CHAT: Prague drawl (was: kolty proklate nizko)

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 22 1:16 PM
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Liz" <spacils@...> wrote:
      >Hey, didn't Queen Victoria herself say there should be more gals like her?

      Okaay. Think of the grouse hunting parties. Woohey.

      >"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," he replied in remarkably unaffected English.

      Gawn wit da Wind, huh?. I really must extend my knowledge of American literature beyond Damon Runyon. I'm sure it hasn't _really_ all been downhill since Whitman.

      Probably have more of a sporting chance of understanding if I read Jih proti severu. I mean I cotton on to jizni krasavice a lot sooner than Southern Belle. Mind you, I find most "classic" English literature makes a lot more sense in Czech translation. Shakespeare, for example. I used to agree with Tolstoy that he is overrated, until I read Hilsky's Hamlet. All fell into place. Conrad, described by my old Eng Lit teacher as turgid, sounds quite chirpy and conversational in Czech. Na vetrne hurce just does not cut it in any other version, with the possible exception of Les Hauts de Hurlevent. :-)

      >I've always loved the drawl, the
      drawwwwwwl, the one that moves as slow as swamp water, where "Well" at the
      beginning of a sentence is three notes on a trombone and people aaaaahv gaaawt
      aaaahl the taaaaaahm in the wuuuuuld tuuh git yuuh suuhm caaaw-feee.

      Mooc hezky. :-) Nedavas hodiny?

      Hala, taakhle mluvi i v Praze a v streednich Ceechaach. Faaaak joooo.