Re: [Czechlist] HELP - TERM: checkout or carts

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
      It's got nothing to do with online shopping!

      It is saying that there are two choices:

      1. Each kid can go to the school's media center, sign as the temporary recipient of a laptop, and then he has use of it for a specific time, and maybe can even take it home. Then he has to return it. In the US we check out library books, and the "pult" where we do this is the checkout desk.

      2. The school's computer or audio-visual person wheels a cart filled with laptops into the classroom at a time designated by the teacher. The kids use them for a specific length of time, and then they put them all back on the cart and the guy comes back and takes the cart away.

      I am 100% sure that this is what it means.

      Jamie
      (who works in the US educational system)

      On Oct 12, 2012, at 5:23 AM, wustpisk wrote:

      > I'm sure it refers to the 'checkout' when purchasing on-line. I have seen 'cart' but it is jarring to one's ears as it looks like 'go-kart' or 'horse and cart'. I think in the US they use this old-fashioned term - it is slightly quaint, but that's what they say.
      > For example Amazon uses 'cart' in their US version, and 'basket' in the .co.uk version.
      >
      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <jaroslav.hejzlar@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Dear friends,
      >> I need your help with the term "checkout or carts" in the context of educational equipment:
      >>
      >> ...Mac notebooks for each student OR notebooks available for students as necessary (checkout or carts)
      >>
      >> Can you please provide me with some suggestions how to translate this to Czech or at least some explanation of what they mean?
      >> Thanks a lot in advance.
      >> Best regards,
      >> Jaroslav Hejzlar

    • wustpisk
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
        Just making sure you were awake :)

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
          Meanwhile, in the UK they use the term "trolley", which sounds like there are steel tracks running through the aisles of the supermarket on which 1890s trams rumble back and forth while their driver pulls a strap to ring a bell. Nothing can be quainter or more old-fashioned than that.

          This is your cue to link to a BBC article that attests to Americans being fat and stupid.

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
            You said it :)

            Where I live trolleys are underpants.

            I use a basket when I go shopping.

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
              We also use baskets, but they don't have wheels. Actually some people call shopping carts shopping baskets even if they do have wheels.

              JK

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
                Oh yes - you've got to have wheels on your shopping basket. it gets a bit heavy otherwise.

                Shopping cart conjures up the image of a giant shire horse clip-clopping around Aldi :) Quaint, but might become necessary with a growing family ... http://www.ashendhouse.fsnet.co.uk/shire/photos/cart.jpg

                Don't get me wrong, it's quite nice that you've kept hold of some more old-fashioned sayings on your side of the pond.

                > We also use baskets, but they don't have wheels. Actually some people call shopping carts shopping baskets even if they do have wheels.
                >
                > JK
                >
                > On Oct 12, 2012, at 8:41 AM, wustpisk wrote:
                >
                > > You said it :)
                > >
                > > Where I live trolleys are underpants.
                > >
                > > I use a basket when I go shopping.
                > >
                > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Meanwhile, in the UK they use the term "trolley", which sounds like there are steel tracks running through the aisles of the supermarket on which 1890s trams rumble back and forth while their driver pulls a strap to ring a bell. Nothing can be quainter or more old-fashioned than that.
                > >>
                > >> This is your cue to link to a BBC article that attests to Americans being fat and stupid.
                > >>
                > >> Jamie

              • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
                  Hi!
                  Thanks a lot, Jamie (and also thank you, Matěj, Jakub and Gerry)!
                  I expected something like that but I was not quite sure. Your explanation is very helpful. I hope now I will manage to invent some short translations for both the terms.
                  Enjoy the rest of the day (although the weather is not very nice)!
                  Regards,
                  Jarda

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 14, 2012
                    What do Czech call a "widow" in the typographical sense? It's a single word left alone on the last line of a paragraph.

                  • wustpisk
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 14, 2012
                      I believe the term is, funnily enough, 'vdova', and is understood by those in the trade.

                      Or 'Visici radek', less succinctly: 'vychodovy radek jako prvni radek ve sloupci sazby.', 'zarazkovy radek jako posledni radek ve sloupci sazby', 'radek odstavce na konci stranky' etc

                      Then there is a 'syrotek' as well ...

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 14, 2012
                        Thanks, Gerry. When I was living there, I found that the typesetters I dealt with didn't know terms like this. Plus, there were no standard proofreader's marks that I could find. Very frustrating.

                        Jamie

                        On Oct 14, 2012, at 6:46 PM, wustpisk wrote:

                        > I believe the term is, funnily enough, 'vdova', and is understood by those in the trade.
                        >
                        > Or 'Visici radek', less succinctly: 'vychodovy radek jako prvni radek ve sloupci sazby.', 'zarazkovy radek jako posledni radek ve sloupci sazby', 'radek odstavce na konci stranky' etc
                        >
                        > Then there is a 'syrotek' as well ...

                        >> What do Czech call a "widow" in the typographical sense? It's a single word left alone on the last line of a paragraph.
                        >>
                        >> Jamie

                      • Pilucha, Jiri
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 14, 2012
                          Vdova, indeed.

                          See for instance
                          http://web.quick.cz/iveta_kulhava/Typografie/Slovnicek.htm#vdova

                          By the way, the proofreader's marks currently used were standardized as far back as the 1960s and there was never any problem looking them up under CSN 88 0410.

                          Jiri