Re: Use of the TM symbol in Czech

  • wustpisk
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 8, 2012
      If they want their little TM, let them have it
      koho chleba jís, toho pisen zpivej

      Neres to :)

      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 9, 2012
        I did (let them have it if they want to), but I told them it's going to
        look silly in an ad headline... the reason I asked here was to confirm
        whether that's not just my theory/preference..

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 9, 2012
          No, that's a preference of all native Czechs (or at least those with a
          decent language feeling). That's something I keep struggling with every
          day when facing my clients, typically US-based agency PMs. My favorite
          reply to those requests is something like this:

          Imagine you have a Spanish client asking you to translate their fancy
          Spanish ad into English. The client demands that you keep all inverted
          questionmarks and exclamation marks (that they use at the beginning of
          sentences) because 'If it works in Spanish, then it must work in English
          too'. Would you be happy with that?

          Another M

          Dne 9.8.2012 9:49, Matej Klimes napsal(a):

          > I did (let them have it if they want to), but I told them it's going to
          > look silly in an ad headline... the reason I asked here was to confirm
          > whether that's not just my theory/preference..

        • Pilucha, Jiri
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 9, 2012
            Re> „it looks weird in a Czech sentence, especially when the word is conjugated (it has an ending tacked onto it, which makes it sound Czech, AND technically it's not the Trade Mark any more, Android is, but AndroidEM isn't, I doubt they registered every possible variant in all languages)... this is a cultural thing“

            I’d say it’s a legal thing rather than a cultural thing.
            They don’t need to „register every possible variant in all languages“, simply because (legally) you are not permitted to change the word in any way. Conjugating the word is violation of the Trade Mark. Strictly speaking you should never use „Androidem“ but always „operacnim systemem Android“. It’s not about „what works better in Czech“ but about multimillion lawsuits. Obviously, it is a pain in the *ss to do this all the time, but here’s the key point: if your client releases your translation wehere the word is changed and thus the trade mark violated (especially in high visibility instances such as advertisng), it’s THEM who’s running the risk of legal action against them. Highly unlikely but not unheard of.

            That much for conjugating the TM-ed words. As for using TM on every occurrence of the word, I agree it’s a lot more elegant to resolve it by small print footnotes instead, and that’s exactly what you see most of the time in the US too (i.e. it’s not a matter of „decent language feeling“ of Czechs as Martin put it) but if the client insists on it I can see no reason why stubbornly refuse it.

            Jiri

            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 9, 2012
              I beg to disagree, Jirka. The Czech web, media and space around us are
              full of conjugated forms of all kinds of brand names, not only Adroid.
              No one seem to initiate any lawsuits because of that, let alone
              multimilion lawsuits. What would you want to claim/complaint of? Brani
              znacky bozi bez trejdmarku do ust nadarmo? What harm this should make to
              whom? No one will tell you why even if you ask your clients. A legal
              thing, yes. I can almost hear American lawyers: 'We don't think you
              would need to use furcoats in Borneo but please keep wearing them, just
              in case a snow storm arrives.'

              As to stubborn refusals - it depends what is my goal. Whether to make
              the paying customer happy whatever the costs are, or to make the end
              user of my text happy. I go for the latter... and if the paying
              customer is reasonable and listen to me, s/he will be happy too. (And I
              am trying hard to keep the reasonable ones and avoid the rest.)

              Martin

              Dne 9.8.2012 21:19, Pilucha, Jiri napsal(a):

              > Re> „it looks weird in a Czech sentence, especially when the word is
              > conjugated (it has an ending tacked onto it, which makes it sound
              > Czech, AND technically it's not the Trade Mark any more, Android is,
              > but AndroidEM isn't, I doubt they registered every possible variant in
              > all languages)... this is a cultural thing“
              >
              > I’d say it’s a legal thing rather than a cultural thing.
              > They don’t need to „register every possible variant in all languages“,
              > simply because (legally) you are not permitted to change the word in
              > any way. Conjugating the word is violation of the Trade Mark. Strictly
              > speaking you should never use „Androidem“ but always „operacnim
              > systemem Android“. It’s not about „what works better in Czech“ but
              > about multimillion lawsuits. Obviously, it is a pain in the *ss to do
              > this all the time, but here’s the key point: if your client releases
              > your translation wehere the word is changed and thus the trade mark
              > violated (especially in high visibility instances such as advertisng),
              > it’s THEM who’s running the risk of legal action against them. Highly
              > unlikely but not unheard of.
              >
              > That much for conjugating the TM-ed words. As for using TM on every
              > occurrence of the word, I agree it’s a lot more elegant to resolve it
              > by small print footnotes instead, and that’s exactly what you see most
              > of the time in the US too (i.e. it’s not a matter of „decent language
              > feeling“ of Czechs as Martin put it) but if the client insists on it I
              > can see no reason why stubbornly refuse it.
              >
              > Jiri

