RE: grammar

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
      … or perhaps another example a bit more complicated…

      Az neco najdu, dam ti vedet, co jsem nasel

      Thanks a lot
      Jiri

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
        Hi Jiri,

        I suppose the context decides. I actually think that the most logical
        possibility is "I'll let you know what I will have found."

        One of your options, "I'll let you know what I have found" sounds like
        you already know what you've found but don't want to or can't tell right
        now. I do imagine a lot of people actually use this wording to mean the
        above though.

        Let's see if the native speakers agree...

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
          > … or perhaps another example a bit more complicated…

          My suggestion: "I'll let you know what I will have found when (a) I have
          found it OR (b) when I find it. I think (a) is better to indicate a
          completed action or event.

          Jirka Bolech
        • Charlie Stanford Translations
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
            I'd put "If (and when) I find something I'll let you know what I've found"
            But you could use "I'll let you know if I find something"
            We'll all be tying ourselves in grammatical knots in a minute I am sure

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
              Jirko, it may theoretically make sense but I suspect that nobody would in practice use a construction like that… or would they?

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                I'll let you know what I find - the most usual.

                I'll let you know what I've found - this either means (as someone said -
                can't find who it was now) that I've already found the thing but I'm not
                telling you what it is, or (as Jamie said) that I'm thinking about the
                finding as a completed action, something that's under my belt. What I've
                managed to find, maybe.

                (Use the verb "cook" instead, and the difference is more apparent:
                "I'll let you know what I cook."
                "I'll let you know what I've cooked.")

                You can't, however, say "I'll let you know what I will have found."

                (OK, am now trying to think of an extremely improbable situation in which
                you could say that. Maybe Melvyn will be along in a minute to think of one
                :))

                Valerie

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                  You could only use "what I will have found" in this way (with an emphasis
                  on the will):

                  I won't have found x by next week. What I will have found will be an
                  assortment of useless objects.

                  The equivalent after "I'll let you know" would be "I'll let you know what
                  I do find."

                  Valerie

                  > I'll let you know what I find - the most usual.
                  >
                  > I'll let you know what I've found - this either means (as someone said -
                  > can't find who it was now) that I've already found the thing but I'm not
                  > telling you what it is, or (as Jamie said) that I'm thinking about the
                  > finding as a completed action, something that's under my belt. What I've
                  > managed to find, maybe.
                  >
                  > (Use the verb "cook" instead, and the difference is more apparent:
                  > "I'll let you know what I cook."
                  > "I'll let you know what I've cooked.")
                  >
                  > You can't, however, say "I'll let you know what I will have found."
                  >
                  > (OK, am now trying to think of an extremely improbable situation in which
                  > you could say that. Maybe Melvyn will be along in a minute to think of one
                  > :))
                  >
                  > Valerie
                  >
                  >> Jirko, it may theoretically make sense but I suspect that nobody would
                  >> in
                  >> practice use a construction like that... or would they?

                • Melvyn
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
                    >Az neco najdu, dam ti vedet, co jsem nasel

                    When I find something I’ll let you know (what). :-)

                    To go back to your first sentence:
                    I’ll let you know what I find/have found/found

                    Basically, what Jamie said.

                    I would dissuade students from using ‘will have found’ here. The “will” is quite redundant in all but the most contrived cases IMO.
                    :-)

                    I agree that #3 is much more unlikely, but yes, I can think of a case where it might well be acceptable, e.g. if today is Wednesday, I’ll be doing a search on Thursday and I’ll report back to you on Friday then on Friday I will let you know what I found on Thursday (because it is normally bad form to use the present perfect with the day before and similar time expressions). A better example might be:

                    My birthday is on Friday but I will not see you till Saturday, so:
                    On Saturday I’ll let you know what I got/received for my birthday on Friday (the present perfect would be wrong here IMO)