Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: HELP - TERM: checkout or carts

Expand Messages
  • wustpisk
    I m sure it refers to the checkout when purchasing on-line. I have seen cart but it is jarring to one s ears as it looks like go-kart or horse and
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      I'm sure it refers to the 'checkout' when purchasing on-line. I have seen 'cart' but it is jarring to one's ears as it looks like 'go-kart' or 'horse and cart'. I think in the US they use this old-fashioned term - it is slightly quaint, but that's what they say.
      For example Amazon uses 'cart' in their US version, and 'basket' in the .co.uk version.

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <jaroslav.hejzlar@...> wrote:
      >
      > Dear friends,
      > I need your help with the term “checkout or carts” in the context of educational equipment:
      >
      > ...Mac notebooks for each student OR notebooks available for students as necessary (checkout or carts)
      >
      > Can you please provide me with some suggestions how to translate this to Czech or at least some explanation of what they mean?
      > Thanks a lot in advance.
      > Best regards,
      > Jaroslav Hejzlar
      >
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
    • (no author)
      Right, I think we discussed cart/checkout/basket before, but the problem Jarda has here that there s no online shopping involved here.. I suspect it s from a
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        Right, I think we discussed cart/checkout/basket before, but the
        problem Jarda has here that there's no online shopping involved here..

        I suspect it's from a quote for some sort of training course, students
        either get a Mac book each for the duration, OR they get one only when
        needed - and the checkout or carts PROBABLY (in my mind) refer to some
        sort of reservation and checkout system for the computers??? but why
        checkout OR carts?

        M
        ------ Original Message ------
        From: "wustpisk" <gerry.vickers@...>
        To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: 12.10.2012 11:23:35
        Subject: [Czechlist] Re: HELP - TERM: checkout or carts
        > I'm sure it refers to the 'checkout' when purchasing on-line. I have
        >seen 'cart' but it is jarring to one's ears as it looks like 'go-kart'
        >or 'horse and cart'. I think in the US they use this old-fashioned
        >term - it is slightly quaint, but that's what they say.
        >For example Amazon uses 'cart' in their US version, and 'basket' in
        >the .co.uk version.
        >
        >--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <jaroslav.hejzlar@...>
        >wrote:
        >>
        >> Dear friends,
        >> I need your help with the term “checkout or carts” in the
        >context of educational equipment:
        >>
        >> ...Mac notebooks for each student OR notebooks available for
        >students as necessary (checkout or carts)
        >>
        >> Can you please provide me with some suggestions how to translate
        >this to Czech or at least some explanation of what they mean?
        >> Thanks a lot in advance.
        >> Best regards,
        >> Jaroslav Hejzlar
        >>
        >>
        >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >>
        >
        >


        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • James Kirchner
        It s got nothing to do with online shopping! It is saying that there are two choices: 1. Each kid can go to the school s media center, sign as the temporary
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          It's got nothing to do with online shopping!

          It is saying that there are two choices:

          1. Each kid can go to the school's media center, sign as the temporary recipient of a laptop, and then he has use of it for a specific time, and maybe can even take it home. Then he has to return it. In the US we check out library books, and the "pult" where we do this is the checkout desk.

          2. The school's computer or audio-visual person wheels a cart filled with laptops into the classroom at a time designated by the teacher. The kids use them for a specific length of time, and then they put them all back on the cart and the guy comes back and takes the cart away.

          I am 100% sure that this is what it means.

