Re: HELP - TERM: checkout or carts

  • wustpisk
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
      Just making sure you were awake :)

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
        Meanwhile, in the UK they use the term "trolley", which sounds like there are steel tracks running through the aisles of the supermarket on which 1890s trams rumble back and forth while their driver pulls a strap to ring a bell. Nothing can be quainter or more old-fashioned than that.

        This is your cue to link to a BBC article that attests to Americans being fat and stupid.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
          You said it :)

          Where I live trolleys are underpants.

          I use a basket when I go shopping.

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
            We also use baskets, but they don't have wheels. Actually some people call shopping carts shopping baskets even if they do have wheels.

            JK

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
              Oh yes - you've got to have wheels on your shopping basket. it gets a bit heavy otherwise.

              Shopping cart conjures up the image of a giant shire horse clip-clopping around Aldi :) Quaint, but might become necessary with a growing family ... http://www.ashendhouse.fsnet.co.uk/shire/photos/cart.jpg

              Don't get me wrong, it's quite nice that you've kept hold of some more old-fashioned sayings on your side of the pond.

              > We also use baskets, but they don't have wheels. Actually some people call shopping carts shopping baskets even if they do have wheels.
              >
              > JK
              >
              > On Oct 12, 2012, at 8:41 AM, wustpisk wrote:
              >
              > > You said it :)
              > >
              > > Where I live trolleys are underpants.
              > >
              > > I use a basket when I go shopping.
              > >
              > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Meanwhile, in the UK they use the term "trolley", which sounds like there are steel tracks running through the aisles of the supermarket on which 1890s trams rumble back and forth while their driver pulls a strap to ring a bell. Nothing can be quainter or more old-fashioned than that.
              > >>
              > >> This is your cue to link to a BBC article that attests to Americans being fat and stupid.
              > >>
              > >> Jamie

            • Jaroslav Hejzlar
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
                Hi!
                Thanks a lot, Jamie (and also thank you, Matěj, Jakub and Gerry)!
                I expected something like that but I was not quite sure. Your explanation is very helpful. I hope now I will manage to invent some short translations for both the terms.
                Enjoy the rest of the day (although the weather is not very nice)!
                Regards,
                Jarda

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 14, 2012
                  What do Czech call a "widow" in the typographical sense? It's a single word left alone on the last line of a paragraph.

                • wustpisk
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 14, 2012
                    I believe the term is, funnily enough, 'vdova', and is understood by those in the trade.

                    Or 'Visici radek', less succinctly: 'vychodovy radek jako prvni radek ve sloupci sazby.', 'zarazkovy radek jako posledni radek ve sloupci sazby', 'radek odstavce na konci stranky' etc

                    Then there is a 'syrotek' as well ...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 14, 2012
                      Thanks, Gerry. When I was living there, I found that the typesetters I dealt with didn't know terms like this. Plus, there were no standard proofreader's marks that I could find. Very frustrating.

                      Jamie

                      On Oct 14, 2012, at 6:46 PM, wustpisk wrote:

                      > I believe the term is, funnily enough, 'vdova', and is understood by those in the trade.
                      >
                      > Or 'Visici radek', less succinctly: 'vychodovy radek jako prvni radek ve sloupci sazby.', 'zarazkovy radek jako posledni radek ve sloupci sazby', 'radek odstavce na konci stranky' etc
                      >
                      > Then there is a 'syrotek' as well ...

                      >> What do Czech call a "widow" in the typographical sense? It's a single word left alone on the last line of a paragraph.
                      >>
                      >> Jamie

                    • Pilucha, Jiri
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 14, 2012
                        Vdova, indeed.

                        See for instance
                        http://web.quick.cz/iveta_kulhava/Typografie/Slovnicek.htm#vdova

                        By the way, the proofreader's marks currently used were standardized as far back as the 1960s and there was never any problem looking them up under CSN 88 0410.

                        Jiri