--ize

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2012
      I'm wondering how far you can go in *izing things.

      just heard my US friend say: "I need to winterize my boat."

      (It really shockirized me)

      Jiri

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2012
        You can "-ize" almost anything, at least in slang.

        In North America, "winterize" is a fairly standard term for preparing a house or vehicle (or even a garden) for winter. It's just a short, easy way to say you've changed the grade of oil, changed the antifreeze, put on the snow tires, etc. It's extremely common.

        Jamie

        On Oct 11, 2012, at 9:01 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

        > I'm wondering how far you can go in *izing things.
        >
        > just heard my US friend say: "I need to winterize my boat."
        >
        > (It really shockirized me)
        >
        > Jiri

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2012
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:

          > I'm wondering how far you can go in *izing things.

          Here are some interesting notes on usage of -ize, -ify and similar suffixes:

          http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/26751/suffixes-for-verbification-ify-icise-ificate

          The answer to your next question is "Czechified".

          Or possibly "Czechicized".

          Perhaps we will never know for sure.

          Lots of hits for "bohemianized", but I guess that is something else.

          Regards,

          M.
        • wustpisk
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2012
            Well knock me down with a feather, winterise appears to be used in proper English as well http://www.watercraftservices.com/how_to_winterise_your_marine_engine.htm
            http://uk.askmen.com/cars/car_tips_150/164_car_tip.html

            but being from Oxford of course I would spell it 'winterize' :)

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:

            > I'm wondering how far you can go in *izing things.
            >
            > just heard my US friend say: "I need to winterize my boat."
            >
            > (It really shockirized me)
            >
            > Jiri

          • Petr
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 11, 2012
              Mozna, ze lecktery z nasich anglicky mluvicich pratel by byl stejne prekvapeny ceskym slovem "zazimovat".
              Petr Adamek