            • Pilucha, Jiri
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 9, 2012
                Martine,

                (a) as to conjugation of Trade Names

                in a corporate environment I’ve been trained to strictly avoid any legal risk and you may rightly regard it a professional deformation. But professional issues aside, personally I am willing to respect legal rights of others, even in purely formal aspects where non-compliance may not cause any big harm. In today’s environment where most people don’t give a damn e.g. about copyright (to which trademark issues are somewhat related in nature) I see it as a symbolic gesture of respect which I consciously wish to express. Of course a lot depends on the type of text (a novel, blog, opinion column, Facebook posting, as opposed to official documents, product documentation, advertisements…)

                About a lawsuit, I noted that it was „highly unlikely but not unheard of“. In 99.9999999% of cases they won‘t sue. But for instance I’ve heard of corporation X which sued their client (!) for using X’s logo in lower than camera-ready resolution and they succeeded. If you ask me I don’t want to be the 0.00000001%.

                (b) as to client satisfaction

                Re: „Whether to make the paying customer happy whatever the costs are…“ -- I don’t entirely understand the horrendous cost of attaching TM to the product name. What’s the big deal here? (Admittedly, what I don’t understand either is why would they bother getting back to you about this rather than making the cosmetic change themselves)

                Jiri

                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 9, 2012
                  Diky Jirko a Martine for further input..

                  Re conjugating Android - these were advertising headlines, Jirko, if I
                  said 's operacnim systemem Android' every time, they would sound stupid
                  and would not fit into the banner/on billboards because they'd be twice
                  as long.. some brand names are best not conjugated (and then you need a
                  'berlicka', hopefully shorter than this), but some conjugate very well
                  - and Android is one of those, see around as Martin said (I think it's
                  because we think of it - the name - as a person?)... it wasn't my idea
                  or persistence to conjugate it - it's been done before in other
                  headlines of that particular client, plus it really makes sense here,
                  the headlines would just be stupid otherwise..

                  Thanks for enlightening me on the legal/TM situation - now that I think
                  of it it makes sense, but I don't think anyone's likely to be enforcing
                  the no conjugation rule

                  Re client satisfaction.. I didn't insist, I just told them using TM in
                  every headline is not what we do in Czech, that it looks weird because
                  of this and that (conjugation being one of those) and that it is
                  usually dealt with in small print in Czech ads and that I'd recommend
                  dropping it to get the best result (Martin's example with Spanish
                  question marks - although it's not exactly the same thing - is a good
                  way to explain this, I'll use it next time..)... It was their call in
                  the end and we'll see how they decided when the adverts are out..

                  Thanks again

                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 9, 2012
                    On a related issue:

                    Dneska uz se to micha, protoze vetsina fotaku zaroven nataci video,
                    navic i poloprofesionalni digitalni zrcadlovky nataceji video tak
                    kvalitne, ze je profesionalove pouzivaji jako video kamery... nicmene:

                    Ja si nemuzu pomoct a pokazde kdyz vidim, ze nekdo prelozil slovo
                    camera (a byl to fotak, kompakt) jako 'KAMERA', tak se mi zjezi vlasy
                    na hlave.. Jde zase o podobnou situaci - kratke reklamni slogany... on
                    je problem, ze oficialni slovo je 'fotoaparat', coz zni strasne
                    zastarale a skolometsky, takze uplne nejlepsi je se tomu nejak vyhnout,
                    ale kdyz uz to nejde, tak prece nemuzeme rict kamera, nebo jo? Dalsi
                    souvisejici problem je, ze fotak je muzskeho rodu a kamera zenskeho,
                    takze i kdyz se v nejakem sloganu to slovo primo nevyskytne, u toho
                    omezence (podle me) co si v halve rika 'kamera' jsou tam najednou
                    koncovky zenskeho rodu..

