Re: [Czechlist] RE: grammar

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
      > … or perhaps another example a bit more complicated…

      My suggestion: "I'll let you know what I will have found when (a) I have
      found it OR (b) when I find it. I think (a) is better to indicate a
      completed action or event.

      Jirka Bolech
    • Pilucha, Jiri
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
        Jirko, it may theoretically make sense but I suspect that nobody would in practice use a construction like that… or would they?

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
          I'll let you know what I find - the most usual.

          I'll let you know what I've found - this either means (as someone said -
          can't find who it was now) that I've already found the thing but I'm not
          telling you what it is, or (as Jamie said) that I'm thinking about the
          finding as a completed action, something that's under my belt. What I've
          managed to find, maybe.

          (Use the verb "cook" instead, and the difference is more apparent:
          "I'll let you know what I cook."
          "I'll let you know what I've cooked.")

          You can't, however, say "I'll let you know what I will have found."

          (OK, am now trying to think of an extremely improbable situation in which
          you could say that. Maybe Melvyn will be along in a minute to think of one
          :))

          Valerie

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
            You could only use "what I will have found" in this way (with an emphasis
            on the will):

            I won't have found x by next week. What I will have found will be an
            assortment of useless objects.

            The equivalent after "I'll let you know" would be "I'll let you know what
            I do find."

            Valerie

            > I'll let you know what I find - the most usual.
            >
            > I'll let you know what I've found - this either means (as someone said -
            > can't find who it was now) that I've already found the thing but I'm not
            > telling you what it is, or (as Jamie said) that I'm thinking about the
            > finding as a completed action, something that's under my belt. What I've
            > managed to find, maybe.
            >
            > (Use the verb "cook" instead, and the difference is more apparent:
            > "I'll let you know what I cook."
            > "I'll let you know what I've cooked.")
            >
            > You can't, however, say "I'll let you know what I will have found."
            >
            > (OK, am now trying to think of an extremely improbable situation in which
            > you could say that. Maybe Melvyn will be along in a minute to think of one
            > :))
            >
            > Valerie
            >
            >> Jirko, it may theoretically make sense but I suspect that nobody would
            >> in
            >> practice use a construction like that... or would they?

          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
              >Az neco najdu, dam ti vedet, co jsem nasel

              When I find something I’ll let you know (what). :-)

              To go back to your first sentence:
              I’ll let you know what I find/have found/found

              Basically, what Jamie said.

              I would dissuade students from using ‘will have found’ here. The “will” is quite redundant in all but the most contrived cases IMO.
              :-)

              I agree that #3 is much more unlikely, but yes, I can think of a case where it might well be acceptable, e.g. if today is Wednesday, I’ll be doing a search on Thursday and I’ll report back to you on Friday then on Friday I will let you know what I found on Thursday (because it is normally bad form to use the present perfect with the day before and similar time expressions). A better example might be:

              My birthday is on Friday but I will not see you till Saturday, so:
              On Saturday I’ll let you know what I got/received for my birthday on Friday (the present perfect would be wrong here IMO)