Re: [Czechlist] grammar

  • czechlist@czechlist.org
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
      I'll let you know what I find - the most usual.

      I'll let you know what I've found - this either means (as someone said -
      can't find who it was now) that I've already found the thing but I'm not
      telling you what it is, or (as Jamie said) that I'm thinking about the
      finding as a completed action, something that's under my belt. What I've
      managed to find, maybe.

      (Use the verb "cook" instead, and the difference is more apparent:
      "I'll let you know what I cook."
      "I'll let you know what I've cooked.")

      You can't, however, say "I'll let you know what I will have found."

      (OK, am now trying to think of an extremely improbable situation in which
      you could say that. Maybe Melvyn will be along in a minute to think of one
      :))

      Valerie

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
        You could only use "what I will have found" in this way (with an emphasis
        on the will):

        I won't have found x by next week. What I will have found will be an
        assortment of useless objects.

        The equivalent after "I'll let you know" would be "I'll let you know what
        I do find."

        Valerie

        > I'll let you know what I find - the most usual.
        >
        > I'll let you know what I've found - this either means (as someone said -
        > can't find who it was now) that I've already found the thing but I'm not
        > telling you what it is, or (as Jamie said) that I'm thinking about the
        > finding as a completed action, something that's under my belt. What I've
        > managed to find, maybe.
        >
        > (Use the verb "cook" instead, and the difference is more apparent:
        > "I'll let you know what I cook."
        > "I'll let you know what I've cooked.")
        >
        > You can't, however, say "I'll let you know what I will have found."
        >
        > (OK, am now trying to think of an extremely improbable situation in which
        > you could say that. Maybe Melvyn will be along in a minute to think of one
        > :))
        >
        > Valerie
        >
        >> Jirko, it may theoretically make sense but I suspect that nobody would
        >> in
        >> practice use a construction like that... or would they?

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
          >Az neco najdu, dam ti vedet, co jsem nasel

          When I find something I’ll let you know (what). :-)

          To go back to your first sentence:
          I’ll let you know what I find/have found/found

          Basically, what Jamie said.

          I would dissuade students from using ‘will have found’ here. The “will” is quite redundant in all but the most contrived cases IMO.
          :-)

          I agree that #3 is much more unlikely, but yes, I can think of a case where it might well be acceptable, e.g. if today is Wednesday, I’ll be doing a search on Thursday and I’ll report back to you on Friday then on Friday I will let you know what I found on Thursday (because it is normally bad form to use the present perfect with the day before and similar time expressions). A better example might be:

          My birthday is on Friday but I will not see you till Saturday, so:
          On Saturday I’ll let you know what I got/received for my birthday on Friday (the present perfect would be wrong here IMO)