                    Jak rikam, dneska uz se to asi dost stira a mladi co maj odmalicka
                    telefony s pomalu lepsim fotakem nez jsem mel jako profesionalni
                    fotograf uz mozna slovo kamera vypusti z ust bez uzardeni, ale kdyz je
                    to na papire tak to podle me nejde, ono ani v hovoru snad nikdo nerekne
                    vezmi si kameru a vyfot to, nebo jo? Kdyz nekdo rekne kamera, tak to
                    povazuju za presmyk v hlave, protoze premyslel v anglictine, pokud to
                    nekdo napise, tak to povazuju za chybu..

                    No zkratka muj dalsi dotaz je, jestli mam pravdu, kdyz tvrdim, ze v CZ
                    musi byt (still) camera, tedy neco, co je primarne urceno na foceni, i
                    kdyz to umi i nejake to video, vzdycky FOTAK/fotoaparat a KAMERA je jen
                    a pouze video kamera, filmova kamera atd., tedy neco co je primarne
                    urceno na nataceni pohyblivych obrazku.. - nebo jestli jsem jen prilis
                    upjaty:)

                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 10, 2012
                      Mateji,

                      muzu dosvedcit, ze i muj starsi synek, studujici (filmovou) kameru na VS
                      a pouzivajici k nataceni zrcadlovku Canon, rika stale fotaku fotak a
                      kamere kamera. Je mu 21, takze pripadna delici cara ocividne neni dana
                      vekem, ale tak leda ignorantstvim. Nekdy je to ale fakt otazka. Treba u
                      Canonu vsech rad je jejich fotakovstvi jasne geneticky dano, ale
                      prekladal jsem manualy ke kompaktnim krabickam za 6 tisic, ze kterych
                      trcel objektiv, umely tocit i fotit, a nevypadaly ani jako klasicky
                      fotak, ani jako kamera. A ted babo rad, jak to vlastne nazvat. Jasne,
                      lze se ponorit do manualu a zjistovat, ktera funkce prevlada, ale byla
                      to dost fuska a nazev jsem behem te prace asi 2x menil.

                      Ze je fotoaparat slovo pachnouci naftalinem a fotak zas nespisovne, to
                      je jina vec. Ale vyrazy jako fotit, fotka a fotak se pomalu vkradaji i
                      do beznych serioznich medii, takze treba casem zespisovni. Do te doby
                      bych zkusil klickovat a kde zni fotoaparat drevene, rikat - pokud to
                      pujde - treba pristroj?

                      Martin

                      Dne 10.8.2012 8:57, Matej Klimes napsal(a):

                      > On a related issue:
                      >
                      > Dneska uz se to micha, protoze vetsina fotaku zaroven nataci video,
                      > navic i poloprofesionalni digitalni zrcadlovky nataceji video tak
                      > kvalitne, ze je profesionalove pouzivaji jako video kamery... nicmene:
                      >
                      > Ja si nemuzu pomoct a pokazde kdyz vidim, ze nekdo prelozil slovo
                      > camera (a byl to fotak, kompakt) jako 'KAMERA', tak se mi zjezi vlasy
                      > na hlave.. Jde zase o podobnou situaci - kratke reklamni slogany... on
                      > je problem, ze oficialni slovo je 'fotoaparat', coz zni strasne
                      > zastarale a skolometsky, takze uplne nejlepsi je se tomu nejak vyhnout,
                      > ale kdyz uz to nejde, tak prece nemuzeme rict kamera, nebo jo? Dalsi
                      > souvisejici problem je, ze fotak je muzskeho rodu a kamera zenskeho,
                      > takze i kdyz se v nejakem sloganu to slovo primo nevyskytne, u toho
                      > omezence (podle me) co si v halve rika 'kamera' jsou tam najednou
                      > koncovky zenskeho rodu..
                      >
                      > Jak rikam, dneska uz se to asi dost stira a mladi co maj odmalicka
                      > telefony s pomalu lepsim fotakem nez jsem mel jako profesionalni
                      > fotograf uz mozna slovo kamera vypusti z ust bez uzardeni, ale kdyz je
                      > to na papire tak to podle me nejde, ono ani v hovoru snad nikdo nerekne
                      > vezmi si kameru a vyfot to, nebo jo? Kdyz nekdo rekne kamera, tak to
                      > povazuju za presmyk v hlave, protoze premyslel v anglictine, pokud to
                      > nekdo napise, tak to povazuju za chybu..
                      >
                      > No zkratka muj dalsi dotaz je, jestli mam pravdu, kdyz tvrdim, ze v CZ
                      > musi byt (still) camera, tedy neco, co je primarne urceno na foceni, i
                      > kdyz to umi i nejake to video, vzdycky FOTAK/fotoaparat a KAMERA je jen
                      > a pouze video kamera, filmova kamera atd., tedy neco co je primarne
                      > urceno na nataceni pohyblivych obrazku.. - nebo jestli jsem jen prilis
                      > upjaty:)

