Re: grammar

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5 10:49 AM
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
      >Az neco najdu, dam ti vedet, co jsem nasel

      When I find something I’ll let you know (what). :-)

      To go back to your first sentence:
      I’ll let you know what I find/have found/found

      Basically, what Jamie said.

      I would dissuade students from using ‘will have found’ here. The “will” is quite redundant in all but the most contrived cases IMO.
      :-)

      I agree that #3 is much more unlikely, but yes, I can think of a case where it might well be acceptable, e.g. if today is Wednesday, I’ll be doing a search on Thursday and I’ll report back to you on Friday then on Friday I will let you know what I found on Thursday (because it is normally bad form to use the present perfect with the day before and similar time expressions). A better example might be:

      My birthday is on Friday but I will not see you till Saturday, so:
      On Saturday I’ll let you know what I got/received for my birthday on Friday (the present perfect would be wrong here IMO)