Re: [Czechlist] Reader devices revisited

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 17, 2012
      The color Nook (at least the versions now being replaced) is actually a complete Android tablet. It merely has a BN interface. You can to anything on it that you can do on an Android tablet, and there's even a hack to get rid of the BN interface (although it voids your warranty, so you need to wait a year). It's as fast and capable as any other Android tablet, but it costs about $200 less, so it's not overpriced or underequipped. It just looks like it is.

      I do know which e-reader app my friend uses in Android, because I used it before he did. Before I gave him the Android tablet, I used three different e-reader apps on it: the Amazon Kindle app, the BN Nook app, and Aldiko Reader (http://www.aldiko.com).

      The most common e-book format is ePub, although some of the reader programs will load and display PDFs.

      You adjust the paper color, contrast, font, etc., through the app. One app I use (MegaReader) has a weird feature that allows you to superimpose the text on an image of whatever your camera is picking up. I've never figured out what it's for, unless they think you'll want to keep an eye on your kids through it.

      Jamie