          Jamie
          (who works in the US educational system)

          On Oct 12, 2012, at 5:23 AM, wustpisk wrote:

          > I'm sure it refers to the 'checkout' when purchasing on-line. I have seen 'cart' but it is jarring to one's ears as it looks like 'go-kart' or 'horse and cart'. I think in the US they use this old-fashioned term - it is slightly quaint, but that's what they say.
          > For example Amazon uses 'cart' in their US version, and 'basket' in the .co.uk version.
          >
          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <jaroslav.hejzlar@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Dear friends,
          >> I need your help with the term "checkout or carts" in the context of educational equipment:
          >>
          >> ...Mac notebooks for each student OR notebooks available for students as necessary (checkout or carts)
          >>
          >> Can you please provide me with some suggestions how to translate this to Czech or at least some explanation of what they mean?
          >> Thanks a lot in advance.
          >> Best regards,
          >> Jaroslav Hejzlar
          >>
          >>
          >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          >>
          >
          >
          > _______________________________________________
          > Czechlist mailing list
          > Czechlist@...
          > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist


          _______________________________________________
          Czechlist mailing list
          Czechlist@...
          http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
        • wustpisk
          Just making sure you were awake :)
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            Just making sure you were awake :)

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
            >
            > It's got nothing to do with online shopping!
            >
            > It is saying that there are two choices:
            >
            > 1. Each kid can go to the school's media center, sign as the temporary recipient of a laptop, and then he has use of it for a specific time, and maybe can even take it home. Then he has to return it. In the US we check out library books, and the "pult" where we do this is the checkout desk.
            >
            > 2. The school's computer or audio-visual person wheels a cart filled with laptops into the classroom at a time designated by the teacher. The kids use them for a specific length of time, and then they put them all back on the cart and the guy comes back and takes the cart away.
            >
            > I am 100% sure that this is what it means.
            >
            > Jamie
            > (who works in the US educational system)
            >
            > On Oct 12, 2012, at 5:23 AM, wustpisk wrote:
            >
            > > I'm sure it refers to the 'checkout' when purchasing on-line. I have seen 'cart' but it is jarring to one's ears as it looks like 'go-kart' or 'horse and cart'. I think in the US they use this old-fashioned term - it is slightly quaint, but that's what they say.
            > > For example Amazon uses 'cart' in their US version, and 'basket' in the .co.uk version.
            > >
            > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <jaroslav.hejzlar@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> Dear friends,
            > >> I need your help with the term "checkout or carts" in the context of educational equipment:
            > >>
            > >> ...Mac notebooks for each student OR notebooks available for students as necessary (checkout or carts)
            > >>
            > >> Can you please provide me with some suggestions how to translate this to Czech or at least some explanation of what they mean?
            > >> Thanks a lot in advance.
            > >> Best regards,
            > >> Jaroslav Hejzlar
            > >>
            > >>
            > >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            > >>
            > >
            > >
            > > _______________________________________________
            > > Czechlist mailing list
            > > Czechlist@...
            > > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
            >
            >
            > _______________________________________________
            > Czechlist mailing list
            > Czechlist@...
            > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
            >
          • James Kirchner
            Meanwhile, in the UK they use the term trolley , which sounds like there are steel tracks running through the aisles of the supermarket on which 1890s trams
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              Meanwhile, in the UK they use the term "trolley", which sounds like there are steel tracks running through the aisles of the supermarket on which 1890s trams rumble back and forth while their driver pulls a strap to ring a bell. Nothing can be quainter or more old-fashioned than that.

              This is your cue to link to a BBC article that attests to Americans being fat and stupid.

              Jamie

              On Oct 12, 2012, at 8:10 AM, wustpisk wrote:

              >>> I'm sure it refers to the 'checkout' when purchasing on-line. I have seen 'cart' but it is jarring to one's ears as it looks like 'go-kart' or 'horse and cart'. I think in the US they use this old-fashioned term - it is slightly quaint, but that's what they say.

              _______________________________________________
              Czechlist mailing list
              Czechlist@...
              http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
            • wustpisk
              You said it :) Where I live trolleys are underpants. I use a basket when I go shopping.
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                You said it :)

                Where I live trolleys are underpants.

                I use a basket when I go shopping.

