Big V or little v.

  • Charles Stanford
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
      Help please listmates! In an informed consent form/patient information
      sheet in Czech, should the vy and vas be capitalised...? It's not a letter
      strictly speaking but it is addressing the patient directly .... e.g. "Je
      zcela na v�s, zda se chcete �i nechcete z��astnit. Kdy� se rozhodnete z
      hodnocen� odstoupit nebo se ho ji� ne��astnit, va�e dal�� l��ba se nijak
      nezm�n�.".
      I never know.
      Thanks for any help
      Charlie

    • Irena.Steinerova@tiscali.cz
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
        It seems that you can choose... However, in more formal texts they
        recommend capitalised V:

        http://www.ujc.cas.cz/jazykova-poradna/porfaq.html#vy

        irena

        Dne 17.10.2012 16:08, Charles Stanford napsal(a):
        > Help please listmates! In an informed consent form/patient information
        > sheet in Czech, should the vy and vas be capitalised...? It's not a letter
        > strictly speaking but it is addressing the patient directly .... e.g. "Je
        > zcela na vás, zda se chcete či nechcete zúčastnit. Když se rozhodnete z
        > hodnocení odstoupit nebo se ho již neúčastnit, vaše další léčba se nijak
        > nezmění.".
        > I never know.
        > Thanks for any help
        > Charlie

      • JAROSLAV HEJZLAR
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
          Hi, Charlie!
          In my opinion, this capitalization is not used so frequently any more and
          nobody would feel offended.
          But it is rather subjective, so you should perhaps consult the client what
          they would prefer
          Best regards,
          Jarda

          > Help please listmates! In an informed consent form/patient information
          > sheet in Czech, should the vy and vas be capitalised...? It's not a letter
          > strictly speaking but it is addressing the patient directly .... e.g. "Je
          > zcela na vás, zda se chcete či nechcete zúčastnit. Když se rozhodnete z
          > hodnocení odstoupit nebo se ho již neúčastnit, vaše další léčba se nijak
          > nezmění.".
          > I never know.
          > Thanks for any help
          > Charlie

        • Jakub Skrebsky
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
            I agree with Jarda.
            Maybe I am a bit conservative but I think capitalised V should be only used o express respect in PERSONAL letters.
            Though I have seen capitalised V in many texts on advert billboards along the road or in technical FAQ on websites, often with the wrong reflexive pronoun (zapnete Vas pristroj stisknutim tlacitka Start).

            In a Kaufland supermarket in Prostejov, there used to be a 4 sq. metre sign hanging above the coffee grinder in the corner, saying "Vazeni zakaznici. Mlynek na kavu pro Vas" and a huge red arrow pointing to the little slacky grinder.
            That is politeness going too far, isn't it?

            Jakub

            On 17 Oct 2012, at 15:51, JAROSLAV HEJZLAR wrote:

            > Hi, Charlie!
            > In my opinion, this capitalization is not used so frequently any more and
            > nobody would feel offended.
            > But it is rather subjective, so you should perhaps consult the client what
            > they would prefer
            > Best regards,
            > Jarda

          • (no author)
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
              AFAIK capitalising Vy, Vas, etc. is strictly reserved to letters and
              Emails..

              It has no place in contracts, marketing materials, questionnaires, or
              any other form that's not a letter - it would be considered a mistake
              by purists and an eye sore by rest of us.. But people often do it and
              overdo it... just like trying to be over-spisovny and writing by jste
              instead of byste...

              Matej
              >Help please listmates! In an informed consent form/patient information
              >sheet in Czech, should the vy and vas be capitalised...? It's not a letter
              >strictly speaking but it is addressing the patient directly .... e.g. "Je
              >zcela na vás, zda se chcete èi nechcete zúèastnit. Kdy¾ se rozhodnete z
              >hodnocení odstoupit nebo se ho ji¾ neúèastnit, va¹e dal¹í léèba se nijak
              >nezmìní.".
              >I never know.
              >Thanks for any help
              >Charlie

              > (Yahoo! ID required)
              >

              >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Markéta Vilhelmová
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
                Oh, I can agree that capitalization is used rarely today but I worked on
                more than a couple of ICFs and capitalization is usually required here as
                well as in package leaflets for medicinal products.

                Marketa

                --
                Marketa Vilhelmova
                Domasov u Stbk. 46