                    • Jan Culka
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 10, 2012
                        Ahoj Mateji,
                        cítím to podobne jako Ty (asi uz jsem taky zastaralý skolomet), ale myslím, ze je treba prekládat (still) camera jako fotoaparát ve vsech textech (nebo aspon tech oficiálnejsích), a v méne oficiálních mozná foták.
                        Videokamera, televizní kamera, filmová kamera zustávají pro záznam pohyblivého obrazu.
                        Ale treba se to casem taky prizpusobí anglosaskému stylu, jako v mnoha dalsích prípadech.
                        Honza

                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 10, 2012
                          Ahoj Mateji,

                          ja zastavam stejny postoj, jaky navrhujes, ale nerikal bych tomu "mit
                          pravdu" nebo "byt upjaty", spise to muze predstavovat "konzervativni"
                          pristup. Vyvoj cestiny se zda smerovat k urcite konvergenci s
                          anglictinou i za cenu nepresnosti i vyslovenych nesmyslu, rozhodne na
                          neformalni urovni, ktera samozrejme kvantitativne naprosto prevlada,
                          treba i ve sdelovacich prostredcich (rozumnej "mediich"). Rekl bych, ze
                          statni system formalniho vzdelavani vykazuje o rad nizsi ucinnost vlivu
                          na vyvoj jazyka nez konzumni zivotni styl. Asi to je jeden z projevu
                          relativne liberalnich politickych pomeru.

                          Take jsem v odbornem textu (geodetika) narazil na vyraz "(fotograficka)
                          komora", ale ten evidentne nebude vhodny pro vetsinu prekladu slova
                          "camera"...

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 10, 2012
                            Jasne, dik..

                            klickuju co muzu a v posledni dobe - do tech sloganu - FOTAK klidne
                            davam, protoze to ma byt takove osobni a cerstve - ty slogany jsou
                            vsechny v ich-forme, jako ze to ten fotak rika, a hovorove vyrazy se
                            tam pouzivaji i jinde... pristroj nebo zarizeni by tam znely moc
                            kozene, kamera to rozhodne neni a fotoaparat z pusy v hovoru nikdo
                            nevypusti..

                            Re krabicky co umi oboji, tezko rict, ale ja se jeste nesetkal s necim,
                            cemu bych mohl v CZ rikat KAMERA (co by bylo primarne urceno na
                            nataceni pohyblivych obrazku) a co by zaroven umelo fotit jednotlive
                            snimky a melo nejake ty funkce fotaku, ktere nesouvisi s natacenim
                            videa... kdyz to umi oboji, tak je to podle me furt fotak, i kdyz je
                            pravda, ze ta hranice bude cim dal tim rozmazanejsi.. v mobilech se
                            tomu porad rika fotak - i te aplikaci - i kdyz to stejne dobre umi
                            natacet video a prepina se to jednim tlacitkem (a je to velke jak
                            tabletka aspirinu - ted jsem menil praskly display na svem Googlephonu
                            a nestacil jsem se divit..)

                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 10, 2012
                              No ono problem je, ze anglosasky styl neznamena, ze by tomu rikali
                              stejne nebo ze by to misili, jen pro to pouzivaji stejne slovo, ale
                              oficialni nazev fotaku (ktery si kazdy tak nejak predstavi v have) je
                              still camera... i kdyz pro oboji pouzivaji stejne slovo, ten rozdil tam
                              je, zduraznuje se spise u te kamery kdyz se chce nekdo ujistit, ze vime
                              o cem mluvi..

                              Je to tim, ze si to slovo vzali z Camery Obscury, coz byl princip
                              prvnich fotaku... a protoze jsou zvykli na to, hadat vse z kontextu,
                              tak se pozdeji nenamahali vytvorit jine slovo kdyz bratia Lumierovci ty
                              fotky rozpohybovali.... to u nas kdybychom fotaku od zacatku rikali
                              kamera tak kameram dneska rikame 'pohyblivoobrazkovace' :)

                              >cítím to podobne jako Ty (asi uz jsem taky zastaralý skolomet), ale
                              >myslím, ze je treba prekládat (still) camera jako fotoaparát ve vsech
                              >textech (nebo aspon tech oficiálnejsích), a v méne oficiálních mozná
                              >foták.
                              >Videokamera, televizní kamera, filmová kamera zustávají pro záznam
                              >pohyblivého obrazu.
                              >Ale treba se to casem taky prizpusobí anglosaskému stylu, jako v mnoha
                              >dalsích prípadech.
                              >Honza