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
                >
                > Meanwhile, in the UK they use the term "trolley", which sounds like there are steel tracks running through the aisles of the supermarket on which 1890s trams rumble back and forth while their driver pulls a strap to ring a bell. Nothing can be quainter or more old-fashioned than that.
                >
                > This is your cue to link to a BBC article that attests to Americans being fat and stupid.
                >
                > Jamie
                >
                > On Oct 12, 2012, at 8:10 AM, wustpisk wrote:
                >
                > >>> I'm sure it refers to the 'checkout' when purchasing on-line. I have seen 'cart' but it is jarring to one's ears as it looks like 'go-kart' or 'horse and cart'. I think in the US they use this old-fashioned term - it is slightly quaint, but that's what they say.
                >
                > _______________________________________________
                > Czechlist mailing list
                > Czechlist@...
                > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                >
              • James Kirchner
                We also use baskets, but they don t have wheels. Actually some people call shopping carts shopping baskets even if they do have wheels. JK ...
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  We also use baskets, but they don't have wheels. Actually some people call shopping carts shopping baskets even if they do have wheels.

                  JK

                  On Oct 12, 2012, at 8:41 AM, wustpisk wrote:

                  > You said it :)
                  >
                  > Where I live trolleys are underpants.
                  >
                  > I use a basket when I go shopping.
                  >
                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Meanwhile, in the UK they use the term "trolley", which sounds like there are steel tracks running through the aisles of the supermarket on which 1890s trams rumble back and forth while their driver pulls a strap to ring a bell. Nothing can be quainter or more old-fashioned than that.
                  >>
                  >> This is your cue to link to a BBC article that attests to Americans being fat and stupid.
                  >>
                  >> Jamie
                  >>
                  >> On Oct 12, 2012, at 8:10 AM, wustpisk wrote:
                  >>
                  >>>>> I'm sure it refers to the 'checkout' when purchasing on-line. I have seen 'cart' but it is jarring to one's ears as it looks like 'go-kart' or 'horse and cart'. I think in the US they use this old-fashioned term - it is slightly quaint, but that's what they say.
                  >>
                  >> _______________________________________________
                  >> Czechlist mailing list
                  >> Czechlist@...
                  >> http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                  >>
                  >
                  >
                  > _______________________________________________
                  > Czechlist mailing list
                  > Czechlist@...
                  > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist


                  _______________________________________________
                  Czechlist mailing list
                  Czechlist@...
                  http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                • wustpisk
                  Oh yes - you ve got to have wheels on your shopping basket. it gets a bit heavy otherwise. Shopping cart conjures up the image of a giant shire horse
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Oh yes - you've got to have wheels on your shopping basket. it gets a bit heavy otherwise.

                    Shopping cart conjures up the image of a giant shire horse clip-clopping around Aldi :) Quaint, but might become necessary with a growing family ... http://www.ashendhouse.fsnet.co.uk/shire/photos/cart.jpg

                    Don't get me wrong, it's quite nice that you've kept hold of some more old-fashioned sayings on your side of the pond.

