RE: [Czechlist] RE: grammar

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
      Jirko, it may theoretically make sense but I suspect that nobody would in practice use a construction like that… or would they?

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
        I'll let you know what I find - the most usual.

        I'll let you know what I've found - this either means (as someone said -
        can't find who it was now) that I've already found the thing but I'm not
        telling you what it is, or (as Jamie said) that I'm thinking about the
        finding as a completed action, something that's under my belt. What I've
        managed to find, maybe.

        (Use the verb "cook" instead, and the difference is more apparent:
        "I'll let you know what I cook."
        "I'll let you know what I've cooked.")

        You can't, however, say "I'll let you know what I will have found."

        (OK, am now trying to think of an extremely improbable situation in which
        you could say that. Maybe Melvyn will be along in a minute to think of one
        :))

        Valerie

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
          You could only use "what I will have found" in this way (with an emphasis
          on the will):

          I won't have found x by next week. What I will have found will be an
          assortment of useless objects.

          The equivalent after "I'll let you know" would be "I'll let you know what
          I do find."

          Valerie

          > I'll let you know what I find - the most usual.
          >
          > I'll let you know what I've found - this either means (as someone said -
          > can't find who it was now) that I've already found the thing but I'm not
          > telling you what it is, or (as Jamie said) that I'm thinking about the
          > finding as a completed action, something that's under my belt. What I've
          > managed to find, maybe.
          >
          > (Use the verb "cook" instead, and the difference is more apparent:
          > "I'll let you know what I cook."
          > "I'll let you know what I've cooked.")
          >
          > You can't, however, say "I'll let you know what I will have found."
          >
          > (OK, am now trying to think of an extremely improbable situation in which
          > you could say that. Maybe Melvyn will be along in a minute to think of one
          > :))
          >
          > Valerie
          >
          >> Jirko, it may theoretically make sense but I suspect that nobody would
          >> in
          >> practice use a construction like that... or would they?

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
            >Az neco najdu, dam ti vedet, co jsem nasel

            When I find something I’ll let you know (what). :-)

            To go back to your first sentence:
            I’ll let you know what I find/have found/found

            Basically, what Jamie said.

            I would dissuade students from using ‘will have found’ here. The “will” is quite redundant in all but the most contrived cases IMO.
            :-)

            I agree that #3 is much more unlikely, but yes, I can think of a case where it might well be acceptable, e.g. if today is Wednesday, I’ll be doing a search on Thursday and I’ll report back to you on Friday then on Friday I will let you know what I found on Thursday (because it is normally bad form to use the present perfect with the day before and similar time expressions). A better example might be:

            My birthday is on Friday but I will not see you till Saturday, so:
            On Saturday I’ll let you know what I got/received for my birthday on Friday (the present perfect would be wrong here IMO)