                            • Pilucha, Jiri
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 10, 2012
                                Mateji, ja myslel, ze kamere rikaji camcorder, anebo to ma nejaky uzsi vyznam?
                                J.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 11, 2012
                                  Jo, to je pravda, video kamera je camcorder, jako ze nahrava, filmova
                                  ne, ale v normalnim hovoru - a s dnesnimi mini krabickami co maji SD
                                  karty misto kazet - se to myslim uz tak nepouziva

                                  Tohle je proste jen camera:

                                  http://gopro.com/hd-hero-cameras/

                                  ... ale tohle zase camcorder, takze kdyz to vypada jako byvala video
                                  kamera s kazetou, tak se ten nazev asi drzi..

                                  http://www.gtmstores.com/i-7806136-panasonic-hd-camcorder-hdc-sd90.html

                                  ... ale ja nechtel anglosasum mluvit do toho jak cemu rikaji, jen se
                                  ujistit ze muj problem se slovem kamera pro fotak neni jen muj :)

                                • vtalacko@ageng.pair.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 11, 2012
                                    We call it a video camera, although some people call it a camcorder.
                                    They're the same thing, as far as I know - it's just a matter of
                                    preference. Camcorder is probably used more when selling them, but it
                                    sounds a bit artificial - people (as far as I know) are more likely to say
                                    day-to-day "should I take the video camera?" rather than "should I take
                                    the camcorder?"

                                    Valerie

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012
                                      This is late, but now that we're all back online, I'll weigh in on this one.

                                      As for English (American) usage of the TM symbol, when I worked in advertising -- and I worked for what, at the time, was "the world's largest advertising agency" -- we did not put the TM symbol after every incidence of the brand name.

                                      According to our legal department (and subsequent departments I worked with at other agencies), the TM symbol did not have to appear after the trademark every time, but just often enough that it's clear that it's a registered trademark.

                                      In practice, this meant that we put the TM symbol (or R symbol, or SM symbol) after the trademark the first time it appeared on each page, and left it off the rest of the time.

                                      We virtually never put the TM symbol after the trademark every time it appeared -- only if we had a nutty client who insisted on it, which was rare.

                                      Jamie

                                      On Aug 8, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                                      > A client's client insists on using TM in superscript above the word
                                      > Android in advertising copy in Czech, where the word Android is
                                      > conjugated, i.e. it's an advert headline that says someting like (made
                                      > up example):
                                      >
                                      > Rozumim si s Androidem - where the ENG original was something like 'I
                                      > am made for Android'
                                      >
                                      > (the adverts are for a consumer electronic device unrelated to
                                      > Android/google, just using it and the bits in questions are headlines,
                                      > not body copies, or small print..)
                                      >
                                      > It wasn't there originally, but now the client's client (the
                                      > manufacturer) came back saying there has to be a (TM) after every
                                      > Android - makes sense (and looks/sounds fine) in English, but I'm
                                      > trying to tell them that we don't normally use it in Czech in plain
                                      > text (let alone in advertising copy/headlines), I guess the main reason
                                      > is that it's an English abbreviation and it looks weird in a Czech
                                      > sentence, especially when the word is conjugated (it has an ending
                                      > tacked onto it, which makes it sound Czech, AND technically it's not
                                      > the Trade Mark any more, Android is, but AndroidEM isn't, I doubt they
                                      > registered every possible variant in all languages)... this is a
                                      > cultural thing, we just don't do it in text or in copy - there'll be a
                                      > small print footnote saying that Coca Cola is registered TM of xxx etc.
                                      > (in Czech), but the copy itself - especially headlines - will not have
                                      > any TM in it in Czech adverts...
                                      >
                                      > Can you confirm (or not) this feeling/opinion? Both Czech and ENG
                                      > speakers? Thoughts?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks
                                      >
                                      > Matej

                                    • Pilucha, Jiri
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012
                                        Exactly! By sheer coincidence I've just come across the following internal instruction issued by a US-based Corporation (XY) to its Marketing

                                        "XY trademarks and service marks should be identified and distinguished in marketing material copy by using either a (R) or TM after XY trademark's first reference in headlines and body text. Subsequent references do not need to include the (R) or TM after the trademark name."