                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > We also use baskets, but they don't have wheels. Actually some people call shopping carts shopping baskets even if they do have wheels.
                    >
                    > JK
                    >
                    > On Oct 12, 2012, at 8:41 AM, wustpisk wrote:
                    >
                    > > You said it :)
                    > >
                    > > Where I live trolleys are underpants.
                    > >
                    > > I use a basket when I go shopping.
                    > >
                    > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@> wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >> Meanwhile, in the UK they use the term "trolley", which sounds like there are steel tracks running through the aisles of the supermarket on which 1890s trams rumble back and forth while their driver pulls a strap to ring a bell. Nothing can be quainter or more old-fashioned than that.
                    > >>
                    > >> This is your cue to link to a BBC article that attests to Americans being fat and stupid.
                    > >>
                    > >> Jamie
                    > >>
                    > >> On Oct 12, 2012, at 8:10 AM, wustpisk wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >>>>> I'm sure it refers to the 'checkout' when purchasing on-line. I have seen 'cart' but it is jarring to one's ears as it looks like 'go-kart' or 'horse and cart'. I think in the US they use this old-fashioned term - it is slightly quaint, but that's what they say.
                    > >>
                    > >> _______________________________________________
                    > >> Czechlist mailing list
                    > >> Czechlist@
                    > >> http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                    > >>
                    > >
                    > >
                    > > _______________________________________________
                    > > Czechlist mailing list
                    > > Czechlist@...
                    > > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                    >
                    >
                    > _______________________________________________
                    > Czechlist mailing list
                    > Czechlist@...
                    > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                    >
                  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                    Hi! Thanks a lot, Jamie (and also thank you, Matěj, Jakub and Gerry)! I expected something like that but I was not quite sure. Your explanation is very
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 12, 2012
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Hi!
                      Thanks a lot, Jamie (and also thank you, Matěj, Jakub and Gerry)!
                      I expected something like that but I was not quite sure. Your explanation is very helpful. I hope now I will manage to invent some short translations for both the terms.
                      Enjoy the rest of the day (although the weather is not very nice)!
                      Regards,
                      Jarda

                      From: James Kirchner
                      Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 2:09 PM
                      To: czechlist@...
                      Subject: Re: [Czechlist] HELP - TERM: checkout or carts


                      It's got nothing to do with online shopping!

                      It is saying that there are two choices:

                      1. Each kid can go to the school's media center, sign as the temporary recipient of a laptop, and then he has use of it for a specific time, and maybe can even take it home. Then he has to return it. In the US we check out library books, and the "pult" where we do this is the checkout desk.

                      2. The school's computer or audio-visual person wheels a cart filled with laptops into the classroom at a time designated by the teacher. The kids use them for a specific length of time, and then they put them all back on the cart and the guy comes back and takes the cart away.

                      I am 100% sure that this is what it means.

                      Jamie
                      (who works in the US educational system)

                      On Oct 12, 2012, at 5:23 AM, wustpisk wrote:

                      > I'm sure it refers to the 'checkout' when purchasing on-line. I have seen 'cart' but it is jarring to one's ears as it looks like 'go-kart' or 'horse and cart'. I think in the US they use this old-fashioned term - it is slightly quaint, but that's what they say.
                      > For example Amazon uses 'cart' in their US version, and 'basket' in the .co.uk version.
                      >
                      > --- In mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <jaroslav.hejzlar@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Dear friends,
                      >> I need your help with the term "checkout or carts" in the context of educational equipment:
                      >>
                      >> ...Mac notebooks for each student OR notebooks available for students as necessary (checkout or carts)
                      >>
                      >> Can you please provide me with some suggestions how to translate this to Czech or at least some explanation of what they mean?
                      >> Thanks a lot in advance.
                      >> Best regards,
                      >> Jaroslav Hejzlar
                      >>
                      >>
                      >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      >>
                      >
                      >
                      > _______________________________________________
                      > Czechlist mailing list
                      > mailto:Czechlist%40czechlist.org
                      > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist

                      _______________________________________________
                      Czechlist mailing list
                      mailto:Czechlist%40czechlist.org
                      http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist




                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    • James Kirchner
                      What do Czech call a widow in the typographical sense? It s a single word left alone on the last line of a paragraph. Jamie
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 14, 2012
                      • 0 Attachment
                        What do Czech call a "widow" in the typographical sense? It's a single word left alone on the last line of a paragraph.

                        Jamie


                        _______________________________________________
                        Czechlist mailing list
                        Czechlist@...
                        http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                      • wustpisk
                        I believe the term is, funnily enough, vdova , and is understood by those in the trade. Or Visici radek , less succinctly: vychodovy radek jako prvni radek
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 14, 2012
                        • 0 Attachment
                          I believe the term is, funnily enough, 'vdova', and is understood by those in the trade.

