistili, ze se vyplati najmout si prekladatele z vychodu. Stejne hledaji lidi online a zadavani zakazek take probiha vetsinou e-mailem. Misto pobytu prekladatele tak stale hraje vyraznou roli, ale nyni opacnou. Cim dale na vychod, tim lepe. Takze ikdyz ziju v UK, jsem postupne tlacen dolu na vychodni ceny. Jedinou obranou je soustredit se na konzervativni klienty, kteri jeste neobjevili globalni outsourcing/crowdsourcing. Krome toho v UK platim mnohem vyssi dane, protoze zde neexistuje nakladovy pausal.
                                      Vetsina mych zdejsich kolegu, prekladajicich mezi AJ a vychodoevropskymi jazyky, zustava v UK spise z osobnich/rodinnych duvodu.

                                      Jakub

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 5, 2012
                                        Svym zoůsobem máš asi pravdu - ale jako obvykle neplatí to vždy.
                                        sarka