[Czechlist] TERM: minimum/maximum cold temperature

  • Josef Hlavac
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2012
      Hi all,

      in a user manual for a refrigerator:

      "The numbers that are on the knob refer to different temperatures of
      cold. Turn the temperature knob to lower settings to obtain minimum cold
      temperature. Turn the temperature knob to higher settings to obtain
      maximum cold temperature."

      I'm confused. If I turn the knob to lower settings, what happens? Does
      it get warmer or colder inside the fridge?

      Thanks!
      Josef

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2012
        This sounds like a translation.

        If you turn the knob to the lower settings, the fridge gets warmer.
        If you turn knob to the higher settings, the fridge gets colder.

        The lower settings probably show a red symbol and the higher ones a blue symbol, I'll bet.

        Jamie

        On Sep 7, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Josef Hlavac wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > in a user manual for a refrigerator:
        >
        > "The numbers that are on the knob refer to different temperatures of cold. Turn the temperature knob to lower settings to obtain minimum cold temperature. Turn the temperature knob to higher settings to obtain maximum cold temperature."
        >
        > I'm confused. If I turn the knob to lower settings, what happens? Does it get warmer or colder inside the fridge?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Josef

      • Petr
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2012
          Mne to prijde jednoznacne. Mas tam rekneme stupne od 0 (nechladi) do 10 (maximalne chladi). Cili nastavis-li vic (ze 7 na 8), bude to chladit vic. Ta blbost je v tom slovu "temperature". Kdyby nasali jenom "maximum cold", tolik by to nematlo.
          Petr Adamek

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Josef Hlavac <joe@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > in a user manual for a refrigerator:
          >
          > "The numbers that are on the knob refer to different temperatures of
          > cold. Turn the temperature knob to lower settings to obtain minimum cold
          > temperature. Turn the temperature knob to higher settings to obtain
          > maximum cold temperature."
          >
          > I'm confused. If I turn the knob to lower settings, what happens? Does
          > it get warmer or colder inside the fridge?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Josef

        • Josef Hlavac
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2012
            Thank you, Jamie and Petr.

            I know that fridges usually work as you described but this twisted
            wording seems to suggest either way...

            Josef