Re: [Czechlist] grammar

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
      Both "find" and "have found" are correct here, depending on the speaker's point of view.

      When he says, "I'll let you know what I find," he's placing himself in the present and viewing the finding as being in the future.

      When he says, "I'll let you know what I have found," he's imagining himself in the future when the finding has already been already completed.

      So both are right, depending on where in time the speaker is picturing himself.

      Jamie

      On Sep 5, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

      > I am totally embarassed and ashamed of myself to be asking such a 001 question, but what is the right tense here please:
      > I'll let you know what I find/have found/found
      > Thanks
      > Jiri

    • Pilucha, Jiri
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
        … or perhaps another example a bit more complicated…

        Az neco najdu, dam ti vedet, co jsem nasel

        Thanks a lot
        Jiri

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
          Hi Jiri,

          I suppose the context decides. I actually think that the most logical
          possibility is "I'll let you know what I will have found."

          One of your options, "I'll let you know what I have found" sounds like
          you already know what you've found but don't want to or can't tell right
          now. I do imagine a lot of people actually use this wording to mean the
          above though.

          Let's see if the native speakers agree...

          Jirka Bolech
        • Charlie Stanford Translations
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
            1 or 2 work Jiri. 3 not really. Not a 001 question at all

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
              > … or perhaps another example a bit more complicated…

              My suggestion: "I'll let you know what I will have found when (a) I have
              found it OR (b) when I find it. I think (a) is better to indicate a
              completed action or event.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                I'd put "If (and when) I find something I'll let you know what I've found"
                But you could use "I'll let you know if I find something"
                We'll all be tying ourselves in grammatical knots in a minute I am sure

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                  Jirko, it may theoretically make sense but I suspect that nobody would in practice use a construction like that… or would they?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                    I'll let you know what I find - the most usual.

                    I'll let you know what I've found - this either means (as someone said -
                    can't find who it was now) that I've already found the thing but I'm not
                    telling you what it is, or (as Jamie said) that I'm thinking about the
                    finding as a completed action, something that's under my belt. What I've
                    managed to find, maybe.

                    (Use the verb "cook" instead, and the difference is more apparent:
                    "I'll let you know what I cook."
                    "I'll let you know what I've cooked.")

                    You can't, however, say "I'll let you know what I will have found."

                    (OK, am now trying to think of an extremely improbable situation in which
                    you could say that. Maybe Melvyn will be along in a minute to think of one
                    :))

                    Valerie

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                      You could only use "what I will have found" in this way (with an emphasis
                      on the will):

                      I won't have found x by next week. What I will have found will be an
                      assortment of useless objects.

                      The equivalent after "I'll let you know" would be "I'll let you know what
                      I do find."

                      Valerie

                      > I'll let you know what I find - the most usual.
                      >
                      > I'll let you know what I've found - this either means (as someone said -
                      > can't find who it was now) that I've already found the thing but I'm not
                      > telling you what it is, or (as Jamie said) that I'm thinking about the
                      > finding as a completed action, something that's under my belt. What I've
                      > managed to find, maybe.
                      >
                      > (Use the verb "cook" instead, and the difference is more apparent:
                      > "I'll let you know what I cook."
                      > "I'll let you know what I've cooked.")
                      >
                      > You can't, however, say "I'll let you know what I will have found."
                      >
                      > (OK, am now trying to think of an extremely improbable situation in which
                      > you could say that. Maybe Melvyn will be along in a minute to think of one
                      > :))
                      >
                      > Valerie
                      >
                      >> Jirko, it may theoretically make sense but I suspect that nobody would
                      >> in
                      >> practice use a construction like that... or would they?

                    • Melvyn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
                        >Az neco najdu, dam ti vedet, co jsem nasel

                        When I find something I’ll let you know (what). :-)

                        To go back to your first sentence:
                        I’ll let you know what I find/have found/found

                        Basically, what Jamie said.

                        I would dissuade students from using ‘will have found’ here. The “will” is quite redundant in all but the most contrived cases IMO.
                        :-)

                        I agree that #3 is much more unlikely, but yes, I can think of a case where it might well be acceptable, e.g. if today is Wednesday, I’ll be doing a search on Thursday and I’ll report back to you on Friday then on Friday I will let you know what I found on Thursday (because it is normally bad form to use the present perfect with the day before and similar time expressions). A better example might be:

                        My birthday is on Friday but I will not see you till Saturday, so:
                        On Saturday I’ll let you know what I got/received for my birthday on Friday (the present perfect would be wrong here IMO)