                          Or 'Visici radek', less succinctly: 'vychodovy radek jako prvni radek ve sloupci sazby.', 'zarazkovy radek jako posledni radek ve sloupci sazby', 'radek odstavce na konci stranky' etc

                          Then there is a 'syrotek' as well ...

                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > What do Czech call a "widow" in the typographical sense? It's a single word left alone on the last line of a paragraph.
                          >
                          > Jamie
                          >
                          >
                          > _______________________________________________
                          > Czechlist mailing list
                          > Czechlist@...
                          > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                          >
                        • James Kirchner
                          Thanks, Gerry. When I was living there, I found that the typesetters I dealt with didn t know terms like this. Plus, there were no standard proofreader s
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 14, 2012
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Thanks, Gerry. When I was living there, I found that the typesetters I dealt with didn't know terms like this. Plus, there were no standard proofreader's marks that I could find. Very frustrating.

                            Jamie

                            On Oct 14, 2012, at 6:46 PM, wustpisk wrote:

                            > I believe the term is, funnily enough, 'vdova', and is understood by those in the trade.
                            >
                            > Or 'Visici radek', less succinctly: 'vychodovy radek jako prvni radek ve sloupci sazby.', 'zarazkovy radek jako posledni radek ve sloupci sazby', 'radek odstavce na konci stranky' etc
                            >
                            > Then there is a 'syrotek' as well ...
                            >
                            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> What do Czech call a "widow" in the typographical sense? It's a single word left alone on the last line of a paragraph.
                            >>
                            >> Jamie
                            >>
                            >>
                            >> _______________________________________________
                            >> Czechlist mailing list
                            >> Czechlist@...
                            >> http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                            >>
                            >
                            > _______________________________________________
                            > Czechlist mailing list
                            > Czechlist@...
                            > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist


                            _______________________________________________
                            Czechlist mailing list
                            Czechlist@...
                            http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                          • Pilucha, Jiri
                            Vdova, indeed. See for instance http://web.quick.cz/iveta_kulhava/Typografie/Slovnicek.htm#vdova By the way, the proofreader s marks currently used were
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 14, 2012
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Vdova, indeed.

                              See for instance
                              http://web.quick.cz/iveta_kulhava/Typografie/Slovnicek.htm#vdova

                              By the way, the proofreader's marks currently used were standardized as far back as the 1960s and there was never any problem looking them up under CSN 88 0410.

                              Jiri


                              From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of James Kirchner
                              Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 12:56 AM
                              To: czechlist@...
                              Subject: Re: [Czechlist] "widow"



                              Thanks, Gerry. When I was living there, I found that the typesetters I dealt with didn't know terms like this. Plus, there were no standard proofreader's marks that I could find. Very frustrating.

                              Jamie

                              On Oct 14, 2012, at 6:46 PM, wustpisk wrote:

                              > I believe the term is, funnily enough, 'vdova', and is understood by those in the trade.
                              >
                              > Or 'Visici radek', less succinctly: 'vychodovy radek jako prvni radek ve sloupci sazby.', 'zarazkovy radek jako posledni radek ve sloupci sazby', 'radek odstavce na konci stranky' etc
                              >
                              > Then there is a 'syrotek' as well ...
                              >
                              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>, James Kirchner <czechlist@...<mailto:czechlist@...>> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> What do Czech call a "widow" in the typographical sense? It's a single word left alone on the last line of a paragraph.
                              >>
                              >> Jamie
                              >>
                              >>
                              >> _______________________________________________
                              >> Czechlist mailing list
                              >> Czechlist@...
                              >> http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist
                              >>
                              >
                              > _______________________________________________
                              > Czechlist mailing list
                              > Czechlist@...<mailto:Czechlist%40czechlist.org>
                              > http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist

                              _______________________________________________
                              Czechlist mailing list
                              Czechlist@...<mailto:Czechlist%40czechlist.org>
                              http://www.czechlist.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/czechlist



                              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.